E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > e92 HIDs not colorful?

01-15-2007, 03:37 AM   #45
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhaulball
my opinion: you think a blue car is nice, he thinks blue hid's is nice, do you see him giving you a pain in the ass for your paint color choice? didnt think so.
thats actually part of the point i was trying to make before, if someone said they didnt like montego blue i would just think "oh that person does not like montego blue" i would not try to convince them that i chose blue for some other reaosn then the fact that its blue, and actually i did express my dislike for the flat red paint, more importantly, why is it a problem if i express the fact that i dont like the red paint?

and retrodrive as i said before, experience or knowledge has nothing to do with it, he want blue in his headlights, i think thats dumb, it really is that simple

and again as i said before, if i was simple allowed to express my opinion without the op trying to force his opinion on me thats the only post you would have seen out of me in this thread
      01-15-2007, 04:09 AM   #46
dArNeLLi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i on ED, pickup 10/6

haha okay once and for all, i want blue tint on my headlights now gtf out of this thread, you're backed into a corner, you can't bring a knife to a gun fight man, you'll just lose. its like you're crippled in battle, and everyone is caving in around you, you lying on the ground swinging a butter knife recklessly with both you're legs and one of your arms paralzed, you're hopeless and helpless! as i said, stop defending and just get out, i'm rice for wanting blue tint on my headlights, are you satisfied? go give enma some love, she look she needs it as much as you, i hear honda-tech.net has some good thread battles, good place for ya

as for the colorshift, it's a matter of just changing the angle of the cutoff plate inside the projector ever so slightly that it causes a little blurb in the cutoff line, which should result in a color flicker enhancement, and NOT BLUE HEADLIGHT output, just for clarification for any lost souls in this thread, i want to grab some pics of the back of our projector and ask the guys over at hidplanet.com and see what their opinions are, those got can achieve some awesome flicker

btw, where is the mod to ban this guy from this thread anyways?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 04:20 AM   #47
retrodrive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

It is what it is. I get flamed by people who prefer cheap wheels on their expensive cars. We all get likes and dislikes. Some simply need to draw the lines between rice/cheapness and preferences a little more carefully.

Personally JDM Tyte y0 hid kits that are 6000k and up are absolute rice in my book. To me it is completely different from a dedicated projector HID setup with a slight colormod.

I will tell you this though; all the exotics come with some very blue/purple and sometimes pink flicker in their headlights. That does not make them any more ricey; just unique and different from everybody on the road.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 04:24 AM   #48
dArNeLLi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i on ED, pickup 10/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodrive
It is what it is. I get flamed by people who prefer cheap wheels on their expensive cars. We all get likes and dislikes. Some simply need to draw the lines between rice/cheapness and preferences a little more carefully.

Personally JDM Tyte y0 hid kits that are 6000k and up are absolute rice in my book. To me it is completely different from a dedicated projector HID setup with a slight colormod.

I will tell you this though; all the exotics come with some very blue/purple and sometimes pink flicker in their headlights. That does not make them any more ricey; just unique and different from everybody on the road.
well said, those exotics look absolutely amazing at night
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 08:33 AM   #49
specialque
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3cs, 2018 McLaren 720S

FYI.

The Washer mod is a poor solution, it actually makes the lights worse. It'll move the focal point from where it needs to be. All you are doing is causing move of a spread in the light. It does create a larger colorshift but it will do it at the increased cost of the more refraction of light above the cutoff line.

Luke
2014 BMW X3 M-Sport Carbon Black/Mojave Brown - Beater
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 09:40 AM   #50
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Any further off-topic posts in this thread will be removed.
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 09:41 AM   #51
stopsign
Rep
Drives:

teknochild, seriously-- you've expressed your opinion, now please stop messing up the discussion. it's a difference in preferences and obviously the people posting here are all on the same side of what we prefer.

I'm aware that the washer mod does change the focal point a little bit, but the cutoff on the E90 is blurred anyway.

What size lense is in the E90? What also seemed to work was a "clearer" lense from another car that could get better, sharper, and more colorful output.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 11:08 AM   #52
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

how do we access the cutoff plate anyways. and how do u bend it. our headlights are near impossible to open. and i know of people who experimented with it and damaged parts of the headlight which are irreplacable. could u figure a way to bend the plate without opening the housing? maybe in the bulb compartment which u can access thru the wheel well?
      01-15-2007, 11:57 AM   #53
Minipuck V 2.0
秘書負責保持它真正
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 快車

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialque
Ok boys and girls; watch your toes, because i'm about to drop some knowledge.

At little background on me. I've been in the "retrofit" business for a long time. I got out of it because it just got to be too much. HRC will vouch for my work. Anyways, the amount of light output is indirectly correlated to the color tempurature. As you increase color tempurature (ie these BS 6000k and 8000k kits) the actual light output decreases past 4400k. Hence the reason all OEM D2S/D2R HID lights are rated at 4350/4400k.

Now to address the matter of color you all speak of. This band of purple/blue light is know as the colorshift. This simply is the bending of light within the projector lense. There are three major players in the OEM projector market: BOSCH, HELLA & VALEO. These "colorful projectors" you all see are usually valeo projectors. Their lense is slightly more convex so the light is spread a little more creating the color shift. However they are the least efficient and aren't as bright but are the cheapest for the car companies. Most BMWs use either BOSCH or HELLA. Their lenses are not as convex as the Valeo's so you don't get as much of a color shift.

Now keep in mind they all produce the same color spread, it won't matter which brand projector you have. The difference lies in the degrees of the spread. So depending on which angle the car is at when light hits your eyes is what color you'll see. You'll notice the audi's and VW's and S2000s because they all use valeo projectors and have a large shift. The BMW projectors produce exactly the same colors but the angles at which the colors are apparent aren't as big. If you park your car with lights on. Walk about 75ft in front of the car and slowly lower yourself into the color shift you'll see that the car produces the same look as the audi and S2000's lights.

This can however be altered. There is a process to increase the bend of the light on the BOSCH and HELLA projectors to produce more of a color shift than even the Valeo's. I'm weary of disclosing this because I don't want anyone messing up their headlight and blaming me.

I hope my .02 helped.

Luke
I don't think it helped what been going on all that much. But it does make sense to me. I bought some 6000K bulbs from suvlights.com and put then in my car because i noticed that the light output from OEM wasn't to my liking.

I had HELLA HID projectors on my 2000 VW Passat (B5) and I thought those were some sick headlights. The color output and how it looked was very good IMHO. I do notice that on the E90 the light output even with 6000K wasn't the same as the B5.

I mostly thought it was from the adaptive feature on the car that when the car is driving on maybe a rough road going up and down, it wouldn't blind people as much. I thought it was just a safety feature BMW designed into their headlight system.

edit: KSfrogman has 8000K on his car, I drove in front of him a couple of times and I thought the HIDs were blue. My opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 12:23 PM   #54
JIMD1709
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328 Coupe Alpine White

The color of the stock D1S will change after about 50 to 60 hours of burn in time.
I went through this with my E90. By the time I got around to changing the bulbs, they looked OK to me. The get more Blue/White with a few months of use. I don't know why this is, but it will happen.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 02:06 PM   #55
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMD1709
The color of the stock D1S will change after about 50 to 60 hours of burn in time.
I went through this with my E90. By the time I got around to changing the bulbs, they looked OK to me. The get more Blue/White with a few months of use. I don't know why this is, but it will happen.
i didnt have this effect. i had mine for about 7 months before i decided to switch to higher temperatures.
      01-15-2007, 03:40 PM   #56
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMD1709
i've own my e90 for about 2 years now. i have 39k mile on them. i have drove to san francisco and las vegas many times. i think have exceeded my 50-60 hours. they still look white to. i decided to go with the osram 6000k bulb. i guess you cant take the "rice" out of me.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 05:32 PM   #57
JIMD1709
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328 Coupe Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran
i've own my e90 for about 2 years now. i have 39k mile on them. i have drove to san francisco and las vegas many times. i think have exceeded my 50-60 hours. they still look white to. i decided to go with the osram 6000k bulb. i guess you cant take the "rice" out of me.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2007, 05:51 PM   #58
Minipuck V 2.0
秘書負責保持它真正
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 快車

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtran
How about we take out the "pho?"
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2007, 10:07 PM   #59
DowntownBMW
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknochild View Post
so let me ask you this, what do you think about a 335 that has had a blow off valve installed, super loud exhaust, blue w/e headlights, maybe a vented hood, maybe some neon and brightly painted interior trim, maybe some racing stripes too?

the point is its just one link in the chain

and for the record i dont hate civic owners, and i even think that some of the ricey mods can look good, but a lot of it has no buisness on a BMW
technoCHILD, give it up buddy!

note the caps on child!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2007, 10:15 PM   #60
BMWPower06
A^M=G is nothing w/o the Power of ///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 & ///M3

get 8000K bulbs? i have em they look nice
      03-01-2007, 05:20 PM   #61
Park828
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Man

i've been moding head lights since i got my license 11 years ago.. i really can't comment of how the e90/e92 headlights look yet (335i e90 on order!! can't wait!) but they do seem a bit on the yellow side. same thing with the new audi's.. buddy just bought a A3 and he is coming from s2k his look like halogens from the interior.

I've tried all types of different kelvin and type of oem and retrofits..

4300k and 8000k in e39 bixenon in e36 prolumins in zkw h1s` catz bixenon H4 in volvo ecodes you name it..

my suggestions...

what ever you do.. dont go over 6000k ( personally i stay at 5000k or 5500k )

when i had the e39 bixenons in my e36 zkw with 8000k bulbs.. it just sucked in terms of light output.

i really like those 1st/2nd gen valeo projectors from audi's but dont see too many new cars with them..
Appreciate 0