E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Need help finding coolant leak please !!!

07-09-2020, 07:09 PM   #1
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 335i

Alright so it just started leaking a few days ago for no apparent reason, but it's a fairly strong leak and will drip the whole reservoir dry over night. I went in today and removed all the hoses attached to the water pump and thermostat and then reseated and retightened them to no avail, anyone have any ideas as to what could leak onto the water pump from above ? Or any suggestions on how to trace it ? If you zoom in you can see the drops right below the plug and they run down from each side of the connector.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 10:39 PM   #2
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyc0 View Post
Alright so it just started leaking a few days ago for no apparent reason, but it's a fairly strong leak and will drip the whole reservoir dry over night. I went in today and removed all the hoses attached to the water pump and thermostat and then reseated and retightened them to no avail, anyone have any ideas as to what could leak onto the water pump from above ? Or any suggestions on how to trace it ? If you zoom in you can see the drops right below the plug and they run down from each side of the connector.
Then you gave an O-ring leak
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 10:41 PM   #3
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
Quote:
Then you gave an O-ring leak
There are no o rings down there unless your talking about turbo coolant lines but it's not leaking from there
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 10:59 PM   #4
djbobbless
pew
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Have you already checked the cylinder head to thermostat hose where the "mickey mouse" flange mounts to the engine? Didn't realize that was leaking from a busted o-ring and it led down eventually to the waterpump considering it goes to the thermostat.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:00 PM   #5
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbobbless View Post
Have you already checked the cylinder head to thermostat hose where the "mickey mouse" flange mounts to the engine? Didn't realize that was leaking from a busted o-ring and it led down eventually to the waterpump considering it goes to the thermostat.
Yes I have I read about this happing to someone else and I was hoping this was it but it's not
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:01 PM   #6
Recoiletiquette
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I

Just a shot in the dark but I've heard about somone that had a hair line crack in the plastic part of the water pump.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:03 PM   #7
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoiletiquette View Post
Just a shot in the dark but I've heard about somone that had a hair line crack in the plastic part of the water pump.
Yeah I heard about this too but my water pump is about 5 thousand miles old so I hope that's not it but I will check tomorrow and update if it is
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:04 PM   #8
djbobbless
pew
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I heard about this too but my water pump is about 5 thousand miles old so I hope that's not it but I will check tomorrow and update if it is
I've seen new oe replacement pumps crack before that. I would assume it's that if you've checked everything else.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:06 PM   #9
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I've seen new oe replacement pumps crack before that. I would assume it's that if you've checked everything else.
Okay I'll make sure and check tomorrow thanks for the input, luckily I bought through fcp so I'll be okay if that's the case but man that would be annoying if it is
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:07 PM   #10
djbobbless
pew
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Okay I'll make sure and check tomorrow thanks for the input, luckily I bought through fcp so I'll be okay if that's the case but man that would be annoying if it is
tell me about it. That pain in the ass upper bolt on the waterpump lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:08 PM   #11
Recoiletiquette
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I

Quote:
Same, ive seen some people talk about braking multiple in a row. i would definitely give it a look at least.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:09 PM   #12
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
tell me about it. That pain in the ass upper bolt on the waterpump lol.
I decided to not reinstall that bolt when I put the new pump in lol, saved me a lot of time today when I was ripping the pump out, got it out in about 20 minutes
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:30 PM   #13
alpnwss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 BMW 335is

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
I *think* that part of the system is not 'wet' when the engine is off. Water does not sit around there. It's only under operation and water flow that you'd have water going through that fitting.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:31 PM   #14
alpnwss
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 BMW 335is

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335is  [0.00]
Did you check the connection from the bottom of the resivoir? Sorry if this has already been said.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 11:40 PM   #15
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpnwss View Post
Quote:
I *think* that part of the system is not 'wet' when the engine is off. Water does not sit around there. It's only under operation and water flow that you'd have water going through that fitting.
Okay I'll make sure to check that
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2020, 11:23 PM   #16
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep

Just an update I found a tiny hole in the U hose and I'm hoping this is the issue, I ordered a new one and I will update again
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 11:02 PM   #17
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep

New hose is on and it's been fine for a few days, still drips but seems to be slower, not sure if the u hose was contributing and making it worse but it still leaks either way. I also ruled out the cylinder head to thermostat hose. If anyone has any other ideas I'd appreciate it. I've taken the water pump out four times now trying to find this leak, tomorrow I will be taking out the thermostat as well and redoing all those connections. I'm open to any ideas at this point
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 01:20 AM   #18
kulxio
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
New hose is on and it's been fine for a few days, still drips but seems to be slower, not sure if the u hose was contributing and making it worse but it still leaks either way. I also ruled out the cylinder head to thermostat hose. If anyone has any other ideas I'd appreciate it. I've taken the water pump out four times now trying to find this leak, tomorrow I will be taking out the thermostat as well and redoing all those connections. I'm open to any ideas at this point
Did you try to pressurize the system with compressed air to help finding the leak?
I have an extra coolant cap that I mounted a nipple in which I always use whenever I've done something with the coolant system to make sure everything is sealed.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 01:22 AM   #19
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulxio View Post
Quote:
Did you try to pressurize the system with compressed air to help finding the leak?
I have an extra coolant cap that I mounted a nipple in which I always use whenever I've done something with the coolant system to make sure everything is sealed.
I understand the idea but how would this make it any easier to find the leak than when it drips normally ?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 08:13 PM   #20
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep

Update

Water pump is cracked with about 8k miles on it, id post pictures but the cracks are so small you can barely see them.

Very similar to this video

Luckily I bought through FCP so I will be reaching out to them for a new one.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 07:27 PM   #21
Tyc0
Lieutenant
Rep

Replaced water pump and looks to be good..so far
Appreciate 0