E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Do my headlights need UV protection?

08-21-2015, 07:11 PM   #1
9iron
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04 WRX

Do my headlights need UV protection?

I just had my headlights sanded/polished at a professional detailer (along with interior detail and engine compartment detail). They did a great job, and the interior, engine, and headlights look brand new on a car that has almost 100k on it.

I talked to the girl at the desk and asked if they apply UV protection. She checked with the boss and was told they do not. He said the UV protection was inherent in the plastic. He stated they will oxidize if you only polish them, but they sand and polish them.

Is this B.S.? Is there a certain sealant i can/should put on the lenses, or just let it ride? Im not super picky about my car (my bumper looks like hell with a lot of chips), but i dont want my lights to oxidize quickly.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 01:32 AM   #2
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9iron View Post

He said the UV protection was inherent in the plastic. He stated they will oxidize if you only polish them, but they sand and polish them.
Wow!!! That is a very interesting statement.

When you break the process into its basic elements....both sanding and polishing is about removing materials. Sanding does it at a greater rate. If UV protection was inherent in the plastic then why would it ever oxidize in the first place. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I would seal the lens with a good sealant or a coating.
      08-23-2015, 10:21 PM   #3
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

If the plastic was sanded, it needs to be resealed. They will oxidize, and rather quickly at that. I am actually baffled that a serious business would even propose sanding the headlight and not apply sealant, this is nonsensical.

You can buy yourself some sealant and apply it with a sponge, it's not very hard, the chemical itself is somewhat pricey, but I were you I'd insist they do it, you paid for refreshing your healights, not for time offset damages to your headlights oO
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2015, 10:58 PM   #4
9iron
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
If the plastic was sanded, it needs to be resealed. They will oxidize, and rather quickly at that. I am actually baffled that a serious business would even propose sanding the headlight and not apply sealant, this is nonsensical.

You can buy yourself some sealant and apply it with a sponge, it's not very hard, the chemical itself is somewhat pricey, but I were you I'd insist they do it, you paid for refreshing your healights, not for time offset damages to your headlights oO
Thanks Meeni,

Do you have a sealant you recommend? Can i use a regular paint sealant on the headlights? I use wetfire black-diamond on my paint....not sure if that would cloud the polycarbonate?

I may call the shop and ask if they warranty cloudy lenses.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2015, 08:06 PM   #5
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

Your sealant will work fine. Just remember to always have some on your headlights to prevent the hazing and yellowing.

The one is made for paint because it has parts of it that make it shiny. Generally, sealants all work the same and differ in durability and how shiny they are. There are trade offs. For headlights, you don't care how shiny it looks. I use one called Rejex. You can find it OTC, and it lasts about 6 months before I clean it off to reapply.

What your detailer said... sounds a little silly to me. Sanding is just a harsher form of polishing. Headlights and other things DO have inherent UV protection put on them at the factory. Abrasives remove it, so you will need to continuously reseal the headlights.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 10:39 AM   #6
jkrig
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' e90 335i (SGM)

Opti-Lens has been the best product I've used, its rather pricey and only sold online. If you are looking for a quick and dirty, Blue Magic headlight sealer is OTC and holds up for several months.
      08-26-2015, 12:27 PM   #7
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

The unfortunate truth is that once the OEM UV protection has worn off, your headlights will require regular maintenance in order to keep them looking good.

Depending in on the environment you live in, your newly restored headlights may begin to fade again in as little as a week or two without any UV protection. I would recommend applying a quality wax or paint sealant if you have any on hand. Something like BlackFire Wet Diamond. I would recommend applying a traditional wax or sealant to your headlights at least every month just to keep a healthy layer of protection on them... it takes 2 minutes, so it isn't a real chore.

If you wanted someone that was a bit more maintenance free, I would recommend looking into a plastic coating that is more durable than a traditional wax or sealant. Some good options would be 22ple VR1 or CarPro DLUX. These silica based coatings will provide longer lasting protection.

In the end, your headlights will certainly need to be restored again over time, however if you maintain them well, they should never get to the point where sanding is needed. Just a quick polish every 6-12 months as needed will keep them looking great.

Other Resources
Headlight Restoration Process by Todd Cooperider

Let me know if you've got any other questions.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com

Last edited by Detailed Image; 08-31-2015 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2015, 01:09 PM   #8
9iron
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
The unfortunate truth is that once the OEM UV protection has worn off, your headlights will not require regular maintenance in order to keep them looking good.

Depending in on the environment you live in, your newly restored headlights may begin to fade again in as little as a week or two without any UV protection. I would recommend applying a quality wax or paint sealant if you have any on hand. Something like BlackFire Wet Diamond. I would recommend applying a traditional wax or sealant to your headlights at least every month just to keep a healthy layer of protection on them... it takes 2 minutes, so it isn't a real chore.

If you wanted someone that was a bit more maintenance free, I would recommend looking into a plastic coating that is more durable than a traditional wax or sealant. Some good options would be 22ple VR1 or CarPro DLUX. These silica based coatings will provide longer lasting protection.

In the end, your headlights will certainly need to be restored again over time, however if you maintain them well, they should never get to the point where sanding is needed. Just a quick polish every 6-12 months as needed will keep them looking great.

Other Resources
Headlight Restoration Process by Todd Cooperider

Let me know if you've got any other questions.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.AttentiontoDetailingPeoria.com
Thanks for the help.

I put some blackfire wet diamond on them. Ill try to re-apply every month and see what happens.
Appreciate 0