E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > MHD N55 E-Series - general discussion

08-03-2020, 10:40 AM   #8647
Achappell8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi M Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRigs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achappell8 View Post
Thanks NRigs. I do have a VRSF upgraded FMIC, the new design 5"
Ah gotcha. Sorry I missed the "plus" at the end of your tune version. but 100* IAT is still never good. I have been in the same boat. It has been really hot up here in Ma and even with meth I am still getting some corrections.
Hey I'm in MA too. These temps are outrageous.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 12:01 AM   #8648
Tagzz
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I'm not sure what map to run, I have JB4, Burger Intake, burger Charge pipe, and straight piped exhaust... Can somebody help me out? Or have any customer maps you know of? I run 91 Octane as well... Oh, I drive a 2011 335i e90 N55

[IMG]undefined[/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 12:24 PM   #8649
rmap3k4mhdac6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Ah gotcha. Sorry I missed the "plus" at the end of your tune version. but 100* IAT is still never good. I have been in the same boat. It has been really hot up here in Ma and even with meth I am still getting some corrections.
I feel like when it is this hot out, even with a pretty good FMIC, if your gas isn't 100% 93oct, it's gonna pull timing. I feel like there are a lot of gas stations selling 93ish octane gas, so maybe all 93 isn't quite 93. Something to due with (R+M)/2 calculation of the octane rating. If you switch the map down to 91 and the corrections go away, then I guess your gas is somewhere between 91 and 93, even though it was advertised as 93.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 12:28 PM   #8650
Achappell8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmap3k4mhdac6 View Post
Quote:
I feel like when it is this hot out, even with a pretty good FMIC, if your gas isn't 100% 93oct, it's gonna pull timing. I feel like there are a lot of gas stations selling 93ish octane gas, so maybe all 93 isn't quite 93. Something to due with (R+M)/2 calculation of the octane rating. If you switch the map down to 91 and the corrections go away, then I guess your gas is somewhere between 91 and 93, even though it was advertised as 93.
So you don't think I should be overly concerned with the stats in the log?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 01:03 PM   #8651
rmap3k4mhdac6
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
So you don't think I should be overly concerned with the stats in the log?
Other than the timing correction, this seems good. I personally daily drive my car on 93 gas with the 91 tune and I almost never see consistent timing pulls (like 3 degrees or more over more than 3 cylinders). I would consider myself a little overly cautious though. 6 degrees across multiple cylinders is something you don't want to be doing all summer.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 01:16 PM   #8652
NRigs
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmap3k4mhdac6 View Post
There have been quite a few people complaining about the quality of 93 up here in Ma/Nh. I was filling up with BJ's gas because I get 93 for like $2/gal with the membership discount but noticed increased timing. I have been going further out of my way to fill up with Shell 93 now and my corrections have improved a bit. I would definitely recommend everyone to fill with shell or equivalent gas if they can. Seems more consistent.
      08-04-2020, 03:18 PM   #8653
Achappell8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
I have been going further out of my way to fill up with Shell 93 now and my corrections have improved a bit. I would definitely recommend everyone to fill with shell or equivalent gas if they can.
I fill up exclusively at Shell (East Providence & Attleboro stations). Given my logs, it may still not be 100%. I did reflash down to a 91 tune for now until it cools off. I don't drive too much right now (covid) but just overly cautious on my 110k Stage 2+ joy machine.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 07:50 PM   #8654
unrulyteach
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Can anyone look at my log and tell me why I'm not hitting peak boost? https://datazap.me/u/unrulyteach/3rd...&data=3-16
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 08:26 PM   #8655
Achappell8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by unrulyteach View Post
Can anyone look at my log and tell me why I'm not hitting peak boost? https://datazap.me/u/unrulyteach/3rd...&data=3-16
I'm not an expert so take this with a grain of salt but from reading all the forums and various responses to log posts - it looks like your waste gate is maxing out or close to it in your log (wdgc %). I think this is usually indicative of a boost leak since your waste gate is trying to increase vacuum to hold boost & achieve the DMEs target (but failing to achieve)
Appreciate 1
      08-06-2020, 06:27 PM   #8656
Vegas N55
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i XDrive

I love the MHD OTS E50 tune on my PWG e92 2012 335i XDrive that I just installed a EWG turbo from F87 BMW m2 on. Had to shave the EWG wastegate bracket off the m2 housing and use a bolt on RB26dett wastegate bracket for the PWG wastegate. That compressor though! I usually run a mix of e85 and 100 octane. Do not run E50 tune without at least a walbro 450 or 255 inline. MHD tunes are so good. I have been using them for over 2 years with no issues.

Last edited by Vegas N55; 08-06-2020 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
E92only11.50

08-07-2020, 12:56 AM   #8657
WantsToBuyA335
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrulyteach View Post
Can anyone look at my log and tell me why I'm not hitting peak boost? https://datazap.me/u/unrulyteach/3rd...og=0&data=3-16
Quote:
I'm not an expert so take this with a grain of salt but from reading all the forums and various responses to log posts - it looks like your waste gate is maxing out or close to it in your log (wdgc %). I think this is usually indicative of a boost leak since your waste gate is trying to increase vacuum to hold boost & achieve the DMEs target (but failing to achieve)
Also not an expert but I think the logs look pretty decent. Don't worry about meeting targets perfectly, especially with IATs of 113. A better intercooler would probably help, but from what I understand 16 psi at the top of the rev range is pretty damn good for stock turbos.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 06:36 AM   #8658
lab_rat
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Garage List
2012 135i  [0.00]
2006 BMW E90 330i  [0.00]
Completed a good run yesterday afternoon.

2012 135i DCT
FMIC & CP
Ambient temp: 100*
MHD Stage 1+
93 OCT

Thoughts and observations always welcome.

https://datazap.me/u/labrat/6august2...38;data=3-8-20
BMW brings on a new meaning to Kidney Failure.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 09:24 AM   #8659
Achappell8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Maybe some of the more knowledgeable folks on here can help me learn to better interpret my logs:

1. What is the difference between Timing Cyl. 1 (*CRK) & Cyl [1-6] Timing Cor (*)?

2. What are these three parameters:
  • Boost Ratio (TPS)
  • Boost set limit
  • Boost setpoint factor

3. I understand that LTFT (%), STFT 1 (%) are long & short term fuel trims, but how do you analyze them? What's would you look for?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 09:59 AM   #8660
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Maybe some of the more knowledgeable folks on here can help me learn to better interpret my logs:

1. What is the difference between Timing Cyl. 1 (*CRK) & Cyl [1-6] Timing Cor (*)?

2. What are these three parameters:
  • Boost Ratio (TPS)
  • Boost set limit
  • Boost setpoint factor

3. I understand that LTFT (%), STFT 1 (%) are long & short term fuel trims, but how do you analyze them? What's would you look for?
1. The difference is ; one (crk) is the 'actual timing' and COR is the corrected after it has detected a anomaly from using its knock sensor (microphone). Wheb the dme decides to ignite changes all the time based on many parameters. (Crk). When a dme decides to COR is dependant on the knock sensor.

2. These parameters are not clear and generally more useful for tuner not user.

3. All you need to know is that under load STFT should be negative. And LTFT ideally should be zero. LtFT will adjust over time to be close to zero unless u reset adaptations.
Appreciate 1
lab_rat275.50

08-08-2020, 02:20 PM   #8661
Achappell8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
1. The difference is ; one (crk) is the 'actual timing' and COR is the corrected after it has detected a anomaly from using its knock sensor (microphone). Wheb the dme decides to ignite changes all the time based on many parameters. (Crk). When a dme decides to COR is dependant on the knock sensor.
Thank you for responding, very helpful. When people talk about timing corrections, is it safe to assume they are referring to the *COR and not the *CRK? I am getting all sorts of negative numbers in the *COR of my logs and trying to understand if there is an issue or if this is normal.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 07:43 PM   #8662
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you for responding, very helpful. When people talk about timing corrections, is it safe to assume they are referring to the *COR and not the *CRK? I am getting all sorts of negative numbers in the *COR of my logs and trying to understand if there is an issue or if this is normal.

Thanks in advance!
People use CRK when they refer to timing (even if both parameters are consider timing) and use COR when they talk about corrections.

If you troubleshoot your logs without going deeply into tuning on your own, you will probably mostly/onky use COR.

Send logs!

08-09-2020, 11:41 AM   #8663
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Ideally negative numbers are not good. Up to -3 is ok. Negative COR values should only be looked at for the portion of the log where u have fully pressed ur gas pedal (WOT). They are irrelevant any other time.

When you look at CRK for 1 of the cylinders on the WOT portion you will see that timing advance drops to below 10. Typical is 5.5 degrees up to 9.

That is the timing that the dme is using for that instant in time. As soon as an abnormal condition is derected by the sensors the dme will then subtract from that timing value. Hence the negative COR. ( corrected amount).

Say you go full wot and the timing actual is 5 degrees during your pull. When a knock is detected DME will 'pull' accordingly timing in negative values to lower timing and make the combustion safe. Timing is just the 'actual time" the dme deicides to ignite.

The ideal time is when piston is at the top of its travel. Top dead center as its called.

The higher the timing the more power a car makes. As i said you need to look at these numbers only during WOT. For power. If u look at the timing any other time its more for effeciency.

The best analogy i have heard for ignition timing is the peadal on a bycicle. The best time to push on the pedal is when is at the top. If you push on each stroke when the pedal is at the bottom then u get more tired and ur ride slower. But its safer on ur knees. Lol.
Appreciate 1
lab_rat275.50

08-09-2020, 02:25 PM   #8664
WantsToBuyA335
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport LCI

Quote:
Ideally negative numbers are not good. Up to -3 is ok. Negative COR values should only be looked at for the portion of the log where u have fully pressed ur gas pedal (WOT)...
Ignition timing is bit more complicated than that. Having ignition timing at TDC would be 0 of timing, when like you said more advanced timing actually makes more power, ie the sparkplug actually fires before the piston reaches TDC giving the spark time to propagate and burn all the fuel. This of course generates more heat and greater pressures and so with more advanced timing octane becomes a more important consideration. Higher octane fuels are more resistant to detonation, and so more aggressive timing can be used. When you see timing pulls the ECU has detected knock (or in severe cases super-knock) using microphones and responded by quickly retarding the timing to prevent damage as the uncontrolled detonation can/will cause damage. Two solutions to this problem, higher octane fuel or less aggressive timing/boost targets. It's also a good idea to change out your sparkplugs and ignition coils if you're seeing larger timing corrections across multiple cylinders as the pressure in the cylinder can blow out weaker spark and cause knock that way too.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 07:50 AM   #8665
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantsToBuyA335 View Post
Ignition timing is bit more complicated than that. Having ignition timing at TDC would be 0 of timing, when like you said more advanced timing actually makes more power, ie the sparkplug actually fires before the piston reaches TDC giving the spark time to propagate and burn all the fuel. This of course generates more heat and greater pressures and so with more advanced timing octane becomes a more important consideration. Higher octane fuels are more resistant to detonation, and so more aggressive timing can be used. When you see timing pulls the ECU has detected knock (or in severe cases super-knock) using microphones and responded by quickly retarding the timing to prevent damage as the uncontrolled detonation can/will cause damage. Two solutions to this problem, higher octane fuel or less aggressive timing/boost targets. It's also a good idea to change out your sparkplugs and ignition coils if you're seeing larger timing corrections across multiple cylinders as the pressure in the cylinder can blow out weaker spark and cause knock that way too.
Yeah my intention is to keep it to the point and as simple as possible. I went on too much.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 03:30 PM   #8666
Hxngs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I

How long does it take to reset an adaptation?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 11:17 AM   #8667
Schmidty335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i PS2 turbo FBO JB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagzz View Post
I'm not sure what map to run, I have JB4, Burger Intake, burger Charge pipe, and straight piped exhaust... Can somebody help me out? Or have any customer maps you know of? I run 91 Octane as well... Oh, I drive a 2011 335i e90 N55
you will want to run the 98G0B pump BEF.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:23 PM   #8668
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hxngs View Post
How long does it take to reset an adaptation?
As long as it takes a solid state device to switch the state. Like micro seconds.

Nowww if your asking how long does it take for an already reset adaption request to fully adapt. Will depend on how often u drive and alot of other variables but lets say 100 miles of driving should be good.
Appreciate 0