E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Drivers side impact - passenger airbags deploy WTF??

07-30-2012, 10:32 PM   #1
que2k
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi Sedan

Drivers side impact - passenger airbags deploy WTF??

Ok so some inconsiderate SOB decided to make a left turn from a stop sign into a main street and smash into my drivers side.

HOWEVER - my passenger airbags deploy NOT my drivers side ones.

According to the NHSTA and Transport Canada there was a recall on 2008 3-series with production dates of May - July 2008. My car had a production date of Jult 1/2008. I called BMW Canada this morning and said they knew nothing about this and my car has NO recalls on it, even though I received a recall letter about the HPFP from them and had it replaced.

My questions:

1) Anyone get a recall letter (US or Canadian)
2) It appears strange airbag deployments or lack of deployments are rampant on BMW's. Anyone tried / had success at getting any kind of settlement/explanation out of them?

I managed to escape with a stiff neck, cuts to my arm and bump on my head but it could have been worse if impact hit my door directly AND then what if the airbags didnt deploy??

See the photos
Attached Images

07-31-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
Rampage9
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive

I think its so the RS passengers don't smack their heads on the B-pillar / roofline, since that is the direction of the impact?

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
morphius909
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 Xi Special Edition-JB

In an event of a collision, not all airbags deploy. Engineers figure out what is needed and when.

In your case, makes sense for the passenger one to go off.

It's quit complex how it's all figured out. Even during a frontal there are times the front airbags don't go off.

2011 335i X Drive Special Edition-Jerez Black
35% Tint All Around / 3M Rockguard / Weathertech/ PPK2 / 18&12mm Spacers/Lux H8 V3
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Sry to hear man, looks bad. As long as you are okay!

If you have any insurance related questions don't hesitate to ask

Hope you can figure all this out

Cheers,

N
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
que2k
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi Sedan

So just a little update and response to the comments:

1) Yes engineers figure out what is needed in the event of a collision - I'm an engineer myself albeit just a lowly civil and not a mechanical. I agree the mechanisms are quite complex but watch any side impact demonstration and apply simple physics and intuitively the drivers side airbag "should" have gone off as well as the passenger ones.

The insurance estimator said BMW is the one brand of car that he has seen many unexplained airbag deployments or lack of deployments.

2) I have hired a laywer, my neck and shoulder are killing me and I have started physio. Hopefully I get some sort of insurance settlement?? My lawyer has advised me that recall or no recall, BMW will have an army of engineers and laywers explain why something do or did not happen. It would be fruitless to make a claim against them