E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Is the N53 THAT bad?

02-27-2019, 09:40 AM   #1
chrissyw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 320d M Sport

Is the N53 THAT bad?

The time has come for my trusty E90 320d to go.

I really like the car but I don't need a diesel now, only do 8 miles a day so want a petrol again.

As I like the car, I fancy an E92 330i buttt, all i've seen online is how the N53 is a nightmare?

Are they really that bad? I'm thinking of a 58 plate car.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 01:17 PM   #2
Chappers 71
Major General
Rep
Drives: Beige G31 40ix m sport

Garage List
Yeah you mostly only hear about people's issues & not so much about the ones that are running well. I suspect if your choosy when buying one & are prepared to spend out when things need fixing you'll be fine.
You just need to be aware that it will cost you money at some point.

I drive a 35i and even though I keep up on all the servicing, I have put around 6k onto it over the six years & eight months that I've owned it on things going wrong, that doesn't include tyres, brakes & servicing but The smile it still puts on my face when I drive it, even if I'm just driving it to Tescos is worth the occasional niggle
The injectors that are supposedly so prone to going wrong are still the original ones & have now covered over 114,000 miles & the tubos lasted for 109k before needing replacement.

Try to get one that all the gaskets have been changed on as they will start to leak at around 80-100k.

So yeah I'd say buy one, that straight six is fantastic & the sound they make
E34 3.6 M5. E34 525i sport.
VW Jetta Mk2 GTI 16v. 1679cc 1967 resto-cal beetle

Last edited by Chappers 71; 02-27-2019 at 01:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 04:32 PM   #3
m20b25
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Only soft point are the replaceables (injectors, fuel pump, etc). Solid engines otherwise with great mpg and performance and low tax. Not a lot not to like
Appreciate 1
Tr1ppy35.50
      02-27-2019, 05:05 PM   #4
chrissyw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It's the direct injection that's an issue on them isn't it?

Did BMW do a recall on any of the parts?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 06:32 PM   #5
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m20b25 View Post
Only soft point are the replaceables (injectors, fuel pump, etc). Solid engines otherwise with great mpg and performance and low tax. Not a lot not to like
Solid engine; tick

Reasonable fuel economy for performance; tick

Low tax; ???? Perhaps half the cost of £520 for my N54 335i but "low" to me is £30 for my wife's Smart Car!

As Chappers says most of what you read on here is folks having issues with their car and asking for help. You don't get people posting on here to tell everyone that the car is running perfectly and needs nothing doing except perhaps on the "how much has your 335 cost you this month" thread!
Appreciate 2
Tr1ppy35.50
      02-27-2019, 06:50 PM   #6
tom_seddon
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport (N53)

I've got one of these cars, an N53 330i.

As far as I can tell, there was no usefull recall on the injectors, which are the most expensive (but not the only) problem part. There was a recall, but it predated the latest injectors (index 11, introduced in 2013/2014), which seem to be the only ones that actually work - so it seems that any car that's just had the free recalls will probably just have had its crap old injectors replaced with crap new ones. So I expect you want one that's got evidence of post-2014 injector replacements.

Mine had all its injectors replaced 14 months ago, not long after I bought it, along with a bunch of other stuff - coil packs, spark plugs, low pressure fuel sensor, NOx sensor - ££££ - fortunately the dealer footed the bill in my case - and though I'm still a bit wary of it, it has been fine since.

On the plus side, it does handle nicely, it does sound good even when just driving around normally (despite not having a loud, showy exhaust), and the performance is decent - well, provided you rev it. But that's part of the fun.

So a tentative vote in favour from me, I suppose, if you see one that's had its injectors replaced recently... or if it's AUC with a warranty (and apparently they'll often extend the warranty period if it will help make the sale)... or if it's cheap...

--Tom
Appreciate 1
Tr1ppy35.50
      02-28-2019, 03:43 AM   #7
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Not much to add really. The N53 is underrated in my opinion. The last of the naturally aspirated BMW straight sixes. Amazing economy - on a run I get a range of over 500 miles to a tank! Mine's done nearly 100K and I recently had a Blackstone oil analysis done. They couldn't believe how good the results were.

The key to longevity is regular servicing - oil and filter changes in particular. A top quality fully synth will keep the gaskets and seals supple and maintain the engine oil-tight. My only question for the OP is whether a 3.0litre six-cylinder petrol is really the right choice for someone who does only 8 miles a day.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 1
Tr1ppy35.50
      02-28-2019, 05:35 AM   #8
Dormermike
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw f10

Another vote here and I too think they are under rated. I think they got off to a very bad start and the dealers and perhaps even BMW didn't know how to deal with the injector issues properly until recently.

Mine is in an f10 coupled to the ZF8 box and for a 1.8 ton barge the 3.0 n53 hauls it along nicely. I can even have a bit of slippy fun with the rear without any trouble.

I work from home so most of my trips are less than 8 miles by far.
Appreciate 1
Tr1ppy35.50
      02-28-2019, 08:24 AM   #9
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormermike View Post

I work from home so most of my trips are less than 8 miles by far.
Same here and the BMW is my sun is out top down fun car. My "daily use" vehicle only does around 1500 miles per year so guess what my BMW mileage is!

The BMW miles are smiley face enjoyable miles though!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 08:26 AM   #10
Tr1ppy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 330i M Sport

Another vote for the N53 here, my 330i has had the usual fuel component related issues but once replaced, the engine is sweet.

Yes you have to work it a little (especially in a heavy E93) but that's part of the fun and that noise! Oh that noise!

There was a discussion on a Facebook group a while back where someone said that the N54 actually sounds rubbish, as if it was 2 3-cylinders put together. I then chimed in with the N53 being the last, true straight six in terms of sound and a few ppl agreed.

As said above try to get one with a warranty or at the least with most of the issues already resolved.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 09:09 AM   #11
Dormermike
Captain
Rep

I prefer the n53 to the n55 I drove, better throttle response and sound. More power from the n55 but not as much difference as I was expecting.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 06:28 AM   #12
Mircea
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 325i E92 N53 M-Sport

Wow, well this thread sure is reassuring to read...

I'm fairly new to the N53, I've only got mine last summer. I've already had to replace the VCG, all 6 coils, plugs, injectors as it had some rough running issues. I still have a NOx error popping up but nothing major, will have it remapped and 2nd cats removed. All in all will probs come to a total of just over £2k but hey, I guess at least I know everything I've fixed were common issues and I won't be looking in the wrong directions if anything else fails.

I am really glad most people seem to agree that the N53 is otherwise a solid engine and to be honest I can't compare it with anything newer from BMW that I've driven in the same engine spec/range. It just feels so much smoother and natural in a way, no lies I sometimes have to check the rev counter to see if my engine is running.
Handling is awesome with the sporty suspension you get in the e92 and even more so if you're running 19" rims.
Classy, simple yet not heavily outdated interior with easy infotainment upgrades available if you really need them. Really love the extended leather and lightning package on these, the wood trims and the really subtle ambient lightning! No stupid strips of light that rob your eye focus at night.
Can't really comment on MPG as the nox sensor issues I have are known to bring this down, though I get around 8L/100Km (~35MPG) average on UK motorway/A roads and about 11L/100Km (~25MPG) in town.
Don't even get me started on exterior looks, as I still think this is the best looking BMW of all time, especially in the M Sport trim.

This whole novel I wrote might be biased because I was yearning for exactly this car from before I even got my licence, but was worth sharing a few extra good words about it in the sea of issues the engine presents on these forums

EDIT: Forgot to add my car is 58 plate too

Last edited by Mircea; 03-01-2019 at 06:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
Tr1ppy35.50
      03-01-2019, 10:42 AM   #13
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

The N53 is a good engine on the whole though they do have various issues shall we say that I see regularly namely injectors, the odd HPFP and sensor issue, Nox Sensors usually this can be down to issues happening elsewhere further upstream namely injectors throwing neat un burnt fuel through the system, coils and plugs are fairly well documented(though with these if you remove plugs/coils and you see they are black or there's a smell of fuel you know these have been contaminated by fuel from the leaking injectors but a lot of the time people just replace the soiled plugs without dealing with the route cause) plus they suffer like most engine truth be told oil leaks from places like the oil filter housing which is fairly common(though sometimes hard to spot) seen a fair few rocker cover gaskets and the odd cracked rocker cover as well and there are other things like the electric water pump that also come up from time to time and aren't unheard of.

It produces more power than the N52 spec (to be fair to the N52 engine this is nigh on dare I say it dependable)seen as said earlier a fair few N53's(got over 250 cars equipped with this engine on my books at the present time and when I look back on the various repairs these cars have had a fair few have had the above injectors, NOx Sensors coils/plugs done.

But once repaired(though you'll wince at the cost)they run really well, its such a shame they all suffer these various issue but such are the issues with modern engine and there tolerances especially re emissions thee issues will never really be fully banished and sometimes you have to go in "eyes wide open" with the knowledge that certain things my/can take place from time to time.
      03-08-2019, 03:18 AM   #14
chrissyw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Would it be a ridiculous idea to own one without BMW warranty? My mate had an E92 335i which he JB4'd briefly and he kept getting oil pressure issues so got rid.

My other option is to look for a 130i with the non DI engine in or push the budget up and look for an E46 M3.

In regards to the E46, i'm worried it'll feel like a downgrade in the cabin and then you've got the rear subframe and vanos issues on those.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2019, 03:20 AM   #15
chrissyw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
My only question for the OP is whether a 3.0litre six-cylinder petrol is really the right choice for someone who does only 8 miles a day.
If you mean that in regards to infrequent oil changes due to the lack of mileage it won't be the case. I personally service my 320d every 6 months.

The commute is the reason I want to try and stay N/A tbh.

Plenty of glorious B roads on my door step to stretch it's legs mind.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 04:26 AM   #16
Hxm99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i E93

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 4 series conve ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_seddon View Post

As far as I can tell, there was no usefull recall on the injectors, which are the most expensive (but not the only) problem part. There was a recall, but it predated the latest injectors (index 11, introduced in 2013/2014), which seem to be the only ones that actually work - so it seems that any car that's just had the free recalls will probably just have had its crap old injectors replaced with crap new ones. So I expect you want one that's got evidence of post-2014 injector replacements.

Mine had all its injectors replaced 14 months ago, not long after I bought it, along with a bunch of other stuff - coil packs, spark plugs, low pressure fuel sensor, NOx sensor - ££££ - fortunately the dealer footed the bill in my case - and though I'm still a bit wary of it, it has been fine since.

On the plus side, it does handle nicely, it does sound good even when just driving around normally (despite not having a loud, showy exhaust), and the performance is decent - well, provided you rev it. But that's part of the fun.

So a tentative vote in favour from me, I suppose, if you see one that's had its injectors replaced recently... or if it's AUC with a warranty (and apparently they'll often extend the warranty period if it will help make the sale)... or if it's cheap...

--Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_seddon View Post

--Tom
Hey Tom
I was just wondering, how did you get the dealer to pay for the expenses? my cars got full bmw history and was always touched by BMW. Its got a bit of a rough idle at cold starts. right now its only throwing Nox sensor codes not misfire codes(weird), also the dealer who worked on my car is about a 150 miles away from me now, would I have to take it to this specific dealer? lastly, the car did have injectors replaced in 2017 due to a misfire, weirdly BMW only replaced 2 injectors instead of all 6
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 06:14 PM   #17
Dormermike
Captain
Rep

Two years on from when i posted earlier in this thread the only issue ive had with my n53 was the CVV diaphragm breaking. Easy fix. Just drove it after 8 days sat still, no shaking no misfires no worries, just straight six doing what it does
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 06:04 PM   #18
tom_seddon
Rep
Drives: E90 330i M Sport (N53)

Sorry for the delay in replying, I don't come here all that often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hxm99 View Post
Hey Tom
I was just wondering, how did you get the dealer to pay for the expenses? my cars got full bmw history and was always touched by BMW. Its got a bit of a rough idle at cold starts. right now its only throwing Nox sensor codes not misfire codes(weird), also the dealer who worked on my car is about a 150 miles away from me now, would I have to take it to this specific dealer? lastly, the car did have injectors replaced in 2017 due to a misfire, weirdly BMW only replaced 2 injectors instead of all 6
I don't know how relevant my experience is to your situation unfortunately. But for the record: I bought my car from a second hand car dealer, and the fault revealed itself about 2 days after purchase. The Sale of Goods Act 2015 gives you the right to reject a car if it turns out to suffer from faults not commensurate with the price paid within the first 30 days after purchase, so that was the route I took.

I got a quote from my local BMW franchised dealer, at a cost of £95. Recommendation: replace all 6 injectors - at least as the first step (!) - at a cost of something like £1,200, I also got a quote from my usual garage, who kindly looked at it for free. Recommendation: replace all 6 injectors/spark plugs/coil packs, plus NOx sensor and low pressure fuel sensor, all in one go - apparently it all needs doing at once - cost more like £2,000.

I'd paid £11,000 for the car, so a knackered engine and a big pile of hassle seemed quite unreasonable. So I told them I was rejecting the car. At that, they offered to pay for the full repair at my usual garage. (Which I think in the end was something like £2,100! I've got a copy of the invoice somewhere in my files. But cheaper for them that way I suppose. I assume they got it for cheap from an auction or something and decided to chance it. Perhaps they still made a profit anyway.)

I felt a bit silly saying yes to this, rather than pushing for the full refund that was my legal right, but, I had liked the car for the 2 days it was running OK. And as it turned out, it has been fine since.

--Tom
Appreciate 3
      02-01-2023, 01:16 PM   #19
JGG75
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW TBC

Which BMW 330i Engine to go for

Hello, I'm after some advice please. I'm looking to buy a 330i E90 convertible (2006-2010 era) in the next week or so but understand their are different editions of the engine e.g. N53 N52 etc.
I wanted to know which is the best edition of the engine in terms of sound, economy, performance etc. and which one should be avoided?
Also how can I tell when I go to view a car which edition of the engine it is?
Thanks in advance and appreciate any further advice...
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 06:19 AM   #20
OliSharp
Private
Rep
Drives: E93 330i Highline MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGG75 View Post
Hello, I'm after some advice please. I'm looking to buy a 330i E90 convertible (2006-2010 era) in the next week or so but understand their are different editions of the engine e.g. N53 N52 etc.
I wanted to know which is the best edition of the engine in terms of sound, economy, performance etc. and which one should be avoided?
Also how can I tell when I go to view a car which edition of the engine it is?
Thanks in advance and appreciate any further advice...

There are stickers under the bonnet and in the drivers side door jamb that have the engine code.
N53 produces more power and offers better fuel economy. It has weak points though, so just be aware of those before you make a decision.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 11:36 AM   #21
micdev42
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E93 325i SE

Oh how things have changed...

I had a recent quote from Cotswold BMW and 048 index 11 injectors are now about £440 each. That is £2640 in parts just for the injectors. If you have a 325i N53B30A you will need to think very carefully about whether it's worth ploughing that sort of money into your car. Maybe even a 330i. Never mind the other issues.
One of the frustrating / annoying issues ATM is that there appears to be no alternative to the BMW part. And it also seems a bit of a gamble.

I also doubt the quality of some of them: Ocean BMW in Plymouth are advertising a 'new' index 11 injector on ebay for £350 ish and it is quite obviously used. Bimmerprofs has some interesting posts on this topic as well.

Chinese refurbs (supposedly) are about £120 on ebay.

The devil and the deep blue sea...
Appreciate 0