E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335i N55 Rough Idle - Multiple Misfires

09-24-2019, 01:17 PM   #1
miron
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2013

Unhappy 335i N55 Rough Idle - Multiple Misfires

I have been having an issue that i would truly appreciate your guys' input on it. Not too long ago, my power steering hose was rubbing on my timing belt (serpentine belt) and eventually rubbed enough to cause a nice big hole and leak all over the belt which caused a chaos as far as how oily the car got. Anyway, found the hose and replaced it and zip tied it far back so it doesn't touch the belt again. That was fixed and good to go.

Drove the car for a good 20 miles, and started making a weird noise... i drove it back home to see what's up, before i make it, my steering turned as hard as a rock. pulled over to check, and saw that my belt got shredded. Makes sense since the power steering fluid was all over the belt so it simply harden it and it tore. I also fix that up and everything was good.

Drove for another 10-15 miles, parked the car to go for a gym session, i come back turn it on, it is running super rough. Check engine light came on and barely made it home. I am getting multiple codes... Its like shit hit the fan in a matter of 1 hour. Im getting multiple cylinder misfire codes, MAF sensor circuit failure(replaced still the same), P0171 system too lean, P112F,and just so many at once that i feel like my engine blew up when really it was driving just fine after getting the belt replaced.

My thoughts:
***Maybe the initial problem of power steering fluid leak made it somewhere and caused all those issues?

***Maybe car isn't getting enough fuel into the engine hence the car tried super hard to stay on while idling roughly and dying to stay running?

***Maybe i need to replace my plugs and coil packs? (i doubt that multiple misfires mean my plugs are bad but i could be wrong)

My car is a 2013 BMW 335i with an N55 engine. It has only 40K Miles and it had sat for a over year during 2017-early 2019

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 01:26 PM   #2
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by miron View Post
I have been having an issue that i would truly appreciate your guys' input on it. Not too long ago, my power steering hose was rubbing on my timing belt (serpentine belt) and eventually rubbed enough to cause a nice big hole and leak all over the belt which caused a chaos as far as how oily the car got. Anyway, found the hose and replaced it and zip tied it far back so it doesn't touch the belt again. That was fixed and good to go.

Drove the car for a good 20 miles, and started making a weird noise... i drove it back home to see what's up, before i make it, my steering turned as hard as a rock. pulled over to check, and saw that my belt got shredded. Makes sense since the power steering fluid was all over the belt so it simply harden it and it tore. I also fix that up and everything was good.

Drove for another 10-15 miles, parked the car to go for a gym session, i come back turn it on, it is running super rough. Check engine light came on and barely made it home. I am getting multiple codes... Its like shit hit the fan in a matter of 1 hour. Im getting multiple cylinder misfire codes, MAF sensor circuit failure(replaced still the same), P0171 system too lean, P112F,and just so many at once that i feel like my engine blew up when really it was driving just fine after getting the belt replaced.

My thoughts:
***Maybe the initial problem of power steering fluid leak made it somewhere and caused all those issues?

***Maybe car isn't getting enough fuel into the engine hence the car tried super hard to stay on while idling roughly and dying to stay running?

***Maybe i need to replace my plugs and coil packs? (i doubt that multiple misfires mean my plugs are bad but i could be wrong)

My car is a 2013 BMW 335i with an N55 engine. It has only 40K Miles and it had sat for a over year during 2017-early 2019

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance.
Did you make sure that no part of the belt made it past the front main seal and in to the engine ?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 01:39 PM   #3
miron
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
Did you make sure that no part of the belt made it past the front main seal and in to the engine ?
I doubt that it did, but if it did, it will cause all this chaos?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 02:45 PM   #4
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by miron View Post
I doubt that it did, but if it did, it will cause all this chaos?
You better make sure because if it did u have much bigger problems than misfires.

Belt going in is a known issue that has happened to many people.

If oil got everywhere like u said than did u check to see u dont have oil on dme harness ?
Appreciate 0