E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Are my Angel Eye Resistors Too Hot?

07-07-2018, 03:35 PM   #1
pjr710
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Are my Angel Eye Resistors Too Hot?

My buddy gave me a pair of angel eyes he had. They are LED ones.

They have what look like two resistors or heatsinks. There is no fan ..

I was testing them out side by side to my GP thunders. But i noticed the drivers (little black boxes) or whatever it is, there is a small one too, get REALLY hot.

Like almost to the point where it would burn your hand.

Are all LED angel eyes like this? I didn't fully install them. I am a little worried about having those driver boxes in the headlight houseing and possibly melting a wire or the housing!

Last edited by pjr710; 07-07-2018 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 06:34 PM   #2
pjr710
Lieutenant
Rep

I just measured them .. the one resister was getting as hot as 175* ... normally at about 150 when running .. the heatsink on the bulb 115 ish ... the other resistor about 115 ish
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 08:58 PM   #3
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

LED angel eyes will get hot, but sounds very high. can you post a picture of what you have
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 08:15 AM   #4
pjr710
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
LED angel eyes will get hot, but sounds very high. can you post a picture of what you have
they look like these ones https://www.ebay.com/itm/2X60W-Cree-...d=152637079377
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 12:54 PM   #5
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjr710 View Post
OK, if they do truly get that hot i would be a bit scared of potential damage. You may want to look at the vendor section here to see what tested and proven products there are instead.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 01:28 PM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Resistors get warm but 175F sounds pretty hot. They should be warm and a little hot to touch and hold for long periods at most. If they burn you right away it sounds like they aren't running right. Makes you wonder why your friend doesn't want them
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 03:27 PM   #7
pjr710
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
OK, if they do truly get that hot i would be a bit scared of potential damage. You may want to look at the vendor section here to see what tested and proven products there are instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
Resistors get warm but 175F sounds pretty hot. They should be warm and a little hot to touch and hold for long periods at most. If they burn you right away it sounds like they aren't running right. Makes you wonder why your friend doesn't want them
Thanks guys, I did just want to make sure that if I did go higher quality that I wouldn't just have the same issues - I wanted to make sure that was not the norm.

Last thing I would ask is I know the design of the pre LCI is the main issue which causes the rings to not look the same.

However ... are there actually some LED designs that optimize the lighting up of the second ring? Or it is the same all the time .. for example having 100% brightness in inner ring and 50% brightness in outer ... is there anyway around that or is it just always that way regardless of light used.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 05:45 PM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjr710 View Post
Thanks guys, I did just want to make sure that if I did go higher quality that I wouldn't just have the same issues - I wanted to make sure that was not the norm.

Last thing I would ask is I know the design of the pre LCI is the main issue which causes the rings to not look the same.

However ... are there actually some LED designs that optimize the lighting up of the second ring? Or it is the same all the time .. for example having 100% brightness in inner ring and 50% brightness in outer ... is there anyway around that or is it just always that way regardless of light used.
No way around the flawed design of the BMW headlights with any plug and play option.

Also the further back you stand from the vehicle, the more they will come into view and appear as close to even as possible, understanding their flaws.

If they are viewed 50+ feet away and straight / level with the headlight they will look better.

Often people look at the lights from too close or an off angle. Another thing commonly found is people typically don't look at their stock angel eyes often before upgrading. Then when they get new angel eyes they scrutinize and criticize every aspect of them. They were imperfect stock is what I'm trying to say here but people still demand perfection from something that is installed in an imperfect design.

The light source is closer to the inner ring therefore the outer will always not be as bright. Also the etching of the factory rings makes them so they reflect light in a specific way where they need to be viewed from a distance and at the same level.

You will need custom rings to get 100% evenness. The downside to custom rings is the cost, reliability issues and workmanship (depending on who does the work).

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 07-09-2018 at 05:55 PM..
Appreciate 0