E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > General questions about a new motor swap

11-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
undisclothesed
Private
Rep
Drives:

General questions about a new motor swap

As you may have heard the weather up here in the northeast has been pretty crappy as of late. My 1 year old 335 is currently sitting at the dealer getting a new motor put in due to hydrolock. I've never had a new motor put in before, I have a few general questions if anyone could help me out.

Should I break in the motor all over again when I get the car back?

My car had a BMW Stage 1 flash, I don't think that will be affected since the ecu isn't being replaced, can anyone confirm?

What kind of possible mechanical problems should i be aware of with something like this?

Is swapping a motor more "straightforward" (simpler) vs. taking apart the motor to make internal repairs?

Thanks for your help.

Also, my car is a lease, my dealer says this event won't effect the lease at all (including penalties) since the car is being fixed at the dealer with all BMW parts, is this true?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undisclothesed View Post
As you may have heard the weather up here in the northeast has been pretty crappy as of late. My 1 year old 335 is currently sitting at the dealer getting a new motor put in due to hydrolock. I've never had a new motor put in before, I have a few general questions if anyone could help me out.

Should I break in the motor all over again when I get the car back?

My car had a BMW Stage 1 flash, I don't think that will be affected since the ecu isn't being replaced, can anyone confirm?

What kind of possible mechanical problems should i be aware of with something like this?

Is swapping a motor more "straightforward" (simpler) vs. taking apart the motor to make internal repairs?

Thanks for your help.

Also, my car is a lease, my dealer says this event won't effect the lease at all (including penalties) since the car is being fixed at the dealer with all BMW parts, is this true?
I would think the only one that could answer your questions would be the dealer. Its a lease....drive it and give it back. Thats the beauty of leasing.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
Blackhawk36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6MT No iDrive

"Is swapping a motor more "straightforward" (simpler) vs. taking apart the motor to make internal repairs?"

Hydrolock means cracked head or cracked block as the cause and rust and maybe bent rods as a result. You don't want that motor fixed. You want it replaced.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 11:01 AM   #4
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

1. Yes, you must do another break-in if you're getting a new motor; that's in the manual. If you're getting a used one, no.

2. If the ECU stays the same, your tune should absolutely survive. It should even survive a software update if for whatever reason they perform one.

3. No issues I can think to watch out for except maybe vibrations from incorrectly set up motor mounts. Just don't be paranoid.

4. You absolutely do not want them to attempt internal repairs on your engine, even if they were crazy enough to offer.

5. The lease statement is correct. Technically the work being done at the dealer isn't even required on a lease, unless BMW is different? But generally you're fine as long as any repair work during a lease uses OEM parts and of course is done correctly. For example, if you're in an accident you don't need to take it to the body shop the dealer uses. Of course using the dealer would be a sort of insurance since if an accident is on that car's record and they find some issue with the repair work (real or bogus) during return inspection, you can just tell them that's what the dealer did. But you'll be fine here.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)

Last edited by jphughan; 11-09-2012 at 11:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
undisclothesed
Private
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0