E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > New suspension not settling evenly, wheel wobble.

09-06-2018, 03:54 PM   #1
kwseattle
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335d M Sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 335d  [0.00]
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
New suspension not settling evenly, wheel wobble.

Hi guys,

A few months ago I installed in my 2011 335d M Sport a set of Koni yellows with Dinan springs, mounted with all new rubber spring pads and strut mounts. In order to install the struts I had to loosen the tension struts and guide rods (the inner control arm joints), which require pre-loading upon reinstallation. I did not pre-load them and opted to have the alignment shop do this for me, although I am pretty sure they ignored my request entirely.

At the same time, I replaced all four brake rotors, pads, guide pins, and flushed the brake fluid.

I was told to expect the car to settle over the coming months, because the ride height started out about 2 inches too tall when placing the car on the ground for the first time.

I noticed pretty quickly that my car had a brand new vibration in the steering wheel at speeds above 50 mph. Before the install it was perfectly smooth up to 120 mph with a freshly straightened set of style 193M wheels, brand new H&R 10mm hubcentric spacers up front, and a fresh alignment. The vibration is NOT in my brake pedal, only in the steering wheel.

Fast forward a few weeks, the vibration is getting worse, and the front driver side corner is not settling right. The passenger side looks great, but the driver side is about half an inch taller. I figured this could be due to the control arm bushing pre-load, so I had a friend's shop throw in a set of brand new M3 control arms using my aftermarket warranty (lol).

After this, the vibration is improved but not gone yet. Since the control arm install, I still have a slight vibration at 60+ mph and the driver side is still about 5mm taller than the passenger side.

Does anyone know what else I could check? Sway bar end links? Tie rods? I'm at a loss as to why the suspension is not fully settling and why this vibration would suddenly show up when before it was smooth as glass.

Could the wobble be related to the uneven suspension?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0