E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > MHD "take a look at my log" thread

06-30-2021, 05:25 PM   #4885
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoss96 View Post
Hi guys I'm new to this forum & I'm also kind of new to the modifying car scene I'm looking to learn how to read my data logs as I'm having issues with my bmw 135i n54 I am getting CEL & code 29f2. I'm currently running MHD stage 2+ map on 93OCT. I have added a data zap link to my log if anyone could take a look & let me know if it looks good or not it would be greatly appreciated.
https://datazap.me/u/markoss96/log-1...og=0&data=3-22
Hi,

Are you sure it's Stage 2+ ? Cause the log signature does not indicate "v6.1 stage 2 fmic", just "v6.1 stage 2", when i logged stage 2+ v6.1 on mine long time ago, it was signed "v6.1 stage 2 fmic". Any reason to run v6.1 ? You could try to flash V7 or V9, most people are running these, it seems to be the ones that runs better.

Concerning your log, you may tell more about your maintenance, like plugs, coils, injectors, also if you already walnut blasted and mods you are running.

For what i see on your log, your boost is a bit off target by 2-3 psi. Your rail pressure seems to dip too low (problem with HPFP ?) and when you let off your lambda AFRs won't jump to 234, which that may indicate leaking injector(s) problem.

I am not expert, people will tell you probably more about that.

You should log LTFT 1 & 2 too.
      06-30-2021, 06:36 PM   #4886
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio54 View Post
Hey,

I gave a new try to V9 on 91oct (95ron), it's definitely faster than V7 but i get a lot of timing corrections, probably crappy gas? Plugs are almost new, and coils are not so old. But my injectors are maybe not in the best shape...

I like how V9 boost follow target, but a bit concerned with all those corrections.

100-200 on log (9.7sec approx) (too bad i have no dragy device) is not so bad for this fueling, better than V7 on the same (flat) road where it was something like 10.70 or something.

I don't know if i should flash the lowest fuel ACN91/CAD94 map to get rid of corrections ?

I only have access to this crappy 95RON, and no access to E85 or something, the only solution i have is to buy some octane booster but it's not a long term good idea.

Any thing i should be concerned about beside the corrections?

https://datazap.me/u/studio54/log-1625087105?log=0&data=3-22

Thanks
Your previous logs on V9 stage 2+ shows zero corrections on 93oct fuel, its probably the crap 91oct fuel your using currently that's causing most of the corrections.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 08:01 PM   #4887
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saif2018 View Post
Your previous logs on V9 stage 2+ shows zero corrections on 93oct fuel, its probably the crap 91oct fuel your using currently that's causing most of the corrections.
Hehe, the log on 93oct was with 95RON fuel + one or two cans of octane booster, i can't remember exactly, it was some expensive octane booster (octanium from VP Racing if i remember well) that worked good to raise the octane but it's expensive at each tank filling, and it will foul plugs and stuff at long term usage
      06-30-2021, 09:32 PM   #4888
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Hehe, the log on 93oct was with 95RON fuel + one or two cans of octane booster, i can't remember exactly, it was some expensive octane booster (octanium from VP Racing if i remember well) that worked good to raise the octane but it's expensive at each tank filling, and it will foul plugs and stuff at long term usage
Sucks when you don't have 93oct available, I have similar problem with E85 availability
Appreciate 1
studio54202.00
      07-01-2021, 02:41 AM   #4889
Markoss96
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135i n54

Quote:
Hi,

Are you sure it's Stage 2+ ? Cause the log signature does not indicate "v6.1 stage 2 fmic", just "v6.1 stage 2", when i logged stage 2+ v6.1 on mine long time ago, it was signed "v6.1 stage 2 fmic". Any reason to run v6.1 ? You could try to flash V7 or V9, most people are running these, it seems to be the ones that runs better.

Concerning your log, you may tell more about your maintenance, like plugs, coils, injectors, also if you already walnut blasted and mods you are running.

For what i see on your log, your boost is a bit off target by 2-3 psi. Your rail pressure seems to dip too low (problem with HPFP ?) and when you let off your lambda AFRs won't jump to 234, which that may indicate leaking injector(s) problem.

I am not expert, people will tell you probably more about that.

You should log LTFT 1 & 2 too.
Thanks studio54 for your reply

Really sorry I just noticed this was the stage 2 log I changed to see if anything changed with my problems I normally do use v6 stage 2 plus. I will do another log later on stage 2 plus to show you.

I brought the car 4k miles ago & have done the following- changed plugs,coolant flush,valve cover/gasket as for maintenance that is it.

Mod list- MTC intercooler
Turbo smart BOV
MTC hardened boost pipe
pcv delete
N55 Centre pipe
Catch can
Precision race coil packs
Twin plate organic clutch
BMS short shifter

From what I have read the code I'm getting is mostly always linked to the HPFP I'm not sure if this has ever been changed but I know for sure the injectors are index 12. Do you think I should buy some new clips & seals for the injectors & try that? Also I have not had it walnut blasted so maybe I will try that also.

Thanks for your reply I will upload another log later on stage 2 plus shall I try the v7 map?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 03:43 AM   #4890
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Thanks studio54 for your reply

Really sorry I just noticed this was the stage 2 log I changed to see if anything changed with my problems I normally do use v6 stage 2 plus. I will do another log later on stage 2 plus to show you.

I brought the car 4k miles ago & have done the following- changed plugs,coolant flush,valve cover/gasket as for maintenance that is it.

Mod list- MTC intercooler
Turbo smart BOV
MTC hardened boost pipe
pcv delete
N55 Centre pipe
Catch can
Precision race coil packs
Twin plate organic clutch
BMS short shifter

From what I have read the code I'm getting is mostly always linked to the HPFP I'm not sure if this has ever been changed but I know for sure the injectors are index 12. Do you think I should buy some new clips & seals for the injectors & try that? Also I have not had it walnut blasted so maybe I will try that also.

Thanks for your reply I will upload another log later on stage 2 plus shall I try the v7 map?
Yes, you should try V7 and post another log here

Ok, if the code is related to HPFP, and that in your log, the rail pressure dip low, your high pressure pump is probably something to check.

For the AFR problem i mentionned, it probably could be lazy o2 sensors too instead of leaking injectors. There are threads you will find to check if your plug are wet or smell fuel indicating a possible leak. (I have to check mine too btw) For the seals and clips, i honnestly don't know.

I attached a PDF that is shared on this thread, it will help you to read your log.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Interpreting MHD Datalogs.pdf (198.5 KB, 36 views)
      07-01-2021, 04:54 AM   #4891
Markoss96
Rep

Quote:
Yes, you should try V7 and post another log here

Ok, if the code is related to HPFP, and that in your log, the rail pressure dip low, your high pressure pump is probably something to check.

For the AFR problem i mentionned, it probably could be lazy o2 sensors too instead of leaking injectors. There are threads you will find to check if your plug are wet or smell fuel indicating a possible leak. (I have to check mine too btw) For the seals and clips, i honnestly don't know.

I attached a PDF that is shared on this thread, it will help you to read your log.
How would I check my HPFP? Is there a way of logging this on MHD?
Also I will pull my plugs & check them. Thankyou
As for the o2 sensor is there more than 1 on the car? As iv just checked for new parts & it's showing front & rear o2 sensors....

Last edited by Markoss96; 07-01-2021 at 05:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 09:00 AM   #4892
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
How would I check my HPFP? Is there a way of logging this on MHD?
Also I will pull my plugs & check them. Thankyou
As for the o2 sensor is there more than 1 on the car? As iv just checked for new parts & it's showing front & rear o2 sensors....
Yes, you already are logging it, it's the rail pressure psi value (+ your codes reading) that will help you to determine if there is a problem, i don't know if there are way to check it otherwise, some ppl will better reply than me about that sorry. Try and post a log with V7.

And yes, there are two front and two rear o2 sensors. One front and one rear per bank, but before changing them, check your injectors first since it's free to do
      07-01-2021, 03:07 PM   #4893
Markoss96
Rep

Quote:
Yes, you already are logging it, it's the rail pressure psi value (+ your codes reading) that will help you to determine if there is a problem, i don't know if there are way to check it otherwise, some ppl will better reply than me about that sorry. Try and post a log with V7.

And yes, there are two front and two rear o2 sensors. One front and one rear per bank, but before changing them, check your injectors first since it's free to do
Done 2 more logs on mhd v7 stage 2 plus did not go very well....
This is the first one- https://datazap.me/u/markoss96/1st-pull?log=0&data=3-22
I pulled all the way through 3 but had to to ease off straight in to 4th as I caught traffic.

I then tried another pull & maybe 2 seconds in its misfiring & half CEL light come on & the car was running so bad the code was 29DC:cylinder injection cutout. I pulled over as soon as I could cleared the codes & restarted the car & it ran perfect again.
This is the log for the 2nd pull https://datazap.me/u/markoss96/bad?log=0&data=3-22

There is clearly something going on so any help would be great thanks in advance to studio54 & anyone else with input on this.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 06:30 PM   #4894
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I pulled all the way through 3 but had to to ease off straight in to 4th as I caught traffic.

I then tried another pull & maybe 2 seconds in its misfiring & half CEL light come on & the car was running so bad the code was 29DC:cylinder injection cutout. I pulled over as soon as I could cleared the codes & restarted the car & it ran perfect again.
This is the log for the 2nd pull https://datazap.me/u/markoss96/bad?log=0&data=3-22

There is clearly something going on so any help would be great thanks in advance to studio54 & anyone else with input on this.
Your HPFP and LPFP aren't dropping below 1500psi and 50psi respectively, on the 3rd gear log but on the 2nd gear log, HPFP is tanking below 500psi when it's supposed to be 1500psi or above
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 11:41 PM   #4895
HB E90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i Space Gray

Quote:

Your IAT's are climbing fast.
2014 Acura MDX SHAWD wifes

Last edited by HB E90; 07-01-2021 at 11:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 01:31 AM   #4896
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

Do you have long crank issue ?

A quick search about the 29DC shows that it was a HPFP problem for many members.
(And your previous code 29F2 is also related with HPFP).
If you keep an eye on "rail pressure" with a live gauge on MHD while driving, you will find out if the pressure is very low when it goes bad.

As said Saif, it dips again in your 2nd log.

And yep, IAT are climbing a bit fast for a 3rd gear pull but i don't know a lot about the MTC intercooler.
      07-02-2021, 02:45 AM   #4897
Markoss96
Rep

Quote:
Do you have long crank issue ?

A quick search about the 29DC shows that it was a HPFP problem for many members.
(And your previous code 29F2 is also related with HPFP).
If you keep an eye on "rail pressure" with a live gauge on MHD while driving, you will find out if the pressure is very low when it goes bad.

As said Saif, it dips again in your 2nd log.

And yep, IAT are climbing a bit fast for a 3rd gear pull but i don't know a lot about the MTC intercooler.
Firstly thankyou everyone for your replies.

I have no long cranks issues that's what is confusing me.
I will drive around later & watch my rail pressure.

Could a lazy LPFP contribute to this? Or even the sensor?

What should my IAT be reading? Iv never had a issue with overheating etc. The last owner brought this one so I have no real opinion on it. But if you guys don't think it is doing the job maybe that's something else I should look at upgrading. This is all sounding expensive as hell the joys of owning a bmw!����

I will update later with some more Rail pressure figures.

BTW on the 1st log the rail pressure jumps to 2400 at the start & also at the end is this healthy.....
Thanks again guys ����

Last edited by Markoss96; 07-02-2021 at 02:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 02:58 PM   #4898
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Firstly thankyou everyone for your replies.

I have no long cranks issues that's what is confusing me.
I will drive around later & watch my rail pressure.

Could a lazy LPFP contribute to this? Or even the sensor?

What should my IAT be reading? Iv never had a issue with overheating etc. The last owner brought this one so I have no real opinion on it. But if you guys don't think it is doing the job maybe that's something else I should look at upgrading. This is all sounding expensive as hell the joys of owning a bmw!����

I will update later with some more Rail pressure figures.

BTW on the 1st log the rail pressure jumps to 2400 at the start & also at the end is this healthy.....
Thanks again guys ����
A failing LPFP can drag HPFP down, that is true. You need to monitor both.

HPFP 1500psi or more is fine under WOT. At idle it should be around 700 psi.

LPFP should be 50+psi
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 03:12 PM   #4899
Markoss96
Rep

Quote:

LPFP should be 50+psi
So am I right in saying HPFP is rail pressure & LPFP is fuel low pressure sensor psi as indicated on mhd log/datazap.

Correct me if I'm wrong please I'm a noob at this so I'm trying to learn😂

Appreciate the reply Saif2018
Appreciate 1
Dave92N54528.00
      07-02-2021, 03:46 PM   #4900
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:

LPFP should be 50+psi
So am I right in saying HPFP is rail pressure & LPFP is fuel low pressure sensor psi as indicated on mhd log/datazap.

Correct me if I'm wrong please I'm a noob at this so I'm trying to learn😂

Appreciate the reply Saif2018
This is correct, rail pressure is essentially pressure from the HPFP, and the fuel low pressure sensor is the LPFP pressure (though, the low pressure actually gets read by a sensor under the hood so it's more like pressure right before the HPFP. There is a fuel pressure regulator between the low pressure pump and the hpfp, it's found under the rear driver's side seat in the fuel tank).
      07-02-2021, 04:13 PM   #4901
Markoss96
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92N54 View Post
This is correct, rail pressure is essentially pressure from the HPFP, and the fuel low pressure sensor is the LPFP pressure (though, the low pressure actually gets read by a sensor under the hood so it's more like pressure right before the HPFP. There is a fuel pressure regulator between the low pressure pump and the hpfp, it's found under the rear driver's side seat in the fuel tank).
Cheers dave92N54 for the info

So all being said has anyone got opinions on where I should start?
Should I do a few more logs & get some more data regarding HPFP & LPFP also HB e90 said about my IAT'S being high is this something i should also keep a eye on? I was researching on IAT'S earlier & mine seem pretty safe as the highest mine went on either log was 113f. I must add i let the car warm up first & them done my pulls/logs I'm not sure if that means anything.

Iv also got new injector clips & seals coming as I don't think they have been changed. I will also look for leaks while pulling injectors.

But if anyone has anymore input on this would be appreciated.

I will update tomorrow with another data log & some more data from HPFP & LPFP
Appreciate 1
Dave92N54528.00
      07-02-2021, 07:26 PM   #4902
HB E90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i Space Gray

Quote:
Cheers dave92N54 for the info

So all being said has anyone got opinions on where I should start?
Should I do a few more logs & get some more data regarding HPFP & LPFP also HB e90 said about my IAT'S being high is this something i should also keep a eye on? I was researching on IAT'S earlier & mine seem pretty safe as the highest mine went on either log was 113f. I must add i let the car warm up first & them done my pulls/logs I'm not sure if that means anything.

Iv also got new injector clips & seals coming as I don't think they have been changed. I will also look for leaks while pulling injectors.

But if anyone has anymore input on this would be appreciated.

I will update tomorrow with another data log & some more data from HPFP & LPFP
Its not that your IAT's are that high. It's that they climb quite a lot from the start of the pull to the end of the pull. If you have a good efficient intercooler they shouldn't climb too much on a 3rd gear pull. When I started tuning I had the stock IC and I saw it climb worse than yours but your IAT climbs more then it should with an upgraded IC. Here's a log on a 3rd gear pull I did recently for comparison.
https://datazap.me/u/curt/back-90-2-...data=3-5-15-22
2014 Acura MDX SHAWD wifes

Last edited by HB E90; 07-02-2021 at 11:46 PM..
Appreciate 1
studio54202.00
      07-03-2021, 05:21 AM   #4903
hioctane90
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92N54 View Post
That's definitely an interesting one. Please quote this if it ever goes back down again, really curious about this tbh.
Sorry about the delay, I've been out of town for a bit. So what I'm assuming is happening is the EKPM is just getting hot due to the lpfp upgrade and not being able to consistently keep up with the demand. After driving for longer periods of time the lpfp will drop and once I turn the car off and the EKPM has a chance to cool off the lpfp will shoot back up. I'm gonna look into some fixes for this but I finally get some new logs up however I'm having a hard time getting the car to get remotely close to the target boost and she is a bit sluggish building. I'm going to do another boost leak test today but I've replaced every vacuum line and both solenoids since it was all old and crusty anyways and I've test the wastegates to make sure they are closing all the way. I'll upload the most current log if someone wants to take a look.

https://datazap.me/u/hioctane90/log-1625307604?log=0&data=3-22
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 08:45 AM   #4904
Markoss96
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB E90 View Post
Its not that your IAT's are that high. It's that they climb quite a lot from the start of the pull to the end of the pull. If you have a good efficient intercooler they shouldn't climb too much on a 3rd gear pull. When I started tuning I had the stock IC and I saw it climb worse than yours but your IAT climbs more then it should with an upgraded IC. Here's a log on a 3rd gear pull I did recently for comparison.
https://datazap.me/u/curt/back-90-2-...data=3-5-15-22
Thanks EB E90 I see exactly what your saying now. Do you have any recommendations for good Fmics? Iv been looking at a Forge one since the conversation about IAT's came up.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 06:50 PM   #4905
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep

When i think i have some injectors problem and my car is burbling too much, it sounds exactly like that without MHD burbles like the guy in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvxp5xlptOk

Is it normal or not? my car has no downpipe cats, and no secondary cats, but it still have a BMW PE silencer at the end. But it burbles crazy....
      07-04-2021, 10:11 PM   #4906
gster109
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i e90

https://datazap.me/u/gster/4th-gear-log

4th gear pull

Concerned with the HPFP pressure dropping as the RPM's climb, anyone have input?

Thanks in adavance.
Appreciate 0