E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Intermittent clicking noise from engine

04-12-2017, 06:03 PM   #1
dannyjones
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i M-Sport

Intermittent clicking noise from engine

Hi,

I've been having a few issues lately with my N55 E90. Since installing a JB4 I got the chirping noise which turns out to be a bad PCV valve. I have done some diagnosis and got some help from vespa on here who pretty much wrote the book on it. So I know I have to replace that, and who knows if the JB4 caused it or just exacerbated it to the point where I could notice it. I guess I'll never know for sure.

Anyway, I was just doing a final check of the PCV valve before disconnecting the JB4 completely and a weird noise started from the engine, then went away. And it kept coming back every minute or so.

My question is, could this be linked to the PCV valve (I really really hope so) or does this sound like another issue?

First video, you hear it for the first 2-3 seconds then it goes away:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kvp3k0nq2n...29.34.mov?dl=0

Second video it starts at 55 seconds:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gs260n5yzq...30.14.mov?dl=0

I know these are noisy engines but I hope you can hear the difference.

Also, my idle is kind of all over the place. I hope that is the PCV valve too...

Just to make things more complicated, I just got downpipes installed as well - no idea if that could be linked.

Thanks
Appreciate 0