E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > E90 330i vs E46 330i throttle feel

10-08-2012, 07:20 AM   #1
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
E90 330i vs E46 330i throttle feel

Now with my E90 330i apparently needing two new DISA Flaps and a new Thermostat, I am hoping that this will solve the "pinking" sound that I have been struggling to get rid of for a while now, but also hoping that the throttle feel will improve in as far as less or no jerkiness between on / off throttle inputs.

Reason for this post - I helped a friend with some DIY on his E46 330i 6MT M Sport yesterday and took the car for a spin afterwards, throttle feel is also a bit dead like the E90, but absolutely no jerkiness to the throttle when going between on and off throttle, especially at lower speeds and lower throttle positions which is where my E90 330i is particularly jerky at times. Is my car simply misbehaving due to the problem with the DISA Flaps and the faulty Thermostat which is making the engine run under temperature and most likely over-fueling, or is this how these cars are in reality?

So ultimately I need to hear from those who have come from owning an E46 330i manual to owning an E90 330i manual...

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Might be worth trying the throttle re-learn procedure:

1. Insert key and press start without depressing clutch
2. Press throttle pedal to the floor and hold there for 60 seconds
3. Press start again and turn power off
4. Remove foot from throttle pedal
5. Wait two minutes before starting up as normal.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Thanks, I know about this and have done this a number of times. The effects are either short lived or placebo affect - E46 330i also has drive by wire throttle so is also prone to this rubbish lack of throttle feel, but did not notice any jerkiness compared to mine.

Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Fair enough. It worked for me, I had about an inch of 'dead' travel in my throttle pedal before I did the re-learn.

Have you thought about one of these?

http://www.sprintboostersales.com/de...%20or%20Diesel
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Fair enough. It worked for me, I had about an inch of 'dead' travel in my throttle pedal before I did the re-learn.

Have you thought about one of these?

http://www.sprintboostersales.com/de...%20or%20Diesel
The throttle reset does help in my opinion, but as I say, only to a point and for a short while - the E46 reset process is at least fairly quick compared the the E90. I just find that when I compare the nature of the throttle and engine behaviour, my car tends to have a fair amount of engine braking off throttle, and then quite lumpy and jerky when feeding the power back on, more so in many cases if you try and feed the power as smoothly and gently as possible - sometimes it wants a bit more of a firm and direct input of throttle from off throttle. Whereas my friend's 330i or for that matter my Wife's 320i, the engine braking is not as fierce and reapplying throttle is completely smooth without the slightest roughness.

With regards to the throttle re-mappers, I have been trying out the BMS Powerbox for a few months now and for me it mostly just makes matters worse, so for quite some time now I have been running it disabled in map 0. Affectively all it is doing when activated is aggravating the inherent jerkiness, and for me, makes the throttle feel a bit less predicable most of the time. Primarily spent time trying out maps 2 (not too bad) and 3 (jerky from off throttle).

Ideally this car should be smooth and refined from stock in the first place - but this is specifically why I want to hear from E46 to E90 owners for their experiences...

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
trekker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Might be worth trying the throttle re-learn procedure:

1. Insert key and press start without depressing clutch
2. Press throttle pedal to the floor and hold there for 60 seconds
3. Press start again and turn power off
4. Remove foot from throttle pedal
5. Wait two minutes before starting up as normal.
Does this reset still work or worthwhile with BMS PowerBox installed?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekker View Post
Does this reset still work or worthwhile with BMS PowerBox installed?
As far as I know it does, since all the PBX does is modify the throttle pedal signal from the car's system, so adaptations still learn - I think to play safe (to ensure that it works) I would set the PBX to Map 0 and then perform the normal throttle reset, then set the PBX Map that you want...

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
RupertPupkin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Freak Beast

Dude...6MT 330i here. I have the same jerkiness in my throttle. Pisses me off. I feel like every time I press the throttle I don't know what to expect. Hate the drive by wire. Totally miss the predictability of a cable directly to the throttle body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
As far as I know it does, since all the PBX does is modify the throttle pedal signal from the car's system, so adaptations still learn - I think to play safe (to ensure that it works) I would set the PBX to Map 0 and then perform the normal throttle reset, then set the PBX Map that you want...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2012, 08:43 AM   #9
trekker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
I will give it a go to see what happens, thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 07:27 AM   #10
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
Dude...6MT 330i here. I have the same jerkiness in my throttle. Pisses me off. I feel like every time I press the throttle I don't know what to expect. Hate the drive by wire. Totally miss the predictability of a cable directly to the throttle body.
Well, really losing interest in this car at the moment - the throttle feel issue as annoying as is I can live with it provided everything else is fine, but battling to get a rattle and power dip issue sorted out with the agents. They are just plain useless! A third party tuner with their diagnostics found that there's a problem with the two DISA Flaps, the thermostat (over-cooling), and the valvetronic motor - agents insist on running their own diagnostics and surprise surprise no errors come up. So much for sheer driving pleasure! Bought this car thinking that it would be a practical and low risk (mechanical issues) car! Guess I was wrong!

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 03:07 AM   #11
thecadman99
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i 6mt spt bk/bk

Yeah my e36 throttle is easier to modulate than my 330 for sure. It makes shifting a challenge. I did the throttle reset and it seemed to help but definitely not a fix.

I've been eyeing the AA tune, but there's no-one local that does is.

The only thing that helps me is practice.
      10-18-2012, 04:43 AM   #12
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecadman99 View Post
Yeah my e36 throttle is easier to modulate than my 330 for sure. It makes shifting a challenge. I did the throttle reset and it seemed to help but definitely not a fix.

I've been eyeing the AA tune, but there's no-one local that does is.

The only thing that helps me is practice.
I get it right most of the time, but lots of very careful concentration, especially when driving around other cars driving at awkward speeds etc. But sometimes it still catches a person out...

Appreciate 0