E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > MHD Adapter to Rheingold/INPA?

12-26-2021, 01:15 PM   #1
Peter5498
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i e93

MHD Adapter to Rheingold/INPA?

Is there possibly a way to configure my MHD wireless adapter to run in accordance with Rheingold or INPA?

If not, what exact K+DCAN cables do you guys use? All cables on Amazon have mixed ratings.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 07:06 PM   #2
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

It will not. You can gamble on an eBay cable or get the BimmerGeeks Pro Cable. If you do get an eBay cable, get the one with the green circuit board. That's the one I got. It's worked great for me for the last 8 years, but you need to tell the seller that is the one you are looking for.

Last edited by Welcome to NBA Jam; 12-30-2021 at 12:03 AM..
Appreciate 2
      12-29-2021, 09:33 PM   #3
bleicht
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

+1 ebay cable
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2021, 02:23 PM   #4
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

I don't have an MHD wifi adapter but I have a Thor adapter (which I think is a very similar device) and the Thor adapter works fine with BMW standard tools and ISTA.

It requires the installation of a different api32.dll file and a new configuration file for that dll. I've attached copies of those files as a zip.

Both files should be copied to the EDIABAS/bin directory. Note that for typical BMW standard tools installations that is C:/EDIABAS/bin and for typical ISTA installations that is C:\Program Files (x86)\Rheingold\Ediabas\BIN. Rename the original api32.dll to something else so you can easily restore it later if you want to. You can't hurt anything doing this.

The ediabas.config file is an XML with the following content:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>
<appSettings>
<add key="Interface" value="STD:OBD"/>
<add key="ObdComPort" value="DEEPOBDWIFI"/>
<add key="ObdKeepConnectionOpen" value="0"/>
</appSettings>
</configuration>

You'll need to edit DEEPOBDWIFI to whatever network name appears on your laptop when your adapter is plugged into your vehicles OBDII port. My understanding is it will be MHD_XXXX where XXXX is four random letters/numbers.

Whether this works or not will depend on how different the MHD adapter is from the Thor adapter. Again, I'm not 100% sure this works but if you've got the MHD adapter and want to have a wireless avenue for diagnostics, it's worth a try.

If you want to read more about the api32.dll and ediabas start here: https://github.com/uholeschak/ediabaslib

Finally, if you want a KDCAN cable, I'll second @Welcome to NBA Jam and recommend the BimmerGeeks Pro cable. It is a high quality and correctly engineered device and it's only $45. Ebay cables will brick certain modules during programming, for example they will destroy an MSS60 DME. To be sure, it's not an issue if you're only doing coding or diagnostics.
Attached Files
File Type: zip EdiabasLib.zip (305.7 KB, 539 views)

Last edited by dpaul; 12-30-2021 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2023, 06:06 AM   #5
maszter
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 335xd (built from 330xd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
I don't have an MHD wifi adapter but I have a Thor adapter (which I think is a very similar device) and the Thor adapter works fine with BMW standard tools and ISTA.

It requires the installation of a different api32.dll file and a new configuration file for that dll. I've attached copies of those files as a zip.

Both files should be copied to the EDIABAS/bin directory. Note that for typical BMW standard tools installations that is C:/EDIABAS/bin and for typical ISTA installations that is C:\Program Files (x86)\Rheingold\Ediabas\BIN. Rename the original api32.dll to something else so you can easily restore it later if you want to. You can't hurt anything doing this.

<configuration>
<appSettings>
</appSettings>
</configuration>

You'll need to edit DEEPOBDWIFI to whatever network name appears on your laptop when your adapter is plugged into your vehicles OBDII port. My understanding is it will be MHD_XXXX where XXXX is four random letters/numbers.

Whether this works or not will depend on how different the MHD adapter is from the Thor adapter. Again, I'm not 100% sure this works but if you've got the MHD adapter and want to have a wireless avenue for diagnostics, it's worth a try.

If you want to read more about the api32.dll and ediabas start here: https://github.com/uholeschak/ediabaslib

Finally, if you want a KDCAN cable, I'll second @Welcome to NBA Jam and recommend the BimmerGeeks Pro cable. It is a high quality and correctly engineered device and it's only $45. Ebay cables will brick certain modules during programming, for example they will destroy an MSS60 DME. To be sure, it's not an issue if you're only doing coding or diagnostics.
I can confirm that the modified dlls works with the new red MHD Universal adapters. I especially asked MHD if it works the same way as thor with Ediabas, before I bought mine and their reply was: "Yes, MHD UNIVERSAL will work in a similar way with modified Ediabas libs (for CAN and KLINE modes). As for ENET - switching Ediabas to ENET in a usual way will let you work with MHD Universal just like if it was an ENET cable, fully compatible."
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 03:12 PM   #6
Dobiwallah
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91, 2000 Z3 2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by maszter View Post
I can confirm that the modified dlls works with the new red MHD Universal adapters. I especially asked MHD if it works the same way as thor with Ediabas, before I bought mine and their reply was: "Yes, MHD UNIVERSAL will work in a similar way with modified Ediabas libs (for CAN and KLINE modes). As for ENET - switching Ediabas to ENET in a usual way will let you work with MHD Universal just like if it was an ENET cable, fully compatible."
I can't get my red MHD dongel to work wit the instructions above. Did you do something different?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2023, 03:38 PM   #7
misiumesiu
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post

<configuration>
<appSettings>
</appSettings>
</configuration>

I have a problem using this method.I'm trying with the mhd adapter - inpa doesn't see the adapter. Are any drivers required to do it this way?
Appreciate 0