E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Engine died. Need fault code interpretation help

04-22-2023, 10:50 AM   #1
MtBMW73
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92

Engine died. Need fault code interpretation help

2013 E92 N55 335i x-Drive, 81K miles. Has been running fine until today when it died in a Home Depot parking lot as I was leaving. Was waiting to turn, and the engine suddenly stumbled and stalled. Got a "Check Engine" symbol on the center of the instrument cluster (the picture of an engine). I tried to restart, and the engine started but idled rough and died again. Got it going again and slowly backed up into the parking lot. Called roadside and had the car towed home.

I have a JB4 tune. A few miles earlier in my trip, the cluster reset (i.e. gauge needles dropped and then wound around to max, hazard lights blinked) but no noticeable change in performance. "That's odd" I thought at the time but forgot about it until this incident.

I just pulled the codes. Here's what came back:

38A4 Intelligent battery sensor (IBS): Communications fault
38B4 BSD: No message from intelligent battery sensor (IBS)
2C90 Blow-off valve: Jammed closed
CD87 DME, PT-CAN: Communications fault
2C01 High Pressure fuel, plausibility Pressure too low
2EFE Combustion misfires, several cylinders: detected
2EFF Combustion misfire, cylinder 1: detected
2F03 Misfire, Cylinder 5: detected
2F01 Combustion misfire, Cylinder 3: detected
2F04 Misfire, Cylinder 6: detected
2F00 Combustion misfire, Cylinder 2: detected
2EE2 Misfire, several cylinders: damaging exhaust gas after starting up
2EE6 Misfire, Cylinder 1: damaging exhaust gas after starting up
2EF3 Misfire,Cylinder 5: damaging exhaust gas after starting up
2EWC Misfire, Cylinder 3: damaging exhaust gas after starting up
2EF6 Misfire, Cylinder 6: damaging exhaus gas after starting up
2EE9 Misfire, Cylinder 2: damaging exhaust gas after starting up

The engine seems to be running normally now. (Tow truck operator drove it on and off the flatbed.)

Any ideas where to start?

Last edited by MtBMW73; 04-22-2023 at 11:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 11:24 AM   #2
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
I'd remove JB4 and set it back to stock tune to start.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 11:37 AM   #3
MtBMW73
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWYER View Post
I'd remove JB4 and set it back to stock tune to start.
Thanks, yeah, I did that before the tow truck arrived. (Set JB4 to stock.) But then what? Clear all the codes to see if they come back? Wondering what caused this in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 10:28 PM   #4
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBMW73 View Post
2013 E92 N55 335i x-Drive... A few miles earlier in my trip, the cluster reset (i.e. gauge needles dropped and then wound around to max, hazard lights blinked) but no noticeable change in performance...
the codes...:
38A4 Intelligent battery sensor (IBS): Communications fault
38B4 BSD: No message from intelligent battery sensor (IBS)
2C90 Blow-off valve: Jammed closed
CD87 DME, PT-CAN: Communications fault
2C01 High Pressure fuel, plausibility Pressure too low
2EFE Combustion misfires, several cylinders: detected [ALL cylinders except #4]
The engine seems to be running normally now. (Tow truck operator drove it on and off the flatbed.) Any ideas where to start?
I would start by reading Freeze Frame Data (BEFORE you clear any codes which will clear FF Data). That is a Snapshot of system conditions at moment the particular fault code was saved.

You indicate an issue with Instrument Cluster preceded stalling. That is often the result of Over-Voltage (> 16.0V alternator output), or voltage spikes that scramble bus communications between Modules. Three (3) of 5 faults (other than "Misfire faults") are "Message" faults.

If any FF Data shows System Voltage > 16.0V you may simply need to replace the Voltage Regulator in rear of Alternator. Most Scan Tools display system voltage as Live Data, or simply monitoring Voltage at Jumpstart Terminals with motor running using DMM (or Hidden Menu 9.00) will give some clues.

"CD87 DME, PT-CAN: Communications fault" suggests a short-circuit in PT-CAN Bus wiring. Whatever is causing the issue, there appears to be an intermittent "scrambling" of PT-CAN bus signals, interfering with proper DME control of one or more systems, such as injector function.

Perhaps if you can indicate WHAT Diagnostic Software (INPA/ISTA) or Scan Tool (make/model) you have available, someone familiar with that can suggest specific tests, such as monitoring of specific Live Data.
George
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 10:31 AM   #5
MtBMW73
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
I would start by reading Freeze Frame Data (BEFORE you clear any codes which will clear FF Data). That is a Snapshot of system conditions at moment the particular fault code was saved.

You indicate an issue with Instrument Cluster preceded stalling. That is often the result of Over-Voltage (> 16.0V alternator output), or voltage spikes that scramble bus communications between Modules. Three (3) of 5 faults (other than "Misfire faults") are "Message" faults.

If any FF Data shows System Voltage > 16.0V you may simply need to replace the Voltage Regulator in rear of Alternator. Most Scan Tools display system voltage as Live Data, or simply monitoring Voltage at Jumpstart Terminals with motor running using DMM (or Hidden Menu 9.00) will give some clues.

"CD87 DME, PT-CAN: Communications fault" suggests a short-circuit in PT-CAN Bus wiring. Whatever is causing the issue, there appears to be an intermittent "scrambling" of PT-CAN bus signals, interfering with proper DME control of one or more systems, such as injector function.

Perhaps if you can indicate WHAT Diagnostic Software (INPA/ISTA) or Scan Tool (make/model) you have available, someone familiar with that can suggest specific tests, such as monitoring of specific Live Data.
George
Dang, I already cleared the codes yesterday. I drove the car around the block a few times and it seems to be running normally. This is with the JB4 set to the stock program. I opened up the DME box and checked all the JB4 wiring -- seemed intact but cleaned up the two wire taps with contact cleaner and reassembled. I also updated the JB4 firmware to the latest version (which I hadn't done in years - had no reason to really).

If after a few more drives, everything is still OK, I'll switch the JB4 back on and see if the problem comes back.

As far as my scan tool, I am using the Autophix 7910. The JB4 software will also allow monitoring of live data. I usually use the Autophix scanner to read and delete codes, since the JB4 software doesn't have descriptions for a lot of the codes, whereas the Autophix almost always does.

Thanks for the detailed info. Gives me something to go on if this happens again.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 02:31 PM   #6
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBMW73 View Post
Dang, I already cleared the codes yesterday... As far as my scan tool, I am using the Autophix 7910...
My reading of AutoPhix 7910 Manual (paper page 7, pdf p.8) suggests that Scan Tool only Reads, Erases/Clears fault codes, and displays "Datastream" (Live Data I presume). Either INPA or ISTA will display Freeze Frame Data, particularly for DME. The FF Data is retained in DME Fault Memory until the fault code is cleared, but many tools CANNOT display FF Data.

FF Data is particularly helpful when trying to diagnose an "Intermittent" fault. If all you can use is Live Data, you have to "Catch it in the act" which is NOT easy if quite infrequent.

If you have a Windows Laptop, you can use INPA or ISTA for a one-time expense of $30 to $50 for K+DCAN Cable. Read Codes, FF Data, Live Data, Activations of Motors & Solenoids, etc. ISTA is a complete Shop Manual with Wiring diagrams, Repair procedures, Torque Specs, etc. See attached pdf for info.
George
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 1 E9x References.pdf (344.9 KB, 8 views)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2023, 04:22 PM   #7
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Stab in the dark; what's your battery voltage, running and at rest? The IBS codes have me suspicious.
Appreciate 1
      04-23-2023, 05:49 PM   #8
MtBMW73
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Stab in the dark; what's your battery voltage, running and at rest? The IBS codes have me suspicious.
11.79 with ignition off.
14.37-14.41 with engine running.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 02:12 AM   #9
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

11.79 is weak, but 14.4 is spot on. I'd connect to a decent charger for 24h. Seems unlikely that was your issue, but these cars do not like low voltage!
Appreciate 0