E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > oil service light on??

07-25-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
sfgiant415
BOSS
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS-F

Exclamation oil service light on??

so i changed my oil about 2000 miles ago, not at the dealer i did it myself. but the problem is the change oil light is on. its a red triangle with an exclamation in the middle. saying that im past my oil change. i was wondering if there is any way i can get the light to go away with out going to the dealer? or a away i can reset it?
      07-25-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
deathsightx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Are you out of the orginal warrenty? If not I would take it to the dealer seeing as how they'll change the oil at no cost to you if you're still covered under the maintence program. If not turn the key all the way on but dont start the car (I think, if it doesnt work start the car). Hold your mileage reset button in the cluster until a triangle appears, after this a image of the diff. items will appear, get to the oil change one (it should be red anyway to make it easier to tell) when u get to it hit the BC button on your turn signal. It will say "RESET?" release the button and hold it down until it shows a little clock thing and resets the mileage.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 325i; F10 528i; 2002tii

This is from another post on another board, but it worked for me:

Step 1
Insert key into slot

Step 2
Press start/stop button without depressing clutch/brake and wait for the service reminder to dissapear.

Step 3
Immediately after service reminder goes out, press and hold the odometer reset. After 3 secs a warning triangle will appear, keep the odo. button pressed and after another 2-3 secs the Oil can will appear. I f you hold it too long (10 secs in total) you will overshoot the runway and some German writing will appear giving the software level/ can bus etc. of the car. Go back to the beginning and start again.

Step 4
You are now in the service menu, use the toggle switch on indicator stalk to scroll up/down through the various service items.

Step 5
When you have the item you want to reset showing, press the BC button on end of indicator stalk. Reset should now appear in the display. Press in and hold the BC button for 2-3 secs and a clock will start whirling around and hey presto, its done

Step 6
You can now either scroll up/down to select another item (as in step 4) or you can press the start/stop button to exit.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 05:59 AM   #4
FRESHE90
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 742 View Post
This is from another post on another board, but it worked for me:

Step 1
Insert key into slot

Step 2
Press start/stop button without depressing clutch/brake and wait for the service reminder to dissapear.

Step 3
Immediately after service reminder goes out, press and hold the odometer reset. After 3 secs a warning triangle will appear, keep the odo. button pressed and after another 2-3 secs the Oil can will appear. I f you hold it too long (10 secs in total) you will overshoot the runway and some German writing will appear giving the software level/ can bus etc. of the car. Go back to the beginning and start again.

Step 4
You are now in the service menu, use the toggle switch on indicator stalk to scroll up/down through the various service items.

Step 5
When you have the item you want to reset showing, press the BC button on end of indicator stalk. Reset should now appear in the display. Press in and hold the BC button for 2-3 secs and a clock will start whirling around and hey presto, its done

Step 6
You can now either scroll up/down to select another item (as in step 4) or you can press the start/stop button to exit.
thanks.. that was a big help.
      03-23-2014, 08:26 PM   #5
fnckr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6mt

Bump for those who don't know or don't search. I've used this thread multiple times and again today. Thanks to 742!