Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > ZSP Package eats rear tires. Rear inner wear normal?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-08-2020, 11:34 AM   #1
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010

Question ZSP Package eats rear tires. Rear inner wear normal?

It feels like I am buying tires every 2 years for this car. Initially I ran Michelin pilot sports but those only had 30k mileage warranty, staggered setup so 15k. Those would not even go 2 years. Then I switched to Yokohama ADVAN Sport A/S+ that are a 55k mile tire, 27.5k staggered and those made it about 2 1/2 years maybe close to 3. I do not drive much and those tires prob only had 20k on them. I had hope to get 4 years and closer to 30k out of those tires. However, when I got my highly discounted oil change from the dealer they did an inspection and both rear tires had a bald strip about inch, inch half on the inner section.

The thing is I always get a new alignment with tires because I have lifetime alignment. I know Firestone might not be the best but this last time I had a small shop that only does alignments. The alignment feels dead straight to me when it was first done and the alignment still feels good to this day. Am I just not getting good alignments or is it just the nature of negative camber?

Lastly, my car seems to always shimmy a tad here and there. Its very sensitive to road condition and some roads seem to just transmit a shimmy to my steering wheel. Even smooth paved ones. Mechanics have checked out the suspension parts and they all say everything is fine. The car is over 150k and I am surprised nothing in the rear is shot but they say its fine.

I did replace the rear with Koni orange sports. I just put the car on ramps and bolted everything down. Those shocks wouldn't cause weird wear would it?

While we are at it what tires should I get? I don't need winter tires but looking for comfortable highway ride. These are the three tires I am looking at.

Hankook Ventus V12 evo2 K120

Continental DWS06

Continental ExtremeContact Sport
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 05:20 PM   #2
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

No it's not normal.

Also, it doesn't matter how straight your car tracks...alignments arent "one size fits all" ... especially with respect to "factory specs."

You'll need to establish a consistent baseline and tweak from there. If you're still wearing on the inside, dial in more toe-in until it disappears.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 10:09 PM   #3
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

This sounds like toe wear, not camber. Do you have a pic of the tires?

Out of the 3 you listed I only have experience with the V12's which I believe to be the softest as well at 320tw. I think one of the continentals you listed is a 560tw which would be more suited to your needs of lasting longer.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2020, 07:46 AM   #4
BravoJohny33
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
This sounds like toe wear, not camber. Do you have a pic of the tires?

Out of the 3 you listed I only have experience with the V12's which I believe to be the softest as well at 320tw. I think one of the continentals you listed is a 560tw which would be more suited to your needs of lasting longer.
Yeah tire attachment. You really think it is just an alignment issue and not something wrong with suspension? I have always had this minor shimmy which I believe might have happened after I hit a bad pot hole. Multiple mechanics have said my suspension is fine. Do the rear control arms ever go bad? I am over 150k and everyone is saying everything still looks good.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 07:24 AM   #5
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoJohny33 View Post
Yeah tire attachment. You really think it is just an alignment issue and not something wrong with suspension?
Well considering that the pic you posted is awful, I'm going to assume the the wear is at least even all the way around, correct? If so, then yes, this more than likely an issue that just an alignment will fix.

Even if the bushings are worn a normal amount, they won't wear any different given that all that will change is dynamic toe...you just run more static toe-in to account for this.

Unless their is weird cupping and/or uneven/choppy wear, the suspension components probably aren't the problem. Although, as always, a refresh (with upgrades) is never a bad idea.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 01:54 PM   #6
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Rear control arms do go bad (anything with a rubber bushing eventually will), and at 150k their condition is questionable at best.

If your alignment comes out all green your issue is in the dynamic toe as FCobra said, the car is not holding the static alignment specs while driving, causing uneven wear due to incorrect toe.

If you're having a minor shimmy after a pothole, and having issues with uneven tire wear, I'd say that's two signs that point to bad rubber bushings in the rear
Appreciate 1