E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Faulty VANOS solenoid amplifying intake noise?

04-25-2018, 11:06 PM   #1
drunkenup
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, 2021 F150

Faulty VANOS solenoid amplifying intake noise?

On longer drives the car would slip into a poor running state, higher fuel consumption, the revs would hang, climb quicker per given throttle input, and become less precise. It would also struggle to hold an idle and most interestingly, slightly amplified intake noise in the mid rpm range. I modified the stock airbox to accept a cone filter so its a little louder than stock when it's running "correctly."

I rebuilt the DISA valve and doesn't seem like I've encountered that running mode since, except on this one occasion when the throttle symptoms may have returned.

Immediately after rebuilding the DISA the intake noise after ~3500 rpms became much more aggressive, exactly like the E86 3.0si's with the modified sound tubes... and then, the next day, suddenly the intake was as quiet as before again. But then, after clearing codes, I went for a spin and the extra noise returned. The exhaust VANOS code had returned. The engine has felt the same since the DISA rebuild, running fairly strong with very minor idle fluctuation. So, now I'm exploring a couple possibilities.

-Exhaust VANOS solenoid is jamming, exhaust cam is staying in full retard or advance, and somehow amplifies noise back through the intake
-DISA valve is still screwed? Don't think the position of that valve would make such a major change in the noise of the intake, though. It may have thrown a code again since the rebuild, will only know for sure if it comes back again.

How likely is the first scenario? I ask because this fluctuation in induction volume is so distinct and unusual. Sort of frustrating, especially since it seems the engine is running correctly when its quieter, what a tease.

Last edited by drunkenup; 04-25-2018 at 11:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 03:18 AM   #2
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

I just swapped from a 3 stage manifold to a single stage and I have been using a cone filter on both set ups. The difference in the intake sound is remarkable between the 2 set ups. The 3 stage was much louder. I suspect you have a DISA issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 07:52 PM   #3
330istocknot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330chino

Scan your DME computer, i was also getting that same feeling, check my post. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...highlight=disa
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2018, 08:25 PM   #4
drunkenup
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330istocknot View Post
Scan your DME computer, i was also getting that same feeling, check my post. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...highlight=disa
I quickly went through your thread, I believe 2AAC refers to the inner DISA valve. I will be working on the vanos solenoids this weekend.

A CEL came back today, for exhaust vanos and outer big DISA. At the same moment the car went into the poor running mode and, voila, intake noise returned.

I plugged in my phone and started carly real time engine parameter, albeit a pathetic 5 second refresh interval. At idle, one of the DISAs was at 5% and the other at 4.69%. Both should be 100% closed. Whether the car just quits actuating the DISAs when it senses either one at fault or because of the VANOS, I don't know. Maybe someone can shed some light on this
      04-27-2018, 12:21 PM   #5
330istocknot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330chino

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenup View Post
I quickly went through your thread, I believe 2AAC refers to the inner DISA valve. I will be working on the vanos solenoids this weekend.

A CEL came back today, for exhaust vanos and outer big DISA. At the same moment the car went into the poor running mode and, voila, intake noise returned.

I plugged in my phone and started carly real time engine parameter, albeit a pathetic 5 second refresh interval. At idle, one of the DISAs was at 5% and the other at 4.69%. Both should be 100% closed. Whether the car just quits actuating the DISAs when it senses either one at fault or because of the VANOS, I don't know. Maybe someone can shed some light on this
I was getting VANOS codes as well, replaced them both the codes dissapeared. As to 2AAC for inner VISA, ive seen a few people that the same code for the outter DISA and by replacing it, it fixed. I took out the DISA valve and it looks like its stuck open, i tried to manually flip it and nothing, it is extremely stuck. Also tested with the accessories on, and you can hear the motor inside the valve struggling to flip the flap. I will replace the VALVE as soon as i get it and will report back to you and see if it fixed the 2AAC.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 01:30 PM   #6
jaye91bimmer
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi sport wagon

New to this forum. I had issues with my N12 (sorry former Mini owner) and the VANOS system. Mostly the intake side of things. I have heard of people doing a VANOS delete on them. Would it be worth it on the N52 motor?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 03:15 PM   #7
drunkenup
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman87 View Post
New to this forum. I had issues with my N12 (sorry former Mini owner) and the VANOS system. Mostly the intake side of things. I have heard of people doing a VANOS delete on them. Would it be worth it on the N52 motor?
Deleting VANOS would limit you to one static cam profile, my TLDR to what VANOS does is adjust the cam profile to maximize the intake and exhaust flow and make the most power always.

VANOS deletes afaik allow a big cam lopey cam that makes more power in higher rpms but lose power on the lower rpm range. Good for race cars, not for us where we use that lower rpm range. On top of that you probably need to use a standalone ECU. Probably more costly to do than fixing any vanos issue.

Anyway, cleaning the solenoids has gotten rid of most of the driving issues. I think my DISA still is screwed though.
      05-03-2018, 10:23 AM   #8
jaye91bimmer
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi sport wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenup View Post
Deleting VANOS would limit you to one static cam profile, my TLDR to what VANOS does is adjust the cam profile to maximize the intake and exhaust flow and make the most power always.

VANOS deletes afaik allow a big cam lopey cam that makes more power in higher rpms but lose power on the lower rpm range. Good for race cars, not for us where we use that lower rpm range. On top of that you probably need to use a standalone ECU. Probably more costly to do than fixing any vanos issue.

Anyway, cleaning the solenoids has gotten rid of most of the driving issues. I think my DISA still is screwed though.
Thanks for the good information! its just a E91 daily driver. So don't want to do to much crazy mods to it. I had to take the VANOS on the mini apart a few times to clean the damn things, was getting that ticking noise. I will take them out and give them a quick clean while I replace the OFHG (surprise surprise its leaking!!)
Appreciate 0