E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Water Pump Replacement

02-07-2019, 10:03 AM   #1
slamb750
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Water Pump Replacement

Im new to the forum so if this isnt the place to post this question then Im sorry. I have a 2011 335I XDRIVE with 63,000 miles. My car is sitting in storage for the winter but when it comes out I need to replace the water pump and thermostat. Ive seen the kits that have the pump, thermostat, bolts and coolant. My question is, who does everybody recommend I make the purchase from. This car is just a driver, not being modified or track driven. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 10:10 AM   #2
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
FCPEuro has a lifetime warranty on parts. If you plan to keep your car until 120kish miles than probably worth the cost as apparently yours shat the bed at 60k. Otherwise just buy a used one or the cheapest new one you can find.

At least put a tune on your car...
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 12:13 PM   #3
slamb750
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgus View Post
FCPEuro has a lifetime warranty on parts. If you plan to keep your car until 120kish miles than probably worth the cost as apparently yours shat the bed at 60k. Otherwise just buy a used one or the cheapest new one you can find.

What are you recommending for a tune. I want to keep the car dependable.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 12:17 PM   #4
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamb750 View Post
MHD .

I was the same as you didn't want to tune to much to not break things but if you don't run to much the wear is basically somewhat the same as not tune from what people have said on the forums.

I'm still debating getting a intercooler or not once winter is over and run Stage 2+
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 03:35 PM   #5
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Quote:
MHD as said above. Just go with a Off The Shelf tune that comes with it. There is no need for a custom tune, imo, on an n55. On an N54 it does make sense once FBO+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
MHD .

I was the same as you didn't want to tune to much to not break things but if you don't run to much the wear is basically somewhat the same as not tune from what people have said on the forums.

I'm still debating getting a intercooler or not once winter is over and run Stage 2+
You can always flash a more aggressive map, log, and see if you have timing corrections. My guess is you will have them in the summer months and need to flash back to a less aggressive map. The good news is an intercooler is cheap and you can install it in a few hours in your driveway etc. Downpipes are cheap but a bit more work.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 10:16 AM   #6
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Quote:
Im new to the forum so if this isnt the place to post this question then Im sorry. I have a 2011 335I XDRIVE with 63,000 miles. My car is sitting in storage for the winter but when it comes out I need to replace the water pump and thermostat. Ive seen the kits that have the pump, thermostat, bolts and coolant. My question is, who does everybody recommend I make the purchase from. This car is just a driver, not being modified or track driven. Thank you
My recommendation will be expensive but once done you can sleep sound for the remainder of the life of your E90!

I did my water pump at the dealership at a tune of $1400. My BMW dealership was aware that the water pump fails prematurely (with regards to industry standards) every 50,000~ miles and I was inform the replacement pump will come with a lifetime warranty on parts and labor.

I reasoned GOOD aftermarket pumps will run $400 to $500 and TRUSTWORTHY shops were quoting me $400 to $500 for labor. So at worse I was spending around $1,000 outside the dealership on a part destined to fail inside the next 50,000 miles. Why not go up $400 more and never worry about it again.

Good thing about our N55 waterpump is we get a months advance warning when the pump is about to die because I'm sure tow service is not included in BMW lifetime warranty.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 10:35 AM   #7
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You can always flash a more aggressive map, log, and see if you have timing corrections. My guess is you will have them in the summer months and need to flash back to a less aggressive map. The good news is an intercooler is cheap and you can install it in a few hours in your driveway etc. Downpipes are cheap but a bit more work.
Ahhh I wasn't to sure.

Yeah I've been running Stage 2 with catless dwonpipes. Got them installed since it seemed like a bitch of a job.. car feels like it pulls more in winter times but my boost targets should be the same so it's probably placebo and me running stage 0 for some time. (Went back to 2 now, it's sometimes somewhat usable in winter lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
My recommendation will be expensive but once done you can sleep sound for the remainder of the life of your E90!

I did my water pump at the dealership at a tune of $1400. My BMW dealership was aware that the water pump fails prematurely (with regards to industry standards) every 50,000~ miles and I was inform the replacement pump will come with a lifetime warranty on parts and labor.

I reasoned GOOD aftermarket pumps will run $400 to $500 and TRUSTWORTHY shops were quoting me $400 to $500 for labor. So at worse I was spending around $1,000 outside the dealership on a part destined to fail inside the next 50,000 miles. Why not go up $400 more and never worry about it again.

Good thing about our N55 waterpump is we get a months advance warning when the pump is about to die because I'm sure tow service is not included in BMW lifetime warranty.
Or just get the pump for like 300$ with lifetime warranty from FCP and do the work yourself which isn't that bad. Although I see you and OP have Xdrive so I can't comment on that but it's still doable OK based on DIYs.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 11:41 AM   #8
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Please DIY it, it is not a bad job. Belts and pulleys are easy too.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2019, 11:51 AM   #9
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Just with those labor costs you could almost get all the tools you need and jack and jack stands for the common jobs!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 01:31 PM   #10
delmarco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Deep Sea Blue

Quote:

Or just get the pump for like 300$ with lifetime warranty from FCP and do the work yourself which isn't that bad. Although I see you and OP have Xdrive so I can't comment on that but it's still doable OK based on DIYs.
Oh yeah xDrive components get in the way when accessing the Waterpump.

I recall a DIY video on YouTube where a shop guy said that replacing the water pump on an xDrive E9x 3 Series (when compared to the replacing the water pump on the prior E46 3 Series) is like attempting open heart surgery by accessing the heart thru the persons back having to go around the spine.

For me I don't have a space where I can work under the car in a capacity where I am removing bolts and cross members.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE MY BMW E90 MODS:
http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...Mod&UcId=20832
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 04:04 AM   #11
BMW Playground
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08’ BMW 335xi, 95’ Eagle Talon

Quote:

Got mine from FCPEuro. Great site with killer prices and they actually care about BMW quality Got the Siemens VDO pump and thermostat combo. About $400. Did the job in a parking spot on jackstands in about 6 hours. Go through the wheel well. You can do it with the wheel and fender liner on, which I did, but it will be much easiee on clearances if you remove them.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 03:17 PM   #12
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Quote:
Just with those labor costs you could almost get all the tools you need and jack and jack stands for the common jobs!
Quote:
It's exponentially tougher on xDrive. You pretty much have to lower the subframe which is obviously a PITA.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0