E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Interior vibration at idle in gear

01-29-2017, 09:02 AM   #23
auntulna
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d, 2005 Passat TDI

I also own 2005 VW Passat TDI, a longitudinal motor. This same thing, vibration in gear at idle, is very common in them.

People have replaced motor mounts if leaking fluid, transmission mount(this helped the most in mine-they are big chunks of rubber and the cracks can't be seen until they are in your hand).

Alternator pulley is sometimes the reason, less likely. I don't yet know how much work to get at 335d tranny mounts, but would consider giving them a closer look.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 09:15 AM   #24
Capn Crunch
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Transmission mounts are super easy, I torqued them down. The rubber is really soft and pliable still. I'll revisit the transmission mounts just to eliminate.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 09:53 PM   #25
Capn Crunch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well after driving about 30 miles the car seems to have zero vibration. There was no vibration in reverse from the instant I changed the drivers motor mount.
While the vibration has always gone away at full operating temperature it would come back as the car cooled down to a certain point. After the car sitting for 4 hours today there were no vibrations... So the real test will be tomorrow morning... I will keep the thread updated.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 11:54 PM   #26
OmahaDZL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

injectors

Hey Capn,
I experienced this behavior as well. I notice it the most when Im sitting in a drive through...extremely rough idle...which goes away if you put it in park... I attribute that behavior to removing the drag on the engine.... But my problem seems to have stemmed from injector issues....

1 injector had a cracked plastic head and had fuel inside it, 2 other injectors didnt get installed well enough to compress the brass ring at the bottom. I was getting smooth running codes pretty regularly, but it wasnt for the injectors with the issues, the one throwing the code was trying to compensate for the ones with the issues....

So I suggest going to the smooth running area of rheingold or ista and see what it says....I definitely had 1 injector way out of wack....I pulled 4 of the 6 and found quite a few issues... as of now it appears that the problem has been solved though after replacing one injector and testing/reinstalling the others.

Of course....that is if your mounts dont fix the issue
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 06:26 AM   #27
Capn Crunch
Enlisted Member
Rep

The idle doesn't seem to be rough per se. It is more of an "ultra sonic" type of vibration. But if the motor mounts don't fix it I will check that out too.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 04:48 PM   #28
Owen81
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d, 17/22 TDI

Have you checked the giubo (often misspelled guibo)? There have been reports of the rubber ones failing. See THIS THREAD
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 07:06 PM   #29
Capn Crunch
Enlisted Member
Rep

I visually inspected it but did not dismantle the drive shaft from the trans or differential to inspect fully. The guibo is typically only going to be an issue while the transmission is turning or powering the rear drive shaft.

So this morning there was a slight vibration upon placing it in gear. The vibration is far less than yesterday morning. I parked at my son's school for 20 minutes and the car did not vibrate for the rest of the day. After being parked for 6 hours it still was vibration free. It would have normally had the vibration as it cooled down slightly. I am not sure if the motor mounts need a break in period... but I think the motor mount fixed the general issue after a bit of thrive time on the new motor mount.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2018, 10:55 PM   #30
Capn Crunch
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just a little update on this. About 2-3 months later the passenger side mount failed and I replaced it. The slight vibration, I was still feeling in the car, was caused by the other mount. After replacing both mounts the car is vibration free.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 10:44 AM   #31
syrinxstar
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

What was your mileage, Capn?

I’m at 121k and sounding identical to your issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 06:25 AM   #32
ground_zero
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335d sport package

Garage List
2010 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I've been having this periodically, I know for a fact my passenger side motor mount is going out but like all repairs I need to do waiting for funds....
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 01:06 PM   #33
Xerix
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

I noticed a similar problem with my car just recently.

I too replaced my harmonic balancer this past December but didn't notice anything until the temperature dropped to -22 C. At idle the car would vibrate more than normal. When the temperature increased to -11 C, the car felt normal. Under load the car felt fine as well with no extra vibrations at either temperature.

So I am hoping that this is the issue and that they last until the spring, ideally i'm hoping the vacuum line needs replacing and not the mounts.

Lastly, Thanks for your posts, hopefully they just helped me diagnose what the problem is.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 05:06 PM   #34
leo_du_garde
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5, 335d, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerix View Post
I noticed a similar problem with my car just recently.

I too replaced my harmonic balancer this past December but didn't notice anything until the temperature dropped to -22 C. At idle the car would vibrate more than normal. When the temperature increased to -11 C, the car felt normal. Under load the car felt fine as well with no extra vibrations at either temperature.

So I am hoping that this is the issue and that they last until the spring, ideally i'm hoping the vacuum line needs replacing and not the mounts.

Lastly, Thanks for your posts, hopefully they just helped me diagnose what the problem is.
Same issue with my 335d. Not too concerned. Seems only at very low outside temps. I usually just put car in neutral during a red light stop. Once warm it goes away.
Appreciate 0