E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > New upgraded all aluminum transmission oil pan

02-03-2019, 05:29 PM   #89
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asonchadwick View Post
Xm5 pan, ground clearence issues on 335d, have to modify the aero for the fins, it's doable and already been done by others, pan is expensive and filter is equally expensive.
How much is the uro pan replacement filter and that thin gasket (goes in the flange groove)? I wager that both add up to same $100 i have to pay (see other post with links).

An aside here to really consider for those reading from the bleachers. A new black plastic pan is only $120ish. So, doing the reuasable metal pan isn't really saving that much (call it $20 or so). To be clear, i'm comparing the cost of filter and gasket for $100 vs new plastic one at $120. The value is doing the alum pan is 1) runs cooler 2) pan will not distort from heat 3) its pretty trick looking.

I've read where some of the black pans start to distort from heat and leak from the flange. I read an X5 account where the leak was from the plastic drain plug. He converted to X5M pan and did the 4 sleeves, rectangular adapter, and mechatronic sealing sleeve.

Last edited by BB_cuda; 02-03-2019 at 06:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
robnitro160.00
      02-03-2019, 05:52 PM   #90
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep
Drives: bmw

Apparently there are multiple options for all this
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 09:39 PM   #91
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
How much is the uro pan replacement filter and that thin gasket (goes in the flange groove)? I wager that both add up to same $100 i have to pay (see other post with links).

An aside here to really consider for those reading from the bleachers. A new black plastic pan is only $120ish. So, doing the reuasable metal pan isn't really saving that much (call it $20 or so). To be clear, i'm comparing the cost of filter and gasket for $100 vs new plastic one at $120. The value is doing the alum pan is 1) runs cooler 2) pan will not distort from heat 3) its pretty trick looking.

I've read where some of the black pans start to distort from heat and leak from the flange. I read an X5 account where the leak was from the plastic drain plug. He converted to X5M pan and did the 4 sleeves, rectangular adapter, and mechatronic sealing sleeve.
I’ll answer my own question. OP gave me link to the filter and gasket kit. It’s $49 so if all works out, it’s a money saver. At worst, they use the Alpina filter and the skinny gasket from the kit. So maybe $80 instead of $50. Hope it works out.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 09:43 PM   #92
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

Quote:

That crap drain plug is why I don't like the plastic pan. On my second fluid change, I felt that it was subpar with super thin threads, so I put some silicone around it which might help.

Next change I'm changing the pan anyway to do the mech sleeve, 4 sleeves, and the rectangular piece.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 09:45 PM   #93
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

Cheap parts. Cheap results.. must be an old VW owner.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 06:52 AM   #94
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi Thecastle. I actually want to come see your X5m setup. Specifically, how the close out panel is done in surrounding area. 335dlci just worked on an X5m and says no panel below the trans pan. Can you possibly shoot a picture and post. X5D closes out the black plastic pan with belly panel. Thinking of cutting an air flow hole.

I can’t say that going to alum pan is urgent thing but you know how damn hot we get in Houston. A cooler trans probably helps the fluid last longer. Electronics in mechatronic definately likes cooler fluids.

And as you know, I’m just hell bent on finned diff and trans pans. I have alum trans pan on my Dodge truck with extra 4 quarts capacity.
I’ll shoot some pictures later. The x5m is currently in storage, it’s an occasional driver for me. But if memory serves me there is no cover under the transmission pan on the x5m no plastic shield etc. I’d have to look more carefully but I’d expect it wouldn’t have any clearance issues on a 335d. The upside with the aluminum pan is you don’t have to replace the whole pan like the stock d when you do a filter change. But like you say it’s a minor cost saving on the 4x times you’ll Chan gentomoil probably before the transmission fails at 250k
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 09:21 AM   #95
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep
Drives: 335D black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
How much is heat actually an issue with this transmission anyway?
I don't think anyone has an issue with heat on a street car, but i think a few people who road or autocross have.

looking at the cooler it looks like the trans fluid is cooled by the motor oil or coolant.

i would almost bet money if you removed the stock cooler and installed an external cooler, it would cool better and more efficiently with that and the plastic pan than the stock cooler and a metal pan
      02-04-2019, 12:57 PM   #96
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335stoner View Post
I don't think anyone has an issue with heat on a street car, but i think a few people who road or autocross have.

looking at the cooler it looks like the trans fluid is cooled by the motor oil or coolant.

i would almost bet money if you removed the stock cooler and installed an external cooler, it would cool better and more efficiently with that and the plastic pan than the stock cooler and a metal pan
It's routed through a thermostatically controlled heat exchanger near the radiator that uses coolant. So it clamps the temp to coolant temp which is good.

A fluid to air cooler can be problematic if it over cools the fluid like in winter. Some have internal bypass thermostats.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 01:20 PM   #97
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep

If the plate heat exchanger fails which I've never heard of one failing. Then it will take out the trans.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #98
Thecastle
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2019 RAM 3500  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2000 Ford F450 7.3l ...  [0.00]
Quote:

I would agree, that an external cooler is probably a lot more effective than a fined transmission pan. The upside on the pan however is there is nothing to break. The downside is you always get extra cooling which may keep the transmission cooler than is most efficient. I believe on the gas e90s there is also a transmission cooler thermostat (not sure on the D). If there is a thermostat I suspect calibrating it would be helpful too. Especially since the normal operating temp of the M57 is lower than the gasoline variants, there might be more room to lower temps with the existing setup.

but i've never heard of anyone overheating their trans yet on the diesels, but its possible I'm sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 03:22 PM   #99
tryingtobebest
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:

Completely agree on the COOL part here^

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
It's routed through a thermostatically controlled heat exchanger near the radiator that uses coolant. So it clamps the temp to coolant temp which is good.

A fluid to air cooler can be problematic if it over cools the fluid like in winter. Some have internal bypass thermostats.
Completely agree on OVERCOOL part^, theoretically heat exchanger is there to bring either oil to a "working" temperature faster. But looking how 335d trans cooler (exchanger) is set up, it looks like it is more of a cooler rather then warm up anything... I might be wrong but it takes coolant from the lowest point in the rad and going by most of the pics that i found looks like its thermostatically controlled by the trans oil temperature! So when its get hot it opens up and flow coolant through it (I might be wrong)
Ideal set up would be to remove stock and install aftermarket oil to air with build in thermostat. Thanks, for an idea - Robnitro.

Not sure if anyone needs/seen this:
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 05:19 PM   #100
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep

Easy to add external cooler hardest part is mounting it and running the lines. Also the sandwich plate cooler is thermostatically controlled I believe. What I want is a remote filter mount with a built in tstat and remote cooler.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 10:23 PM   #101
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecastle View Post
I’ll shoot some pictures later. The x5m is currently in storage, it’s an occasional driver for me. But if memory serves me there is no cover under the transmission pan on the x5m no plastic shield etc. I’d have to look more carefully but I’d expect it wouldn’t have any clearance issues on a 335d. The upside with the aluminum pan is you don’t have to replace the whole pan like the stock d when you do a filter change. But like you say it’s a minor cost saving on the 4x times you’ll Chan gentomoil probably before the transmission fails at 250k
I may need to just come look if you don't mind. No rush as i'm 1500 miles from home right now. I wanted to compare the other panels surrounding to see if/how your driver side of trans area is protected. I suspect your X5m has a slightly different panel arrangement to allow there to be no panel under the transmission.

Our X5D trans belly pan also encloses the drivers side where fuel filter and nNOX sensor electronics box (if it where still installed). Just debating to either leave whole panel off vs getting a generous air flow hole to cool the fins. I stand by my decision to trim the fins shorter on the Alpina pan that went onto my 335d. i could have not trimmed as much off though. Maybe i should have went to 2-3/8 or 2-1/2". Alpina fins are longer than X5M though (3-1/2" vs 3").
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 11:08 PM   #102
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I may need to just come look if you don't mind. No rush as i'm 1500 miles from home right now. I wanted to compare the other panels surrounding to see if/how your driver side of trans area is protected. I suspect your X5m has a slightly different panel arrangement to allow there to be no panel under the transmission.

Our X5D trans belly pan also encloses the drivers side where fuel filter and nNOX sensor electronics box (if it where still installed). Just debating to either leave whole panel off vs getting a generous air flow hole to cool the fins. I stand by my decision to trim the fins shorter on the Alpina pan that went onto my 335d. i could have not trimmed as much off though. Maybe i should have went to 2-3/8 or 2-1/2". Alpina fins are longer than X5M though (3-1/2" vs 3").
It's odd the x5m dosent have a trans cover.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 12:21 PM   #103
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep

So mine is still sitting here in the box. Don't feel like draining and installing it yet. Also while I am doing so I should replace the soft parts inside, seals and what not. Going to try the billet aluminum bridge seal since seems no one else has lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 11:44 AM   #104
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep
Drives: 335D black

imo that aluminum bridge seal is a waist of money ... $140 if its the same one i am thinking of... the failure rate of the stock seals is extremely low
      02-15-2019, 01:25 AM   #105
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep

Maybe so, couldn't hurt though.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 02:28 PM   #106
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci View Post
It's odd the x5m dosent have a trans cover.
Sorry for the double post from FB. Some of you don't go over there.

I used the X5D belly closeout panel but cut a rectangular hole to get air flow over the fins and allow the fins to protrude down through it too. Only sticks out about 1/4-3/8" though. I was in a super big hurry so no pictures taken that day. Only thing new here is that i trimmed the aft end of the 4 furthest back fins about 1" to allow trans cross member clearance. To be clear, i cut fin down all the way to the pan "proper". the 1" dimension means it isn't as far aft now by 1". X5M has cross member further back so no trim necessary in factory application. I do have pictures of X5M pan before and after the trimming.

I noted in one of the pictures that i threw away the 4" grinder wheel. If you embed aluminum into a grinder wheel and then subsequently later use it on steel or something else and get it hot, THERE IS A RISK OF THE WHEEL EXPLODING. 4" wheel way too cheap to risk this. Please heed my warning. I used an old one so chunking it wasn't much of a waste.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
robnitro160.00
      02-20-2019, 03:47 PM   #107
gaz_ball
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 335d

I don't know if it's possible to get hold of over there but the ZF service kit DA6085G comes with metal pan & separate filter. It's the service kit for some Range Rover & Discovery models that use 6hp26. I have fitted to my E91 without issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 04:17 PM   #108
Asonchadwick
Sleepy
Rep

Pics???
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 05:16 PM   #109
ki_soarer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D

I found this kit online from ZF. Not sure how to order it and there are no pics, but maybe the factory filter replacement kit is still available from them?

Here is the link to the catalog I found it at.

https://mediaservices.zf.com/Redirec...6EdqKNSL254%3D
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 06:55 PM   #110
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

The filter is part of the plastic pan with the lr part.
Appreciate 0