E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Pulling power (335d)

11-04-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Pulling power (335d)

Just been out in the car and it felt different. Pulling very hard, took me a bit by surprise, (very nice surprise). Was wondering whether being a diesel, is it affected by air density/air pressure and air temperature or is it simply loosening up now I've nearly done 3k? Just like to know a bit more about the engine.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 11:21 AM   #2
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

taking a guess

I know that all engines like cool air and that they perform better at lower altitude as air is more dense so maybe that with the 3k is your answer .Or have you used a different diesel supplier ie shell say over tesco ?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 11:22 AM   #3
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
Oh I thought it was something to do with "get your coat love" you've pulled...type pulling power

Mine definitely surprises me sometimes...don't know if it is loosening up or just having a good day. I've done about 3.5k in mine (in about 6 months!!!)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 11:28 AM   #4
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
I am pretty sure Turbo's like nice cold air, my A4 used to be good on cold days!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 11:33 AM   #5
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba0010 View Post
I know that all engines like cool air and that they perform better at lower altitude as air is more dense so maybe that with the 3k is your answer .Or have you used a different diesel supplier ie shell say over tesco ?
Interesting point that scooba, according to the sat. nav. I'm 75' above sea level so obviously low altitude. Normally fill up at Sainsburys (girlie nectar points) but on Thursday I filled up at Tesco's. Keep meaning to try that BP ultimate diesel but had heard that some reckon it takes a few fill ups to notice any differnce.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 11:37 AM   #6
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
Oh I thought it was something to do with "get your coat love" you've pulled...type pulling power

Mine definitely surprises me sometimes...don't know if it is loosening up or just having a good day. I've done about 3.5k in mine (in about 6 months!!!)
Funningly enough I thought the title might elicit some response!

Am I doing alot of miles or are you behind schedule? I just can't help driving the long way home from work or anywhere for that matter.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 11:38 AM   #7
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

but a good ?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 11:38 AM   #8
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
What's girlie about nectar points? I fill up at BP to get them. I use BP ultimate diesel, and I'm not certain there's a difference at all. It is psychological - I want to put the best stuff in. I think I read somewhere that you get about as much in extra mileage as you would if you'd put the extra money's worth of normal diesel in if you see what I mean. I think it is great that performance varies - gives the car a bit of character. Perhaps talking to the car helps, like Herbie

Not sure how old your car is but I'm definitely well under average milage. My car sits in the garage mostly monday-friday and comes out to play at weekends for running around. I'll probably do about 7000 a year. It is a shame but I sure do appreciate it after being ferried to trains station in the missus' focus And it stays looking lovely and looks and smells like the day I brought it home which is cool too.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 11:42 AM   #9
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezebm View Post

but a good ?
Sorry squeezebm you've lost me there?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 11:45 AM   #10
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Best thing to make you car feel faster is to drive something slower for a day or two.

Seriously though, colder denser air will allow more fuel to be burned and so develop more power. However, the percentage change given the start point makes me think that this is rather unlikely.

New shoes with thicker soles?

Given the (lack of) age of the car you should feel a difference with BP Ultimate almost immediately if you try it. I'm running on V-Power diesel now as all the BP stations locally have shut.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 11:51 AM   #11
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
Best thing to make you car feel faster is to drive something slower for a day or two.

Given the (lack of) age of the car you should feel a difference with BP Ultimate almost immediately if you try it. I'm running on V-Power diesel now as all the BP stations locally have shut.
You are damn right - nothing like a week with my Mrs focus to make me appreciate my car, or a hire car on hols.

RE: BP Ultimate - I always thought it was psychological, are you saying the performance difference will be noticable?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 11:51 AM   #12
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
I think he was shrugging his shoulders as in dunno but saying good question
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 11:52 AM   #13
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What's girlie about nectar points? I fill up at BP to get them. I use BP ultimate diesel, and I'm not certain there's a difference at all. It is psychological - I want to put the best stuff in. I think I read somewhere that you get about as much in extra mileage as you would if you'd put the extra money's worth of normal diesel in if you see what I mean. I think it is great that performance varies - gives the car a bit of character. Perhaps talking to the car helps, like Herbie

Not sure how old your car is but I'm definitely well under average milage. My car sits in the garage mostly monday-friday and comes out to play at weekends for running around. I'll probably do about 7000 a year. It is a shame but I sure do appreciate it after being ferried to trains station in the missus' focus And it stays looking lovely and looks and smells like the day I brought it home which is cool too.
Nothing girlie I suppose about nectar points, I think I'm just a bit obsessed about them - great feeling at Xmas when I can buy all the food to feed the family who now take it as read that I'll cook the christmas lunch

Think you're right about the fuel point. I used to put Shell V power in the 330i & I couldn't categorically state I noticed any noticeable improvement in performance - slightly better fuel economy perhaps.

Car collected on 17/09/07 so I am doing a fair few miles. Just love driving it really. Know what you mean about that new car smell though - especially the leather
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 11:55 AM   #14
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think he was shrugging his shoulders as in dunno but saying good question
Thanks - light has now come on (not the oil light!)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 11:57 AM   #15
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Ha,that's what I was thinking,must get my brain irrigated!

Sorry Helen,goin a tad off topic there (not difficult),anyway, yes, I often got pleasantly surprised in my E46 with an unexpected surge of power,never really understood why,but quite exhilarating when it happens.

In fact quite similar to getting pulled
Hello Hotcoupe - now why I am NOT surprised that YOU would take the title in that way

Totally agree, an unexpected surge of power is always exhilarating when it comes.

Always nice to know that you can still pull though
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 11:59 AM   #16
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Yeh i,ve just read that,and i aint got a clue............dam stella
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 12:02 PM   #17
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Quote:
You are damn right - nothing like a week with my Mrs focus to make me appreciate my car, or a hire car on hols.

RE: BP Ultimate - I always thought it was psychological, are you saying the performance difference will be noticable?
It may be slightly psychological, but there was definately an increase of about 2~3mpg on the E46 when I switched and it seemed to be slightly smoother, quiter and maybe a shade quicker. The only definate gain was a reduction in soot out the back with a WOT. However, over time I think the mpg increase tailed off, as if they weren't making it quite as special.

Which Focus has your Mrs got? The old 1.8TDCi was like a squid.... put your foot down and disappear in a cloud of ink, even with BP Ultimate. The newer one (2.0TDCi) is much better, but still a bit down on power.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 12:04 PM   #18
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Seriously though, colder denser air will allow more fuel to be burned and so develop more power. However, the percentage change given the start point makes me think that this is rather unlikely.

New shoes with thicker soles?

Thanks mjh, think I will try the BP ultimate diesel. Very good point about driving a slower car as well - always makes you appreciate your own more.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 12:05 PM   #19
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezebm View Post
Yeh i,ve just read that,and i aint got a clue............dam stella
Remember don't drink & drive - you'll spill it
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 12:19 PM   #20
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It may be slightly psychological, but there was definately an increase of about 2~3mpg on the E46 when I switched and it seemed to be slightly smoother, quiter and maybe a shade quicker. The only definate gain was a reduction in soot out the back with a WOT. However, over time I think the mpg increase tailed off, as if they weren't making it quite as special.

Which Focus has your Mrs got? The old 1.8TDCi was like a squid.... put your foot down and disappear in a cloud of ink, even with BP Ultimate. The newer one (2.0TDCi) is much better, but still a bit down on power.
Mrs has an 06 1.6 (petrol) Focus LX (I think its an LX - not Zetec when you get the nicer interior and wheels, she's too not fussed by that sort of thing but I think regrets it now!)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 05:09 PM   #21
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba0010 View Post
Petrol engined cars perform better when the air is cold. With diesel it's the reverse. They are sharper and smoother in warm weather.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 05:14 PM   #22
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Petrol engined cars perform better when the air is cold. With diesel it's the reverse. They are sharper and smoother in warm weather.
NFS - do you think the engine is just starting to loosen up then?
Appreciate 0