E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > n47 judder and miss

02-12-2020, 07:32 AM   #1
Mattsteele318d
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 318d

n47 judder and miss

Hi guys i have a 2009 318d lci n47 114k miles
was on bypass on saturday and opened throttle to give it good run as usually do short journeys, car has had chain replaced approx 8k ago
got to certain speed and car hit a limiter and wouldnt go any quicker, after slowing i tried to accelerate again which caused whole car to shake and judder, i limped to a quiet side road and got recovered, since then been trying to diagnose so far

Cleaned EGR
Pulse tested injectors
Smoothness test ISTA
Swapped injectors around

on ista / inpa only faults i had was EGR and a 3ffo
since cleaning egr and re starting it still misses bad but only codes are 4b10 4b11 smoothness codes
unplugged injectors 1 by 1 and Cylinder4 made no difference all rest did, swapped 4 with 1 but still Cylinder 4 was no difference to idle
smoothness test showed 3 and 4 out of range but 4 was 5.9

im dreading a burnt or broken valve need to compression test but worried of snapping the glow plug

anyone else had this issue or can help

not sure if would make difference that i havent re coded injectors to new cylinders as thought would still follow the injector on rough idle.

was having egr codes pop up for a bit before this but never in limp mode ect

any help appreciated thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 05:53 AM   #2
Dontworry
Rep
Drives: 2010 320i Business edition

when you put your foot down, what happens when your driving, does it feel as if its lost power
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2020, 10:59 AM   #3
Styvy
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 330D LCI

Couple of questions:

1) When you cleaned up egr. Did you also do the inlet manifold?
2) tried unplugging MAF(Mass airflow) see if it makes a difference?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 11:55 AM   #4
Mattsteele318d
Enlisted Member
Rep

As soon as any throttle was applied the hole car just shook so I got recovered rather than trying to drive home.
I cleaned the egr after all the issues but I did try unplugging maf and no change to running but since this have also done a compression check on cylinder 4 not an accurate one but there seems to be no compression
Also I did not clean inlet manifold just egr
Not sure if I have burnt valve or bent valve have no timing codes so don't think chain has slipped and I'm thinking is it possible for carbon build up to dislodge and bend or chip valve or stick something open
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 02:29 PM   #5
Silver Streek
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325d E91

Has it still got swirl flaps fitted?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 04:14 PM   #6
Mattsteele318d
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streek View Post
Has it still got swirl flaps fitted?
No luckily the 318d n47 didn't have them fitted
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 05:05 PM   #7
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Yep, sounds like something is broken in cyl 4. Hopefully a valve, not anything in the bottom end.

Gutted for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 03:08 AM   #8
Mattsteele318d
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Yep, sounds like something is broken in cyl 4. Hopefully a valve, not anything in the bottom end.

Gutted for you.
Yeah I'm gutted sold my old focus st for this as reliable family car had engine out last year June time for timing chain as preventive maintenance now this ha just need to decide weather to keep or sell once it's done and what has caused it shame as its lovely car
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2020, 07:15 AM   #9
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Bummer. My partner's 118d has been good as gold, though I did the chains on it too as preventative maintenance. My 330d always has problems, but nothing that holds it up (glow plugs, a few suspension bushings, etc). They're generally reliable cars, but they tend to put up a fight once you start replacing parts...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 01:22 AM   #10
Mattsteele318d
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Bummer. My partner's 118d has been good as gold, though I did the chains on it too as preventative maintenance. My 330d always has problems, but nothing that holds it up (glow plugs, a few suspension bushings, etc). They're generally reliable cars, but they tend to put up a fight once you start replacing parts...
I'm gutted iv had it 2years now done around 20k and touch wood this was only issue if had other than glow plug module. It maybe due to short journeys I do or maybe even remap. I have a pre lci 330d years back with dpf delete and map to 298bhp 615nm and that never missed a beat only sold due to having new born and boot was a pain so got a zafira vxr... Missed the bm that much I eventually worked my way back to one but opted for 318d as a cheaper runner insurance tax ect hoping I can fix this issue if its just a valve and it will be fine after that... Trouble is il be paranoid what's next. I am half tempted to delete egr and maybe dpf while having work done incase they become issue in the future as I'd like to keep it for few years really
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 01:58 AM   #11
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Most likely the remap, since it'll put more heat and pressure into the cylinders, but even then it seems unlucky. Who did the remap on it?

Yeah, I'm always tempted to map my 330, because 300hp. Just have to keep telling myself that I don't need it. It's not like 230 isn't enough to get from A-B.

Good luck with the repairs! Maybe you could get a bore scope through a glow plug hole to see what's going on, before pulling the head etc?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 03:21 AM   #12
Mattsteele318d
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Most likely the remap, since it'll put more heat and pressure into the cylinders, but even then it seems unlucky. Who did the remap on it?

Yeah, I'm always tempted to map my 330, because 300hp. Just have to keep telling myself that I don't need it. It's not like 230 isn't enough to get from A-B.

Good luck with the repairs! Maybe you could get a bore scope through a glow plug hole to see what's going on, before pulling the head etc?
Yeah I'm thinking that I had local company do it he's done few cars for me and friends ect over the years without issued but you never know. I was hoping it was caused by the egr fault but we shall see. I tried putting borescope down the injector hole but can see 1 valve not much else its not very clear and can't angle it very good it's tad annoying hoping turbo hasn't broken up and gone in there tho

My 330d was very quick after remap and alot better on mpg so to me was a no brainer had local place called midland remap do the map was very very good and strong car is still going now on 180 plus miles
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 02:06 AM   #13
Calc318d
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 318d

I have the same issue, what was the the problem and solution if you don't mind me asking?
Appreciate 0