E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Blackvue saved me today. Asked for no wash at dealer, received soft cloth

12-01-2012, 04:29 AM   #1
BigFoig
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 335is

Blackvue saved me today. Asked for no wash at dealer, received soft cloth

So I went to get my scheduled oil change today as well as the vehicle inspection as per the maintenance schedule on the BMW.

I went to a dealership in the GTA. The reason I'm leaving the name out is because they resolved the issue by offering me a full vehicle polishing on my next visit.

But I wanted to show you guys how if there was no recording how SOL I would be.

So I asked the service advisor for no wash he said ok.

30 mins later he comes back and tells me they hand washed it. So I said ok that's fine. Didn't like it but better than getting a soft cloth wash.

I went outside to inspect the car and there was a lot of swirls marks on the hood and fenders. Plus the car was dripping and areas normally washed when hand washed were not washed. (i.e gap between the mirrors)

Thankfully I have the new S3 now because I can plug my sd card into the external mem slot and review footage off the phone.

What I saw shocked me. They gave me a soft cloth car wash even though the service advisor told me that it was hand washed.

So I went back inside to complain and the manager went outside with me to inspect the vehicle and he concluded that if I asked for no wash and got a wash and recieved the swirls than he will comp me a vehicle polishing.

Thanks blackvue you saved the day.

I've had friends tell me that they had a swirless car but after service they recieved a swirled car and were SOL because they couldn't prove the swirls weren't there before.

Thanks to the video footage you can't argue back.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 04:32 AM   #2
cuiter23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87 M2 6Spd

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [6.00]
bigfoiggggg

+1 for blackvue, definitely worth the investment!
[SOLD] 2007 E90 328i - Titanium Metallic l 19" VMR V710 l H&R Trak+ Spacers l M-Sport Rear Bumper l Mtech Rear Lip Spoiler l Hamann Front Lip l Eibach Sportline l AA N52 Signature Exhaust l OEM Blacklines l MTEC V3 AE l 6000K HID l Nokya 7000K Fogs l MTEC License Plate LED l Interior LED l 15% Tint l BlackVue DR380G-HD + PMP
2023 G87 M2 6Spd - HEA Package | OEM M Performance Carbon Wing
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

Wow, it's amazing the difficulties we face each and every day in this World!
      12-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

That's weird, I would agree it should be used to bust dishonest dealers (like when they don't change the oil because there is no way you can tell since there's no dipstick), but on a carwash, not really sure. The absolute bottom line is only M cars are hand wash. Just ask for no wash. It doesn't take a camera to show that the car has been washed. If you said no wash, and they did, doesn't really matter if it were done by hand (which it wont be unless you have a M, or machine) or not, they didn't follow instructions.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
SilverII
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335IS

Garage List
2011 BMW 335IS  [9.66]
first world problem
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

Same thing happened to me after I had asked the SA not to wash it, he wrote it on the keys, and the work order.... and they still did. Careless idiots. They offered me a detail too. TRUST ME don't accept that detail, it will be worse than what you have now. You think they have professional detailers back there? Nope, 19 year old kids who can give a shit about a car they can't afford.

Don't mind these guys ^. They would post something up like this immediately if it happened to them, but since it didn't they just want to be funny guys.

Last edited by AddictedToBavarian; 12-01-2012 at 10:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
J02 335i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
That's weird, I would agree it should be used to bust dishonest dealers (like when they don't change the oil because there is no way you can tell since there's no dipstick), but on a carwash, not really sure. The absolute bottom line is only M cars are hand wash. Just ask for no wash. It doesn't take a camera to show that the car has been washed. If you said no wash, and they did, doesn't really matter if it were done by hand (which it wont be unless you have a M, or machine) or not, they didn't follow instructions.
Never heard that one before? There are 6 and 7 series worth much more then 1m's and M3's. I could understand if only the "high end" cars were hand washed but not just M models. Doesn't make much sense to me. They should all be washed properly or not at all imo.

Sport pack, JB3, Dci, factory oil cooler, 18" M3 reps, Michelin PSS, painted trim, black grills, smoked side markers, LED plate lights, H&R coils, Borla catback
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
335dM
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d m package

My 335 is always hand washed at both my dealers!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 12:15 PM   #9
Thrakos
Audaces fortuna juvat
Canada
Rep
Drives: Black E90 328xi

Indeed - I prefer the dealer not wash my cars at all. I like washing my vehicles, wax, polish, etc.. kind of relaxing, actually
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #10
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

nice catch
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

It's the principle too. Following simple instructions and respecting others wishes makes life grand. Think about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #12
BOBKUR
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoig View Post
So I went to get my scheduled oil change today as well as the vehicle inspection as per the maintenance schedule on the BMW.

I went to a dealership in the GTA. The reason I'm leaving the name out is because they resolved the issue by offering me a full vehicle polishing on my next visit.

But I wanted to show you guys how if there was no recording how SOL I would be.

So I asked the service advisor for no wash he said ok.

30 mins later he comes back and tells me they hand washed it. So I said ok that's fine. Didn't like it but better than getting a soft cloth wash.

I went outside to inspect the car and there was a lot of swirls marks on the hood and fenders. Plus the car was dripping and areas normally washed when hand washed were not washed. (i.e gap between the mirrors)

Thankfully I have the new S3 now because I can plug my sd card into the external mem slot and review footage off the phone.

What I saw shocked me. They gave me a soft cloth car wash even though the service advisor told me that it was hand washed.

So I went back inside to complain and the manager went outside with me to inspect the vehicle and he concluded that if I asked for no wash and got a wash and recieved the swirls than he will comp me a vehicle polishing.

Thanks blackvue you saved the day.

I've had friends tell me that they had a swirless car but after service they recieved a swirled car and were SOL because they couldn't prove the swirls weren't there before.

Thanks to the video footage you can't argue back.
Do you keep an eye on your wife too.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #13
M0.92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e92

Had similar story. One of my rims had a long scratch on it after the dealer washed it. I didn't notice until I got home so I called my SA. He told me to bring the car back and they would fix it, which they did. Since then I always tell them no wash and so far they have not done it.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #14
Ryballz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335d

Under no circumstances would I allow the dealer to wash or detail my car.
Their polish they offer you is going to make things worse. Have them reimburse you for a quality job somewhere else.
They'll let some 19 year old kid making $9 an hour 'detail' your car. He'll polish it using the same wool buffer pad he's 'polished' 30 cars with that week, and probably end up etching the shit out of your clear.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 05:13 PM   #15
AndreyT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan, Sport

The most important step in any car wash is the very first one, when you use clean water to blow off the accumulated grit off the surface of your car's finish. If the abrasive particles were properly removed before the actual washing began, it does not really matter what kind of car wash you use - hand wash, soft cloth, mechanical brushes or anything else. It makes virtually no difference (assuming the washing medium is properly maintained).

You said they gave your car swirl marks? That was caused by the grit that was left on the car before the actual wash began. Under such circumstances, hand wash is in no way better than anything else. I'd even say that you get uglier swirl marks from hand wash than from a mechanical brush.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #16
BigFoig
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyT View Post
The most important step in any car wash is the very first one, when you use clean water to blow off the accumulated grit off the surface of your car's finish. If the abrasive particles were properly removed before the actual washing began, it does not really matter what kind of car wash you use - hand wash, soft cloth, mechanical brushes or anything else. It makes virtually no difference (assuming the washing medium is properly maintained).

You said they gave your car swirl marks? That was caused by the grit that was left on the car before the actual wash began. Under such circumstances, hand wash is in no way better than anything else. I'd even say that you get uglier swirl marks from hand wash than from a mechanical brush.
Makes sense. If there was dirt on the body before hand hand washing or machine washing just rubs it in.
Appreciate 0