E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Pulling power (335d)

11-04-2007, 05:17 PM   #23
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

the looser the faster, you should know that BB
      11-04-2007, 05:23 PM   #24
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
the looser the faster, you should know that BB
Quite true Steve, but as you know if you get piston slap, the performance drops off
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 06:05 PM   #25
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Quite true Steve, but as you know if you get piston slap, the performance drops off
Don't you need new rings to cure that!!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 06:13 PM   #26
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
Oh I thought it was something to do with "get your coat love" you've pulled...type pulling power
Damn, me too

Quote:
Keep meaning to try that BP ultimate diesel but had heard that some reckon it takes a few fill ups to notice any differnce.
That's certainly my experience - not much difference noted. Just the opposite of you BB, is that I notice gains from V Power straight away, both petrol and diesel. I've got a tank of Esso standard unleaded in the 320i at the mo and it's probably the same as V Power in terms of feel though so I've no idea how it all works

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezebm View Post
Yeh i,ve just read that,and i aint got a clue............dam stella
Yep, me too. First time I've had some in ages and it's having a disproportionate (I'll be amazed if that's spelled correctly) effect....
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 03:19 AM   #27
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
NFS - do you think the engine is just starting to loosen up then?
I would think so.

In colder weather diesels seem to get a bit more clattery and less free revving.

In contrast petrol cars love the cold air and gain a definite performance edge compared to high summer temperatures.

You are probably also getting more used to the car now and will be better placed to let rip and enjoy the performance.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 03:47 AM   #28
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
i agree to an extent NFS, still a turbod engine so therefore decent cold air feed will help!!

also worth noting, Shell V-Power diesel is Bio-diesel mix (think its bio-diesel, i forget right now) and on the fuel filler cap it says ''strictly no Bio-Diesel)

Carlos
      11-05-2007, 05:07 AM   #29
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Carlos, V-Power is NOT Bio-Diesel, and they are at pains to state this in their literature.

Quote:
Unique synthetic gas-to-liquid (GTL) fuel technology

Shell V-Power Diesel is the first and only performance fuel to incorporate the revolutionary gas-to-liquid (GTL) technology. Synthesised from natural gas - with outstanding ignition quality and exceptional purity for cleaner, efficient combustion – Shell has been a leader in the development of this special fuel component. GTL products are colourless, odourless and virtually free of sulphur.
From this I understand it to be a sort of reverse of the normal cracking process where they expend energy to get the gas to recombine into longer chain hydrocarbons.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 05:08 AM   #30
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
Carlos, V-Power is NOT Bio-Diesel, and they are at pains to state this in their literature.

From this I understand it to be a sort of reverse of the normal cracking process where they expend energy to get the gas to recombine into longer chain hydrocarbons.
Hi Matt, i did not say it is Bio diesel, it is partly formed from bio-diesel? sure thats what i read somewhere, thats why the Audo lemans winning R10 ran on it!!

Carlos
      11-05-2007, 05:17 AM   #31
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Nah, it's effectively starting from LPG and working backwards, rather than the standard stuff of starting with crude and splitting off the various fractions.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 05:18 AM   #32
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Nah, it's effectively starting from LPG and working backwards, rather than the standard stuff of starting with crude and splitting off the various fractions.
oh right, so it has not even a tiny bit of bio diesel in it then?
      11-05-2007, 05:25 AM   #33
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Not according to the literature I've got at home somewhere. It definately stated no bio-diesel. I made sure of that before stuffing any in.

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 05:40 AM   #34
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not according to the literature I've got at home somewhere. It definately stated no bio-diesel. I made sure of that before stuffing any in.
oh ok, i will try find the information i read on it?!
      11-05-2007, 06:53 AM   #35
jwbmw
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XF S

Garage List
BB - Your increase in pulling power could be associated with the adaptive software in the ECU and gearbox. This is supposed to learn your driving style and respond accordingly. The softer programmes are usually geared towards economy and the harder ones obviously geared to performance. You may find that the ECU has altered to suit your racey style

The Audi engines of a few years ago used to have an economy or performance mode. I used to do a lot of slow urban driving at that time and when ever the car was serviced it defaulted back to performance from economy which always was a surprise (nice). I later found out you could reset it yourself.

Finally, I also have a conspiracy theory regarding the BMW ECU after my experience with an E60 525d. It seemed to increase in performance and flexibility in step changes over the first few thousand miles. I am convinced (probably incorrectly) that there is some sort of enforced running-in programmed into the ECU and that it increases available performance at set intervals. If this is true then hitting 5000 km may allow you to access more performance.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 06:57 AM   #36
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbmw View Post
BB - Your increase in pulling power could be associated with the adaptive software in the ECU and gearbox. This is supposed to learn your driving style and respond accordingly. The softer programmes are usually geared towards economy and the harder ones obviously geared to performance. You may find that the ECU has altered to suit your racey style

The Audi engines of a few years ago used to have an economy or performance mode. I used to do a lot of slow urban driving at that time and when ever the car was serviced it defaulted back to performance from economy which always was a surprise (nice). I later found out you could reset it yourself.

Finally, I also have a conspiracy theory regarding the BMW ECU after my experience with an E60 525d. It seemed to increase in performance and flexibility in step changes over the first few thousand miles. I am convinced (probably incorrectly) that there is some sort of enforced running-in programmed into the ECU and that it increases available performance at set intervals. If this is true then hitting 5000 km may allow you to access more performance.

Hi JwBMW, i dont agree with the pre-set limits for running in.. Bmw would have this made known if it that the case.. after 100 miles i was thrashing the 335d and it felt quick.. it has noticebly loosened up after many thousands of miles but, it is just that ''loosened up''. Not a ecu programed ''Running in process''

Carlos
      11-05-2007, 07:03 AM   #37
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by redE93cab View Post
Don't you need new rings to cure that!!
Paul, you are quite right, new ring would tighten things up, and lubrication is obviously paramount at this point. Diesels generally have two oil 'scraper' rings don't they - hmmm..... now just relax

Last edited by beemerbird; 11-05-2007 at 11:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 07:14 AM   #38
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Hi jwbmw, note your point on the ECU and gearbox, although since running it in and giving it some, my driving style hasn't changed ie. when given the opportunity I will gun it, overtake etc. and yes the gearbox does alter accordingly. On my e90 330i after about 7k I noticed the engine picked up better, revved out more cleanly & generally felt more flexible if that makes any sense. The 335d has done this sooner & again this morning it was off like stink. The only difference being Tesco fuel and it's now colder than it has been.

So, there could be a sort of 'area 51' thing going on with BMW? Maybe need to send an agent out to investigate. The forums own X files (actually parts of this forum are already X rated & it's nowt to do with me either)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 08:37 AM   #39
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Hi jwbmw, note your point on the ECU and gearbox, although since running it in and giving it some, my driving style hasn't changed ie. when given the opportunity I will gun it, overtake etc. and yes the gearbox does alter accordingly. On my e90 330i after about 7k I noticed the engine picked up better, revved out more cleanly & generally felt more flexible if that makes any sense. The 335d has done this sooner & again this morning it was off like stink. The only difference being Tesco fuel and it's now colder than it has been.

So, there could be a sort of 'area 51' thing going on with BMW? Maybe need to send an agent out to investigate. The forums own X files (actually parts of this forum are already X rated & it's nowt to do with me either)
The gearbox doesn't learn in this way.

Instead each driver selected gearbox mode (d or ds) has 2 sub modes (economy and extreme economy for D and sport and extreme sport for DS).

The gearbox controller reads data from the DSC+ system monitoring turning forces, braking and acceleration to choose the appropriate sub mode.

The system resets every time you come to a complete halt.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 01:07 PM   #40
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi jwbmw - this is irony for you. Today my other half saw 'my' salesman John from Stratstone on the golf course (scrounged another free round!) John asked how my car was going, reply was fine apart from the thing with the brake pedal (another thread). Tell her to bring it in - yes I am going to! It was mentioned that I'd passed comment on what appeared to be an increase in performance. Having been told the mileage now covered, John in so many words repeated your conspiracy theory. He admitted he didn't really understand the technicalities but said it was to do with the ECU and limitations (enforced running in?) imposed for the protection of the engine. Therefore it strongly suggests that you are not incorrect with your theory.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 01:41 PM   #41
jwbmw
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XF S

Garage List
Quote:
Hi jwbmw - this is irony for you. Today my other half saw 'my' salesman John from Stratstone on the golf course (scrounged another free round!) John asked how my car was going, reply was fine apart from the thing with the brake pedal (another thread). Tell her to bring it in - yes I am going to! It was mentioned that I'd passed comment on what appeared to be an increase in performance. Having been told the mileage now covered, John in so many words repeated your conspiracy theory. He admitted he didn't really understand the technicalities but said it was to do with the ECU and limitations (enforced running in?) imposed for the protection of the engine. Therefore it strongly suggests that you are not incorrect with your theory.

Thanks, the step changes are too marked to be normal programme variations from my experience, and my baby is definitiely throttled back in comparison to the higher mileage ones I have driven. I shall keep a note of what happens at 5k km / 3k miles
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 02:52 PM   #42
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
a salesman is not going to know that, if the car is hitting full throttle, and high rpm... how the hell is the ecu helping it run-in? sounds a bit silwah to me
      11-05-2007, 03:16 PM   #43
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
a salesman is not going to know that, if the car is hitting full throttle, and high rpm... how the hell is the ecu helping it run-in? sounds a bit silwah to me
OK Carlos dear, I will reply. Firstly I've demoted John, he's actually the Sales Manager whom I have got to know quite well. He's always worked in the motor industry and genuinely enjoys his job because of his love of cars, specifically BMW's. He does acutally know alot about cars and keeps up to date with new technology. His answer re. the ECU was given unprompted apparently. He also said that this is why he tells customers that the car doesn't need running in, apart from brakes & tyres initially. I do not know enough about all this stuff TBH but surely the technology could be in place for this scenario to take place?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2007, 03:16 PM   #44
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
sounds a bit silwah to me
silwah??? Our American cousins will be wondering what you are on about Carlos....