E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Smoke? coming from driver side fender well

02-23-2019, 02:19 PM   #1
jt86tn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is

Smoke? coming from driver side fender well

Hey guys, I've got a 2011 335is with about 70k on it. When I bought it VCG needed to be replaced (surprise surprise) which was done. Before the VCG was replaced, there was light smoke coming from under the hood but has not been present since it was fixed. Ive got the parts to do the OFHG and plan on doing that tomorrow. A couple of months ago I was sitting in a drive thru line and noticed what looked like smoke coming from the front driver side fender from in front of the tire. About the time I started to really notice it, the line began to move and as I pulled up I didn't notice it anymore so I thought maybe it had just been coming from the exhaust of the car in front of me. Fast forward to today, once again sitting at a drive thru, this time at the window with no car in front of me and I notice it again. At one point it got pretty noticeable and it was definitely coming from that front driver side fender well from in front of the tire (where the vent is). It's white, looks basically just like what comes out of the exhaust at idle and I don't know if it has any kind of odor because my sinuses are stopped up pretty badly so I can't smell very well at the moment. A minute or two later, as I waited for my food, it just stopped. From what I understand the "smoke" from the exhaust is just water vapor and as stated it looks the same as this. Could this be some kind of water vapor, or is it oil or something else?

This is only the second time I've noticed this and both times it was raining (just fyi). A couple of months ago out of nowhere I got a warning light for low coolant. I topped it off (didn't take much) and haven't had any low coolant since and there never was any leaks on the concrete anywhere? It definitely uses some oil, as indicated by the level in the computer system but from what I understand that's pretty much normal for this engine. Any ideas on what this "smoke" might be? Sorry for the long post but I wanted to try and include as much info as I could to help diagnose this issue. Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 02:58 PM   #2
PortDover335xi
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt86tn View Post
Hey guys, I've got a 2011 335is with about 70k on it. When I bought it VCG needed to be replaced (surprise surprise) which was done. Before the VCG was replaced, there was light smoke coming from under the hood but has not been present since it was fixed. Ive got the parts to do the OFHG and plan on doing that tomorrow. A couple of months ago I was sitting in a drive thru line and noticed what looked like smoke coming from the front driver side fender from in front of the tire. About the time I started to really notice it, the line began to move and as I pulled up I didn't notice it anymore so I thought maybe it had just been coming from the exhaust of the car in front of me. Fast forward to today, once again sitting at a drive thru, this time at the window with no car in front of me and I notice it again. At one point it got pretty noticeable and it was definitely coming from that front driver side fender well from in front of the tire (where the vent is). It's white, looks basically just like what comes out of the exhaust at idle and I don't know if it has any kind of odor because my sinuses are stopped up pretty badly so I can't smell very well at the moment. A minute or two later, as I waited for my food, it just stopped. From what I understand the "smoke" from the exhaust is just water vapor and as stated it looks the same as this. Could this be some kind of water vapor, or is it oil or something else?

This is only the second time I've noticed this and both times it was raining (just fyi). A couple of months ago out of nowhere I got a warning light for low coolant. I topped it off (didn't take much) and haven't had any low coolant since and there never was any leaks on the concrete anywhere? It definitely uses some oil, as indicated by the level in the computer system but from what I understand that's pretty much normal for this engine. Any ideas on what this "smoke" might be? Sorry for the long post but I wanted to try and include as much info as I could to help diagnose this issue. Thanks guys.
I'm in the same boat, last night and this morning at a drive thru I noticed the same thing but coming from the front on the passenger side. Popped the hood when I got home but just saw what looked like steam coming from the upper rad. It was dark and I had a cell phone light so I could not see where it was coming from exactly. No leaks on the ground, it has been parked all day. It's got to be coolant I would think.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 07:00 PM   #3
jt86tn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortDover335xi View Post
I'm in the same boat, last night and this morning at a drive thru I noticed the same thing but coming from the front on the passenger side. Popped the hood when I got home but just saw what looked like steam coming from the upper rad. It was dark and I had a cell phone light so I could not see where it was coming from exactly. No leaks on the ground, it has been parked all day. It's got to be coolant I would think.
Just curious, but was it raining both times when it happened to you? Both times it happened with my car the "smoke" didn't last very long, it just suddenly stopped so by the time I got home there was nothing to see. I got a new o-ring for the coolant hose for when I do the OFHG. If it is coolant related, it would be cool if that had something to do with it and fixed the issue. I'm sure I couldn't be that lucky though lol. It's odd that we're getting it from different sides. Hopefully someone here is familiar with whatever this could be.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 07:16 PM   #4
PortDover335xi
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Just curious, but was it raining both times when it happened to you? Both times it happened with my car the "smoke" didn't last very long, it just suddenly stopped so by the time I got home there was nothing to see. I got a new o-ring for the coolant hose for when I do the OFHG. If it is coolant related, it would be cool if that had something to do with it and fixed the issue. I'm sure I couldn't be that lucky though lol. It's odd that we're getting it from different sides. Hopefully someone here is familiar with whatever this could be.
I took a big whiff when I got gas tonight, I could smell a very light coolant smell. I was stopped at a red light for a few minutes and I could see the smoke/steam starting to waft out from the hood at the front. Luckily for me the dealer I got the car from is going to fix that and the check engine light that came on when I drove it home from the dealer lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 07:20 PM   #5
jt86tn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I took a big whiff when I got gas tonight, I could smell a very light coolant smell. I was stopped at a red light for a few minutes and I could see the smoke/steam starting to waft out from the hood at the front. Luckily for me the dealer I got the car from is going to fix that and the check engine light that came on when I drove it home from the dealer lol.
Nice, that's good. I wonder where your leak is coming from exactly?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 09:21 PM   #6
PortDover335xi
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Nice, that's good. I wonder where your leak is coming from exactly?
I'm not really sure, I was hoping to find owners with similar problems and what they did to fix it. If it's still smoking at the dealership I'll let you know what they find if anything
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 10:25 PM   #7
jt86tn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I'm not really sure, I was hoping to find owners with similar problems and what they did to fix it. If it's still smoking at the dealership I'll let you know what they find if anything
Yeah, I thought someone might have some insight, especially with it coming specifically from the fender well. I'm doing the OFHG tomorrow so I'll be replacing that o-ring on the coolant hose. Maybe these things will take care of it, we'll see. I'm also doing oil change, spark plugs and PCV valve to get ready for mods. Hopefully all I'll have left other than those things is walnut blast and OCC and I'll be ready to put some more power to the pavement.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 06:10 AM   #8
PortDover335xi
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, I thought someone might have some insight, especially with it coming specifically from the fender well. I'm doing the OFHG tomorrow so I'll be replacing that o-ring on the coolant hose. Maybe these things will take care of it, we'll see. I'm also doing oil change, spark plugs and PCV valve to get ready for mods. Hopefully all I'll have left other than those things is walnut blast and OCC and I'll be ready to put some more power to the pavement.
So just did some research, I think the coolant tank expansion hose could be the culprit. I don't know how to post videos from YouTube on here from my phone but if you search for BMW Fanatic he posts a video for coolant leak failures and it's a short little video showing where I think my leak is. Yours could be the same. Hope this helps

Edit: part is $50 on ecstuning.com
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 12:43 PM   #9
jt86tn
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
So just did some research, I think the coolant tank expansion hose could be the culprit. I don't know how to post videos from YouTube on here from my phone but if you search for BMW Fanatic he posts a video for coolant leak failures and it's a short little video showing where I think my leak is. Yours could be the same. Hope this helps

Edit: part is $50 on ecstuning.com
Awesome thanks man, I'm gonna check it out.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 07:59 PM   #10
P-rex
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black 335is DCT

Reviving this thread… having the same issue and noticeable in the rain and when dry.
Smoke is coming out from the driver wheel well and front brake duct area. It’s not visible when I lift the hood.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0