Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 2011 e90 sedan wheel alignment

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-17-2015, 01:58 PM   #1
Cg335
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i Titanium Silver.

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2011 e90 sedan wheel alignment

Hey guys,

I have a 2011 e90 335i standard with 17'' wheels. I just had a crack in rear left tire that made it lose all pressure and so I got it replaced with a new RF tire at Firestone (quoting me cheapest price for the service, plus I have been there before and I like their work). Anyway, they tried to get me to get a wheel alignment but I declined. This is the image they gave to me. Is this normal, should it be aligned, or am I still OK?

Thanks
Attached Images

12-19-2015, 12:34 AM   #2
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

I wouldn't waste the money on it. Rear camber being on the low side is better for tire wear and that is the only measurement that is "out of spec".
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 01:28 PM   #3
Cg335
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i Titanium Silver.

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
That's what I figured.

Thanks!

So talking specs...I have seen them pretty much everywhere but usually in regards to sport suspension or with 18-20" or with a coupe or a different year where the body style is different. So, do any of those make a difference in factory wheel alignment or are they all the same regardless of year, sport, size, etc?

Thanks
      12-19-2015, 11:06 PM   #4
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cg335 View Post
That's what I figured.

Thanks!

So talking specs...I have seen them pretty much everywhere but usually in regards to sport suspension or with 18-20" or with a coupe or a different year where the body style is different. So, do any of those make a difference in factory wheel alignment or are they all the same regardless of year, sport, size, etc?

Thanks
Toe is most important. Factory alignment calls for a little bit of toe in but it should be close to 0. I have my toe set to 0 which is technically "out of spec".

Camber can vary but less negative will give you more even tire wear.

Caster won't affect tire wear. Positive caster is what makes the wheel want to return to center. More positive caster will increase this effect.
Appreciate 1
      12-19-2015, 11:11 PM   #5
Abax335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
I wouldn't waste the money on it. Rear camber being on the low side is better for tire wear and that is the only measurement that is "out of spec".
Did you miss the fact the front toe is 30 minutes out ? Not only does your front need to be addressed but the rear camber effects rear toe and rear toe effects the measurement of front toe. The 30* and 10* isn't out of 100. It's out of 60. So you have half a degree of toe on your left front. That's bad

Your steering wheel isn't centered based on those specs OP. Most likely you are counter steering by holding it to the left to fight the pull to the right.

Toe will wear tires out very quick. It's an investment.

Alignments in the NE I say should be checked/done twice a year.

Just do it
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 08:38 PM   #6
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abax335 View Post
Did you miss the fact the front toe is 30 minutes out ? Not only does your front need to be addressed but the rear camber effects rear toe and rear toe effects the measurement of front toe. The 30* and 10* isn't out of 100. It's out of 60. So you have half a degree of toe on your left front. That's bad

Your steering wheel isn't centered based on those specs OP. Most likely you are counter steering by holding it to the left to fight the pull to the right.

Toe will wear tires out very quick. It's an investment.

Alignments in the NE I say should be checked/done twice a year.

Just do it
Look at the total toe. They just had the steering wheel turned slightly to the right.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 06:50 AM   #7
Abax335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Look at the total toe. They just had the steering wheel turned slightly to the right.
Total toe is just the total from left and right. That more likely is a straight steering wheel with a bad wheel alignment.

I have never in my time doing this or training guys ever see someone measure and provide a read out of a vehicles alignment with a steering wheel turned.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 07:04 AM   #8
trixdout
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi 6mt

Like others have said, toe is your most important. That is what causes the wear on the inside edge of the tire if its in BMW's spec. Keep it as close to if not at 0
      12-22-2015, 07:27 PM   #9
bmw325i
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abax335 View Post
Total toe is just the total from left and right. That more likely is a straight steering wheel with a bad wheel alignment.

I have never in my time doing this or training guys ever see someone measure and provide a read out of a vehicles alignment with a steering wheel turned.
Total toe tells you if the wheels are rolling parallel to each other. Maybe you are right and the steering wheel is a little crooked when going straight down the road. If that is the case OP should know. Either way the steering wheel being crooked wouldn't affect tire wear.

Its also possible that they didn't have the steering wheel exactly centered when checking it. I know when I got my last alignment the toe changed after they moved the car and rechecked it. They told me something similar and had to mess with the steering wheel to get each side to 0 out.

Its up to the OP if he wants to get it aligned just to do it anyways but my opinion is its not needed in this case.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 08:15 PM   #10
Abax335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Total toe tells you if the wheels are rolling parallel to each other. Maybe you are right and the steering wheel is a little crooked when going straight down the road. If that is the case OP should know. Either way the steering wheel being crooked wouldn't affect tire wear.

Its also possible that they didn't have the steering wheel exactly centered when checking it. I know when I got my last alignment the toe changed after they moved the car and rechecked it. They told me something similar and had to mess with the steering wheel to get each side to 0 out.

Its up to the OP if he wants to get it aligned just to do it anyways but my opinion is its not needed in this case.
Even if the wheel was just turned when it is centered it will still be 20 minutes off on the one side which is out of spec enough to wear tires. I've seen much less do more damage to tires.
Appreciate 1
      12-22-2015, 08:16 PM   #11
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

They do have a lifetime alignment for $200 and there's usually a 10% coupon floating around.