Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > What is the best Tire brand you guys would suggest?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-18-2006, 07:52 AM   #23
homerfromathens
Private
Greece
Rep
Drives: saab convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A won the german ADAC test:

http://www.adac.de/Tests/Reifentests...cePageID=8772#
true, but this test didn't test RFT tires, but regular ones.

the test that i mentioned above (auto motor sport) was RFT only.
      05-25-2006, 12:36 AM   #24
Acornz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Sorry, not one of the brands mentioned in the topic but I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the BFGoodrich g-force KDWs? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2006, 07:10 AM   #25
ep609
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

hi!
if the road is dry, then the best choice would be the "michelin pilot sport 2".
this tire won every test here in germany.
so if you live in CA or FL for example ( ) you should buy this one.

greets
20.06.06-Germany vs. Ecuador-3:0*
24.06.06-Germany vs. Sweden-2:0
30.06.06-Germany vs. Argentinia-5:3
*i was there
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 06:07 PM   #26
E90 Skye
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

for performance i hear the pilot sport PS2 is top dog because of its incredible performance and still not sacrificing noise/comfort levels. I just switched from a set of yokos to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus and it was a huge difference in ride comfort and noise level. The michelins are a 1000 times quieter, and just the feeling of driving a luxury sport car returned. The yokos felt like i was driving something more edgy and not near as smooth (vibration, lots of humming noise, especially while braking)
CURRENT - E36 M3 Alpine White | BC Coils | FROMERLY - 2006 Jet Black 330i | Premium Package | ZF AT | LUX 4.0 | Jlevi M3 Front Bumper | CF Mtech spoiler | Gloss Black Grill | Msport wheel | Blacklines | Koni FSD + Eibach Pro-kit | BMS PBX
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 06:08 PM   #27
RevC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: a couple fast toys

in that subcategory, michelin PS2.

SGM e92 335xi|Helix|AFE|AWE|PROCEDE|SYNAPSE|ER|OSS|BMW PERFORMANCE|P3|always growing..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2009, 08:00 AM   #28
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

Most definitely PS2's if you have to keep runflats on the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2009, 10:29 AM   #29
XeroKill
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi

I think it all comes down to personal preference, and for myself, the best cost/performance of any tire I've ever had are Hankooks. And I'll keep buying them until I find a better deal for really sticky tires that actually last a couple seasons.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 09:05 PM   #30
Bimmerboy87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Michelin's hands down are the best. But best band for the buck id say hankook, general exclaim, toyo, and a couple others.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2009, 10:03 PM   #31
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta FTW!

These tires are the best, and they are about half the price of the PS2's.

Guys who really know tires will recommend these in a heartbeat.

It's easy to just jump on the PS2 bandwagon, but there a precious few individuals who tell you exactly WHY one tire is better than another.

Most will just say "PS2" as a reflex action.
      11-09-2009, 09:02 AM   #32
Zeph
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD

actually I had PS2's on my 350z. They were quiet, worked well in water, rode smoothly... but I really wasn't impressed from a performance standpoint. They were a little better than the stock tires. The S03 Poles were maybe slightly better on a launch and had stiffer sidewalls but I like the PS2's a little better than those as well. Then I bought Falken Azenis RT-615 tires and they blew everything else away. This was almost 3 years ago and I haven't tried any of the new "extreme" tires yet. Just by looks and tests the RE-11's might be the best street tire ever made but I wouldn't expect more than 10k miles on them. Maybe 8k rear on a 335i.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 01:21 AM   #33
font9a
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
Thumbs up

Michelin PS2 ZP Y+ ✭ are specifically designed run-flats for BMWs. (The star on the tire sidewall designates it is designed for BMW.) The ZP translates to "Zero-Pressure" or run-flat or RFT by any other name.

I just put these expensive babies on my 335i.

I had run Michelin PS A/S on my other cars with great admiration and quietness, ride, and grip.

BUT NOTHING prepared me for the upgrade from the stock Bridgestone RE050s to the PS2s. I've read all the reviews comparing the PS2s to everything, and the only other tire that even comes in close is the Goodyear F1. I don't know if the F1 comes in ✭ format…

The ride is 1000x smoother, quieter; turn in is quicker — truly, "set the steering wheel where you want to go and let the car track there" (this NEVER worked with the OEM Bridgestones.) The PS2s are grippier by miles and better in rain as well as dry. (I live in TX where ½" of snow keeps people home for a week).

I personally have had a terrific experience with all the Michelin performance tires. The PS2s especially on my 335i. I believe they are OEM on the 535i w/ sport package, but are now ✭ available for the 3-series from Tire Rack and Discount Tire.

I highly recommend them. I got Discount Tire to match my best internet price find + throw in a discount on the replacement warranty. They had the shipped overnight and waived the $114 shipping fee that Tire Rack would have charged. You want a replacement warranty/road hazard warranty because very little of the actual carcass can be "patched" if punctured.

That's my experience. And I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

✭ — font9a
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 04:18 AM   #34
BMW Jet
BMW addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AW 2006 330i Soon to be F80

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [10.00]
+1

Michelins are the best.
Treadware . Grip . Noise.
I drove my Michelins 50k miles. And an extra 10k miles carefully. Sold the car bought a E90 with G-Force on it and want to buy new Michelins again.
I may go with Continental Extreme DWS or Yokohama but the difference in price will push me to pay a bit more and get the best.

But definitely not with these brands on my local roads:

Bridgestone: Due to their double layer technology that is supposed to make the tread last longer, after 15k when the second harder layer hits, it becomes unconfortable, noisy and less grip. Bridgestone are good the first 15k, and thats it.

Pirelli: Very bad grip. I dont know why, but the tarmac in my local area is very slippery and smooth. The kind that need slicks. Once it rains, it becomes like soap and Pirellis are the worst overall performance tires in these conditions.

Goodyear:
Grip is very good, but tread-wear sucks and it is noisy. And the tire makes balloons in potholes if it does not blow up.

Hankook, Nitro, BFgoodrich, Falken, Toyo...: When u r used to the above, u cannot find those to be good tires. They just cannot get it right. The tire is either to sticky but the tread wears in 10k miles, or it is very hard and noisy and it lasts 40k miles but the grip is the worst u can have specially on wet tarmac.

Quad Exhaust / Glossy Black Grill / Carbon Fiber mirrors / OEM Rear Spoiler / Mtec V2 AE / GP Thunder beams /
7500k Fog lights / Interior light LEDs / License LEDs / Trunk LED / Black Air scoops
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 10:18 AM   #35
BMdblU
Brigadier General
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Jet View Post
+1

Michelins are the best.
Treadware . Grip . Noise.
I drove my Michelins 50k miles. And an extra 10k miles carefully. Sold the car bought a E90 with G-Force on it and want to buy new Michelins again.
I may go with Continental Extreme DWS or Yokohama but the difference in price will push me to pay a bit more and get the best.

But definitely not with these brands on my local roads:

Bridgestone: Due to their double layer technology that is supposed to make the tread last longer, after 15k when the second harder layer hits, it becomes unconfortable, noisy and less grip. Bridgestone are good the first 15k, and thats it.

Pirelli: Very bad grip. I dont know why, but the tarmac in my local area is very slippery and smooth. The kind that need slicks. Once it rains, it becomes like soap and Pirellis are the worst overall performance tires in these conditions.

Goodyear:
Grip is very good, but tread-wear sucks and it is noisy. And the tire makes balloons in potholes if it does not blow up.

Hankook, Nitro, BFgoodrich, Falken, Toyo...: When u r used to the above, u cannot find those to be good tires. They just cannot get it right. The tire is either to sticky but the tread wears in 10k miles, or it is very hard and noisy and it lasts 40k miles but the grip is the worst u can have specially on wet tarmac.

Lots of great misinformation and generalization here..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 10:30 AM   #36
BMW Jet
BMW addict
No_Country
Rep
Drives: AW 2006 330i Soon to be F80

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMdblU View Post
Lots of great misinformation and generalization here..
My comments are based on real life testing.
Not a magazine's review for the first few miles of a tire's life.

Quad Exhaust / Glossy Black Grill / Carbon Fiber mirrors / OEM Rear Spoiler / Mtec V2 AE / GP Thunder beams /
7500k Fog lights / Interior light LEDs / License LEDs / Trunk LED / Black Air scoops
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 12:33 AM   #37
font9a
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
My buddy in his 535i has BMW-specific ✭ Dunlops. They aren't RFTs and they look suspiciously like PS2s, except the scallops and siping on the inside tread is flipped. But they grip really, really well in the wet and dry. I can't tell how they compare to my PS2 ZFs, on my 335i in cornering, braking, and acceleration, but they're pretty comparable in the Ride category. Don't know about Grip or Endurance. I tend to think *my* car's grip is above the laws of physics, and it is, but my star sign says it's actually in the rubber equipment.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 02:21 AM   #38
Synergy 69
www.facebook.com/Synergy69
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335I MT

anyone have any opinions on the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo?

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...12_evo_page_10
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 07:48 AM   #39
XeroKill
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy 69 View Post
anyone have any opinions on the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo?

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...12_evo_page_10
Awesome Tires!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      01-11-2010, 09:27 AM   #40
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
PS2's aren't the best for the money that is a fact unless you want a tire thats good at everything but great in almost nothing except hydroplaning resistance and wet grip. But they are light and one of the best all around summer tire, just overpriced! But they still sell like hotcakes..

Depends on where you live as well. I live in socal so summer tires are on year round.
My car came stock with PS2's. It is a very good high performance summer tire. I have personal and extensive experience with many tires, and a couple initial impressions on others (test driving a friends car)

PS2's - Great grip, almost unbeatable wet performance (goodyear f1 gs-d3 is slightly better at this only), great turn-in response and can take high speed sweepers with great confidence (120+ on banked turn). They are also quieter than others in this category and are very comfortable causing little impact noise (bumps on freeways)
Take it to the track, it's pretty good for a couple laps but soon it'll get too hot n grease up, so it can't take serious abuse for extended periods of time. The downside is it's expensive, and if you care more for performance and can sacrifice slight hydroplaning resistance and wish to save money then this isn't the tire for you. It wasn't for me.

I had the Nitto INVO's, seeing all this hype with M3's and even more higher end cars having this tire. Tread looks unique but cool and everyone says it's like a PS2 but cheaper. Even people who had the tires on their car---- 100% wrong.
The PS2 is better in almost every category, and by such a large margin if you had to get only one of these 2 tires, the PS2's are worth the money.
The INVO's only plus is the ride is comfy, but it gets noising when you hit the wear bars, the PS2's not so much.

INVO's negatives from what I experienced - Insanely soft sidewall, only way to help it is to overinflate the tires to like 42front, 44-45 rear COLD. It helps a little with turn in and high speed stability but the comfortness goes away. Plus even with it like this the PS2 is way way more stable. Hydroplaning resistance seemed decent but if the ground is wet, the INVO's wet grip is not that good whereas the PS2 is. I honestly feel this tire is NOT for any performance car. Every characteristic about it goes against performance. If your rear end comes out (TC off) it won't give any warning by feel and when you get traction again it snaps real hard and it feels very unpredictable. (one time it snapped so hard i almost had to countersteer AGAIN).

I took the INVOs to the track, and even my buddies who drove it said car is great but they can't tell when the tires reach the limit --- each one of them spun out, and they are intermediate to advanced drivers.

Also the INVOs aren't a cheap tire IMO, way better options at this price range (1000-1100 for all 4).

I'm still in the process of testing the AD08's, will be tracking at the end of the month, but so far best tire I've ever driven on.

Bottom line, if you want cheaper alternative go Vredestein
If you want best performance tire in dry or wet with decent hydroplaning resistance go AD08 or RE-11 (go RE-11 if you never track the car)

Hope this helps!

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #41
e90-4aj
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: E46-M3, F80-M3, 970 GTS

any other people who can chime in on the Vredestiein tires??
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 05:39 PM   #42
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Dont get RFT's

Get good tires for less then RFT's and buy AAA.

enjoy
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #43
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90-4aj View Post
any other people who can chime in on the Vredestiein tires??
I hear nothing but good reviews on these tires, they look good too, there is a local vendor out here i might pick some up when my current ones die.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2018, 02:53 PM   #44
citrys
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw e92

tires

You can look latest test results and tires here, they have new models, just use translate: riepas

Vredestein in latest tests, not best-performed tires... Here are results in 205/55r16 size: ADAC TEST 2018

But in bigger size 3rd place: Autobild 2017

Last edited by citrys; 07-03-2018 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 0