E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Very safe, ideally OTS, tunes for low mileage n54s

02-18-2024, 07:08 PM   #1
Jonas.Steffen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 2012 328i xDrive

Very safe, ideally OTS, tunes for low mileage n54s

TLDR: is MHD stage 1 or similar tune relatively harmless for the powertrain on auto 335 (58k grandma car) with old injectors (index 10? Didn’t confirm personally yet)
Or should I wait to move on from stock tune until I get my index 12s and other bolt ons from my old n54 onto this one

I just got a 08 335 auto that’s stock 58k miles and pretty mint and I’m wondering how to build this one. It’s replacing a 09 335 I had a bad crash with. The last n54 had intake, DPs, index 12s, and was prolly running mhd stage 2 or something like it when I got it. I ran it on mhd 1+ OTS or stock tune while I sorted out issues and got the engine healthy. And 2 weeks after no ses light, bang some ford escape t-bones me 😞

I plan to get the wreck or at least the injectors from insurance still, but my question is what would you guys run in terms of a tune to minimally affect powertrain longevity while still getting some modest gains over stock.
Im happy with sub 400hp until I get around to swapping injectors and other parts and properly building this car. But I don’t want to cause myself more maintenance headaches before then because I got impatient to throw a light tune on it. What maintenance intervals might be affected by say MHD stage 1? I’ve got extra coils on hand still, but would a light tune like that affect lifespan of the water pump, oil filter housing gasket, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, lpfp etc? All these little things I want to enjoy some time without worrying about now that I finally have my hands on such an unmolested n54.

I plan to do a ATF flush or whatever with a reputable shop more or less asap. But I don’t want to do a bunch of wrenching on it for a few thousand miles probably. I do all the other wrenching myself but I hear it’s a pretty sensitive process and I want this tranny to last. I’m excited to have a
a new enough ZF to do a flush before the metal flake and crap in there builds up too much. I’d be happy to hear any recommendation of shops in the Portland area too, never had good experiences with mechanics in the past but I’d love to find one who had in depth and specific knowledge and experience with the n54.

Thanks in advance for your ideas I’ve been lurking on this forum for 100s of hours a year for years, using old posts to get me through my builds. Haven’t posted myself since I had a n52 e92 way back when. I posted on a Facebook group too but I’m counting on the forum to come through better for me as it always has. Let me know though if this is a dumb place to post this, or if there are better sub threads or whatever, like I said I’ve basically never actually posted something here
Appreciate 0