E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Havent started 335 in 3 MONTHS! help! not sure what to do

04-04-2014, 09:03 PM   #1
jonnn335
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335

Havent started 335 in 3 MONTHS! help! not sure what to do

So my 08 335i has been sitting in my parking space for the past 3 months because of my registration suspension. It has been a snowy cold winter and I did not disconnect my battery. My car was also in need of new spark plugs and I got them but there not installed. I haven't tried starting the car yet because I want to take every precaution before I do so. Do I have to worry about the gas that's been sitting in the car becoming gunk? also should I replace spark plugs before I try starting? and if it doesn't start will changing them fix it? will I need to buy a new battery?

also the car was also leaking oil slightly. im sure over the past 3 months it leaked a lot. can I just fill it with 2 bottles of oil and it should be okay?

thanks for any advice and help for this car noob
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 01:23 AM   #2
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnn335 View Post
So my 08 335i has been sitting in my parking space for the past 3 months because of my registration suspension. It has been a snowy cold winter and I did not disconnect my battery. My car was also in need of new spark plugs and I got them but there not installed. I haven't tried starting the car yet because I want to take every precaution before I do so. Do I have to worry about the gas that's been sitting in the car becoming gunk? also should I replace spark plugs before I try starting? and if it doesn't start will changing them fix it? will I need to buy a new battery? lso the car was also leaking oil slightly. im sure over the past 3 months it leaked a lot. can I just fill it with 2 bottles of oil and it should be okay?

thanks for any advice and help for this car noob
Way too many issues and questions raised by your post:

1) Why did you leave the car in your space w/o ever starting it over the past 3 months?
2) If you are now worried about your gas turning to gunk, why didn't you put any stabilizer in it 3 months ago?
3) Why would you want to put plugs in it before trying to start it?
4) Why do you want to fill the car w/2 quarts of oil when it was only leaking oil "slightly"?

My advice?

Just try to start the car. If the dash doesn't light up and/or if the car won't start, it's probably the battery. Charge the battery and try again. If it still won't start and you have no clue what's wrong with it, have it towed to the dealer or a qualified mechanic to diagnose and fix the problem.

Good luck!

Last edited by SSW; 04-05-2014 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 02:12 AM   #3
jonnn335
Registered
Rep

thanks for the reply. as far as the gas thing I honestly had no clue till I read that it could turn to "gunk" and that's why I raised the question. I didn't know not starting your car could cause all these problems. I honestly thought the worst that could happen is the battery dying. but as far as the gas. will trying to start it with the "gunk" gas in there mess up anything? should I try to get that gas in there out first and refilling?

the oil I remember having to put in a quart every 2 months or so when I was driving it tahts why I say 2 quarts to be safe.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 05:41 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnn335 View Post
thanks for the reply. as far as the gas thing I honestly had no clue till I read that it could turn to "gunk" and that's why I raised the question. I didn't know not starting your car could cause all these problems. I honestly thought the worst that could happen is the battery dying. but as far as the gas. will trying to start it with the "gunk" gas in there mess up anything? should I try to get that gas in there out first and refilling?

the oil I remember having to put in a quart every 2 months or so when I was driving it tahts why I say 2 quarts to be safe.
OP, just relax a bit. 1st off yeah, today's gasoline is not as stable as gas 30 years ago, but it doesn't varnish (that's the term you are looking for) in three months. Adding stable would have been a good idea, but for three months I doubt you'll have an issue. In fuel injected cars gasoline is under pressure (that drops off over time) and not exposed to the air (i.e. moisture) as mush as in a carbureted car so it takes much longer for the fuel to deteriorate.

As far as the oil DO NOT add 2 quarts of oil to the engine. Engines leak oil generally when they are running and the oil is under pressure. When the engine is just sitting, the oil level in the oil pan is below the lowest seals in the engine, which are the oil pan gasket and crankshaft seals, so it can't leak out of seals that are above the level of the oil. Now, on the N54 there is chance that oil can leak past the o-ring that seals the oil sensor, and worst case if, the drain bolt is loose, but I doubt that is an issue with your car. But to be sure, just simply take a good flashlight and look under the car and at the topside of the bottom engine cover (belly pan) and see if there is a massive amount of oil spilled. An engine has to have a serious leak to leak out 2 quarts of oil when it is not running. Finally, you can check the static level of the oil before you start the engine. Just turn the ignition on (press the start button without your foot on the brake) and then check the oil level as you normally do. If the engine has enough oil in it to run the car will show an "OK" symbol.

As far as the battery, you may just want to preemptively jump start the car so you don't strain any starting components or electronics with a weak battery (low voltage) , but that's just precautionary; it will probably start just fine. Many Posters here have left a car for 3 months, get in and fire it up and drive on their merry way.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 04-06-2014 at 06:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #5
jonnn335
Registered
Rep

thank you very much for the helpful reply
Appreciate 0