E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Floaty Steering E92 - Please Help!

10-18-2019, 02:58 AM   #1
Macaulyr
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

Floaty Steering E92 - Please Help!

Hello all,

Car: E92 320d 2012, M-Sport Spec; 19" aftermarket wheels

The problem: Car feels twitchy and higher speeds (60mph+), camber of the road heavily affects steering, and forever making micro-adjustments to stop the car wandering all over the road.. The faster you go, the worse it gets..

Things I have looked into: 4 New tires, all matching; budgets, however it used to be fine with worse budgets previously! Had Hunter 4 wheel alignment in which they said everything is A* ok, a perfect setup. They said that the lower control arm ball joints seemed to have too much play, and recommended sorting them as it may sort the problem with handling. Took it to another garage to quote for it, they said the bushings and ball joints were fine?.... Have also had the rear bushings checked over, still all seems to be good.

What's left to look at? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! (I have put the standard MV3's on (18") and it drove better, but still not right..

Thank you in anticipation chaps.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 09:10 AM   #2
coochjr
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: White 2010 335xi

So do you have play in the steering? Like a dead space in the steering where nothing happens, or when you jack it up if you grab the rim at 3-9 and push and pull on each side does it move? Steering can be multiple things and can be hard to diagnose sometimes, I speak from experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 10:33 AM   #3
Macaulyr
United Kingdom
Rep

It does feel as if there is a deadzone on a flat level road, but when the road is cambered for example, there is no deadzone in one direction if that makes sense? I will jack it up and try it.

Thanks for the suggestion
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #4
coochjr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Give that a shot also do the 6-12 position and do the same thing to see if there is play, this will just let us know which suspension components might be worn.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 05:04 AM   #5
Macaulyr
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coochjr View Post
Give that a shot also do the 6-12 position and do the same thing to see if there is play, this will just let us know which suspension components might be worn.
I jacked the car up, gave the wheel a push/pull at 3-9, the only movement I could see was through the track rods, but then this was moving the steering wheel accordingly; there may've been ever so slight play. Is there a way to check track rods ends for play?

There's no movement 6-12 at all!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 07:32 AM   #6
coochjr
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaulyr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by coochjr View Post
I jacked the car up, gave the wheel a push/pull at 3-9, the only movement I could see was through the track rods, but then this was moving the steering wheel accordingly; there may've been ever so slight play. Is there a way to check track rods ends for play?

There's no movement 6-12 at all!
So you shouldn't feel any play in the wheel so if you did feel play just make sure, because it could mean the bearing in the tie rod is worn. After that it could possibly be a rack issue but it's unlikely. It's not your control arms since 6-12 is good. If you take the wheel off grab the sway bar end link and shake it to check to see if it moves. You can have someone hold the steering wheel so you can check 3-9 better.
Appreciate 0