E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > tips on handling DE participants with 'red mist'?

08-24-2008, 11:51 PM   #1
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

tips on handling DE participants with 'red mist'?

I attended a DE yesterday at t-hill and two EVOs almost went off course in front of me (trying to keep ahead?) one went got big oversteer after cresting T5a (bypass) and another dropped wheels tracking out of T6

I dealt with it by backing waaay off. Any tips for this situation (and for making sure I do not succumb to the mist myself)?

and random note... i got signed off for HPDE 3. yay?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 12:27 AM   #2
saltwater
Rep
Drives: e46 M3, e30 HPDE rental

Sounds like a NASA event. I usually keep my distance, as you stated. It is probably the best thing to do and can often ruin one of your runs. But it is the safest thing to do in the event you deal with this.

If you haven't already, try out the different HPDE groups....TEAM Racing, HOD, Trackmasters, etc. All of them are different and have very different attendees. The NASA events I have attended tend to be more aggressive, but they are also a lot of fun. That is what made me build an e30.

I hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 12:42 AM   #3
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwater View Post
Sounds like a NASA event. I usually keep my distance, as you stated. It is probably the best thing to do and can often ruin one of your runs. But it is the safest thing to do in the event you deal with this.

If you haven't already, try out the different HPDE groups....TEAM Racing, HOD, Trackmasters, etc. All of them are different and have very different attendees. The NASA events I have attended tend to be more aggressive, but they are also a lot of fun. That is what made me build an e30.

I hope that helps.
Thanks for the perspective. I've only tried NASA and HOD so far. I'm thinking about potentially going with a group that sells track time at higher prices for more time on track, with the thought that the higher cost of entry will discourage some of the younger participants. Do you think this would cut down on drivers who try to drive over their head?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 07:05 AM   #4
Feffman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Nick, talk to the organizers as they may not be aware of the issue. Occassionally we (www.MVPTrackTime.com) have a red mister we have a "Come to Jesus" meeting with. One meeting generally settles the problem.

Feff
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 07:19 AM   #5
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltwater View Post

I hope that helps.

+1

Different groups have different cultures. I settled on a group dominated by old men in 80k-100k cars who are always happy to give you the "point by".

It comes at a price of $100-150+ more per event than most groups.
      08-25-2008, 09:29 AM   #6
saltwater
Rep
Drives: e46 M3, e30 HPDE rental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Nazareno View Post
Thanks for the perspective. I've only tried NASA and HOD so far. I'm thinking about potentially going with a group that sells track time at higher prices for more time on track, with the thought that the higher cost of entry will discourage some of the younger participants. Do you think this would cut down on drivers who try to drive over their head?
For sure. If you pick a more expensive group it will certainly cut down on this sort of thing. I have had really good luck with HOD and the BMWCCA. The drivers are usually respectful and the organizers don't tolerate any overly aggressive drivers.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 09:38 AM   #7
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
I attended a DE yesterday at t-hill and two EVOs almost went off course in front of me (trying to keep ahead?) one went got big oversteer after cresting T5a (bypass) and another dropped wheels tracking out of T6

I dealt with it by backing waaay off. Any tips for this situation (and for making sure I do not succumb to the mist myself)?

and random note... i got signed off for HPDE 3. yay?
Were they both gray metallic in color..if so..they were my friends...Sean and Edric...if they were smokin fast..they were them. Sean has done a 1:59 in his Evo at Thunderhill. They usually run in the Time Trial group.

As for the mist..you mean yourself..or your student? What helps my students is telling them to concentrate on breathing thru their nose...and deeply.

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2008, 01:17 PM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
Were they both gray metallic in color.
No, one was a blue evo X GSR and the other was a white EVO IX. Definitely not them.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 07:24 AM   #9
longodj
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
Hey congrats on moving up! Were the offenders in HPDE2 or HPDE3? HPDE2 drivers are still learning and are really excited and usually overagressive. HPDE3 drivers (me now) know what they're doing but think they're god and push WAY too hard. You may just have to play it safe until you move into the HPDE4/TT group where at least people truly know what they're doing. At least from what I've heard...and at least from what I've seen on the east coast, I'm sure it's different out there.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2008, 02:56 PM   #10
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by longodj View Post
Hey congrats on moving up! Were the offenders in HPDE2 or HPDE3? HPDE2 drivers are still learning and are really excited and usually overagressive. HPDE3 drivers (me now) know what they're doing but think they're god and push WAY too hard. You may just have to play it safe until you move into the HPDE4/TT group where at least people truly know what they're doing. At least from what I've heard...and at least from what I've seen on the east coast, I'm sure it's different out there.
Thx. The users I was complaining about were in 2

Yes, I am concerned about the aggression level in 3. I guess we'll see how it goes. I'll give 3 a try next time and may decide to stay around in 2 depending on how crazy people are. I got signed off during my 4th DE and I'm concerned I may not have enough perspective to handle myself with crazy people around
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 01:17 PM   #11
jbass524
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
You hit the nail on the head Nick. NASA attracts "Fast and Furious" types. NASA plays at enforcing safety and mutual respect on the track. Mix that with the low budget and you may see spins, crashes and ca to car incidents all before session 3. I have.

Here's a silly post on another forum you may wanna read for fun: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1024506
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 03:48 PM   #12
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524 View Post
Mix that with the low budget and you may see spins, crashes and ca to car incidents all before session 3. I have.
Yes, I've seen em too, so I back way off whenever it looks like someone is going to put it off the pavement

the worse I've seen was novice group at a motorcycle track day. 2nd session of the day someone had to be airlifted from that track. talk about a reminder to ride within your limits
Appreciate 0