E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > X5 35d check engine light code 4BD4

01-01-2017, 10:15 PM   #1
blue335xi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

X5 35d check engine light code 4BD4

I have check engine light on twice in 7 days both times i have erased it and after driving about 2 days comes back.
I cant seem to find anything related to this code, i did google translate and it says injector cylinder #5 activation.
Does this mean its bad or dirty injector.

DME/DD
4BD4 injektor zylinder 5, ansteuerung, fehler momentan nicht vorhanden, aber bereits gespeichert
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 11:24 PM   #2
ninja_zx11
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5 diesel 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue335xi View Post
I have check engine light on twice in 7 days both times i have erased it and after driving about 2 days comes back.
I cant seem to find anything related to this code, i did google translate and it says injector cylinder #5 activation.
Does this mean its bad or dirty injector.

DME/DD
4BD4 injektor zylinder 5, ansteuerung, fehler momentan nicht vorhanden, aber bereits gespeichert
It could be a cracked engine partition that is leaking water onto the injector and shorting it out.Very common problem on X5 35Ds
Here is the thread you can get some info from.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 09:27 AM   #3
blue335xi
Captain
United_States
Rep

ninja_zx11 thank you for the provided info,
both of my partitions are broken and the middle piece is not looking good it looks like is lifted up and allowing water to go between partitions.
I removed the engine cover, air box and the foam insulator and I can see the fuel rail on injector #5 is corroded which tells me water was there.
And the first time i got the check engine light it was raining heavily all night.

Im going to patch the partitions till i get the new ones ordered.

I will try to get ohm resistance readings from injectors Today not shore if i can get those connectors off before manifold removal.
If manifold needs to be removed then i will probably remove all injectors and take them apart for cleaning, if some found to be out of specs will order new ones, while im there i will probably clean some carbon build up if is present.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 09:52 PM   #4
ninja_zx11
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
ninja_zx11 thank you for the provided info,
both of my partitions are broken and the middle piece is not looking good it looks like is lifted up and allowing water to go between partitions.
I removed the engine cover, air box and the foam insulator and I can see the fuel rail on injector #5 is corroded which tells me water was there.
And the first time i got the check engine light it was raining heavily all night.

Im going to patch the partitions till i get the new ones ordered.

I will try to get ohm resistance readings from injectors Today not shore if i can get those connectors off before manifold removal.
If manifold needs to be removed then i will probably remove all injectors and take them apart for cleaning, if some found to be out of specs will order new ones, while im there i will probably clean some carbon build up if is present.
Glad you found the root cause.Try to dry it up and remove the foam insulator for now until you install the new part because foam absorbs lots of moisture.Hope fully your injector is not damaged due to moisture entering its power socket.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 09:00 PM   #5
blue335xi
Captain
United_States
Rep

I finally got some time off and started to work on the car the injector 5 was bad the ohm reading was around 140 and it took some time to get there, injector replaced, all others injectors ware about 180. I took injector nozzles apart and cleaned them in carb cleaner, also i did clean all carbon build up on swirls flaps, intake manifold, egr.

The bad news is car wont start, it started 2 times for a 5 seconds and it died.
I read somewhere that the air needs to be bleed out the fuel system so i used ista to bleed the system 2 times but it didn't help no start.
I cranked open the fuel rails on injectors and very little fuel is coming out when engine is cranked, it looks like the HPFP does not have enough fuel to build the pressure needed. Tomorrow I will try to bleed the system few times again.

If you have any suggestions please let me know.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2017, 09:21 PM   #6
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Air pockets beyond the fuel rail might not be easily bled if system closed. No first hand knowledge but recall someone opening up the short tubes between rail and injector and running lift pump. I would do them with only one open at a time. I would rather injector savvy type chime in though.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 09:52 AM   #7
blue335xi
Captain
United_States
Rep

I still cant get the air out the system I can see air bubbles in the clear hose that is connected to the HPFP Im not shore what is going on with this as i can here fuel pump priming but its not pushing fuel to injectors.

I also discovered that from disconnecting battery for few Days and reconnecting it back it fried my FRM will bad FRM cause car not to start Im trying to figure this out if i should order new FRM or continue to try bleed the system and start the car.

Thanks for suggestions,,
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 09:53 AM   #8
blue335xi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Air pockets beyond the fuel rail might not be easily bled if system closed. No first hand knowledge but recall someone opening up the short tubes between rail and injector and running lift pump. I would do them with only one open at a time. I would rather injector savvy type chime in though.
I will try to use outboard priming bulb to see if i can pull some air out. thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 10:30 AM   #9
montr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2018 430i G-Coupe

For the 335d, there is an extended warranty on the FRM
http://www.bmw-rp.com/production/isg...bmw_portal.nsf
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 11:24 AM   #10
ninja_zx11
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I will try to use outboard priming bulb to see if i can pull some air out. thanks
Check this thread with same problem and how he primed the high pressure fuel lines.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 08:22 PM   #11
blue335xi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by montr View Post
For the 335d, there is an extended warranty on the FRM
http://www.bmw-rp.com/production/isg...bmw_portal.nsf
thanks for letting me know I hope I get the car started to take it to dealer for repair.

Last edited by blue335xi; 01-21-2017 at 08:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 09:22 PM   #12
blue335xi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_zx11 View Post
Check this thread with same problem and how he primed the high pressure fuel lines.

Hi Ninja_zx11 I saw this few days ago but not having much luck.

I spent about half day today trying to prime the pump and got about 4 liters of the diesel fuel bleed trough and the fuel is now moving fast, Ista shows under fuel sensor pressure up to 10 Bar about 145 Psi when cranked but the engine still wont start for some reason that is the highest it gets, But after the car seats for about 2 minutes i can see the air bobbles again in clear hose coming from HPFP so this is telling me air is still in system.

I used to bleed old VW in 5 minutes but this with BMW is pain.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 11:21 PM   #13
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Thought i'll post this in case it may be helpful to figure out why activating the lift pump does not bleed past the HPFP.

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 2679
Size:  288.7 KB

Name:  Capture1.PNG
Views: 2687
Size:  138.7 KB
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 10:20 PM   #14
blue335xi
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well things just didn't make sense with the air bobbles that return back after the air has bin bleed out so I thought there has to be issue past the HPFP and I decided to replace all 6 injectors that I borrowed from friends car installed it bleed the system with Ista hit the start button and it STARTED Immediately runs like new tested it on road no issues.

So yes I messed up from the beginning by taking injectors nozzles apart and cleaning them with carb cleaner and brake cleaner and they ware installed dry and probably stuck open which pulled air from cylinder and that's way dose bobbles always came back,i should have soaked the parts in diesel than put it back together. Also it could be that i didn't know the torque specs and I just tightened them until it wont turn.

I will try to repair injectors but I cant find the torque values for nozzles please if you have any info post it here.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 12:23 PM   #15
bmwdiesel
Private
Rep
Drives: 335d 2007

Quote:
Well things just didn't make sense with the air bobbles that return back after the air has bin bleed out so I thought there has to be issue past the HPFP and I decided to replace all 6 injectors that I borrowed from friends car installed it bleed the system with Ista hit the start button and it STARTED Immediately runs like new tested it on road no issues.

So yes I messed up from the beginning by taking injectors nozzles apart and cleaning them with carb cleaner and brake cleaner and they ware installed dry and probably stuck open which pulled air from cylinder and that's way dose bobbles always came back,i should have soaked the parts in diesel than put it back together. Also it could be that i didn't know the torque specs and I just tightened them until it wont turn.

I will try to repair injectors but I cant find the torque values for nozzles please if you have any info post it here.
have u ever repaired them? I removed them and can't start the car. run fuel bleed several times and nothing. rail pressure 7BAR both before and after fuel bleed
Appreciate 0