E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Drag strip!

08-14-2020, 09:01 AM   #1
RoughKnight
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi N54 Auto

Drag strip!

First time to the drag strip, that was fun! Turned the xdrive back on cause everybody said I would hook up better that way. I ran a 12.7 @ 111 as my best run of the night but we were heat soaked before we got to the run so I feel as though theres something there, however...

https://datazap.me/u/roughknight/fir...-9-10-20-28-29

My WDGC is literally MAXED out before 3k rpm. What is going on? It only became like this after we (fixed and) installed the ARM intercooler with the upgraded hoses (you guys need to find the right fucking clamps for your own hoses holy what a waste of two days). Never had logs like that before, after the initial sluggishness it shoots out like a bat outta hell. Everybody said I should be running low 12's, so I'm trying to figure out what to do to get there. I can post the time slips if that helps.

First run was in M mode, second run M mode brake boosted to 1.5k, and my best run was in DS mode at 2k brake boost.
Road to 500hp daily on the way (ya right lol)
--------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 10:39 AM   #2
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

WDGC is probably maxed out because it's trying to build boost as fast as it can, and at lower rpms you don't have as much exhaust flow to spin the turbos. Did the WDGC start coming down after the rpms got up over 4k or so? If so, it's fine.

You should be running low 12's? What mods/tune are you running?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 10:46 AM   #3
RoughKnight
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

ARM DP, CP, 7.5inch intercooler, stage 2+ and xhp. Every race I ran against my buddies n55 with the same mods, he would cross the line before me but I would always get a better time. It felt like he was quicker to the half way mark then my car would just fucking rocket and we would be neck and neck over the line but he was first across the line everytime. Just looking for some advice/tips/what I could be doing better. I'm hoping for an 11 second pass but I have no idea what I have to do to get there.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 10:54 AM   #4
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

I think it's going to take a big single turbo to get you into the 11's.....and all the fueling mods to go with it.

But I'm just guessing.....
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 11:11 AM   #5
Silent9n54
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughKnight View Post
ARM DP, CP, 7.5inch intercooler, stage 2+ and xhp. Every race I ran against my buddies n55 with the same mods, he would cross the line before me but I would always get a better time. It felt like he was quicker to the half way mark then my car would just fucking rocket and we would be neck and neck over the line but he was first across the line everytime. Just looking for some advice/tips/what I could be doing better. I'm hoping for an 11 second pass but I have no idea what I have to do to get there.
All you need is E85 and you will be in the 11s without a problem. It would help if you posted your slip so we can see the 60 foot and 330 foot. Is your friend AWD as well ?? You are shifting below 6000 which is right where you want to be for stock turbos. Again get on that corn juice with a proper E85 map and 11s should be an everyday thing
      08-14-2020, 11:45 AM   #6
Bimmer_Bro
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 335xi LCI

The initial sluggish you feel is due to the 7.5 intercooler. There has been many members who say going to a intercooler that size is going to give you a bit more turbo lag down low, however it’s then great once your moving with some boost. Your waste gates are probably just open a little
Longer now as the boost builds with the bigger intercooler. Just a side effect. I stuck with a 5 inch one for this reason and it has been great.
I have xhp stage 3 as well. Did you try launching in 2nd gear? Next time trying brake boosting, 2nd gear Manual mode. Shift right before 6k.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 11:53 AM   #7
RoughKnight
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent11N54 View Post
Quote:
All you need is E85 and you will be in the 11s without a problem. It would help if you posted your slip so we can see the 60 foot and 330 foot. Is your friend AWD as well ?? You are shifting below 6000 which is right where you want to be for stock turbos. Again get on that corn juice with a proper E85 map and 11s should be an everyday thing
So I'm on the left...he won the race but I wrecked his time

Shifting at 6k-ish but I was starting it first. This slip is the fastest by far and I just had it in DS mode let xhp shift for me
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 12:57 PM   #8
type-dRew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

good lord, that 60ft is awful

how are you launching this thing, thats really bad for an xdrive.

bring it up on power, find some boost and when youre ready to go, put your foot to the floor and count to 1 and let it go

you have 4 tenths in it just from a better launch and youll likely find some mph with that as well. easy 12.3 with a decent launch

if I have a run that starts with a 1.8 60ft I consider it a wasted run. you're almost 2.0. decent launch and ethanol its in the 11s.

do not launch in 2nd, thats a rwd thing to mitigate wheel spin. we dont benefit from it since we can give it full power in first without issue
New setup; Covid 19Ts on RFP 93 + ARM inlets, dp, VTT cp and PSP outlets
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2020, 01:28 PM   #9
RoughKnight
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by type-dRew View Post
good lord, that 60ft is awful

how are you launching this thing, thats really bad for an xdrive.

bring it up on power, find some boost and when youre ready to go, put your foot to the floor and count to 1 and let it go

you have 4 tenths in it just from a better launch and youll likely find some mph with that as well. easy 12.3 with a decent launch

if I have a run that starts with a 1.8 60ft I consider it a wasted run. you're almost 2.0. decent launch and ethanol its in the 11s.

do not launch in 2nd, thats a rwd thing to mitigate wheel spin. we dont benefit from it since we can give it full power in first without issue
First time at the drag lol
I'm running on our jungle juice 94 oct, which is supposedly equivalent to california 91. I've tried a bunch of different ways to launch, maybe I should try a higher brake boost target? 2.5k rpm?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 01:50 PM   #10
type-dRew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
First time at the drag lol
I'm running on our jungle juice 94 oct, which is supposedly equivalent to california 91. I've tried a bunch of different ways to launch, maybe I should try a higher brake boost target? 2.5k rpm?
dont target an rpm, target boost, watch mhd and when you get into boost, put your foot to the floor, it should build between 5-10lbs really quick. count of 1 is usually enough and then let it go

if you arent comfortable flooring it to build boost, part throttle and make at least 4-5lbs but go to the floor right as you are launching it, dont wait until you let off the brake

practice that and itll run a number. octane does limit your launch, but not that much. ive done 1.7x 60fts on pump before.
New setup; Covid 19Ts on RFP 93 + ARM inlets, dp, VTT cp and PSP outlets
Appreciate 1
      08-14-2020, 03:21 PM   #11
RoughKnight
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by type-dRew View Post
dont target an rpm, target boost, watch mhd and when you get into boost, put your foot to the floor, it should build between 5-10lbs really quick. count of 1 is usually enough and then let it go

if you arent comfortable flooring it to build boost, part throttle and make at least 4-5lbs but go to the floor right as you are launching it, dont wait until you let off the brake

practice that and itll run a number. octane does limit your launch, but not that much. ive done 1.7x 60fts on pump before.
ill try that, thanks! I wonder if xHP has a custom launch control thing for the n54. I think it might but I have no idea how to use it
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 03:58 PM   #12
Saif2018
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
ill try that, thanks! I wonder if xHP has a custom launch control thing for the n54. I think it might but I have no idea how to use it
It does, but all it seems to do is limit torque in 1st gear, useful probably in rear wheel drive,

But it shouldn't be necessary with 4 wheel drive.

Launch technique like drew mentioned should make a more significant difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 04:36 PM   #13
Silent9n54
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Bro View Post
The initial sluggish you feel is due to the 7.5 intercooler. There has been many members who say going to a intercooler that size is going to give you a bit more turbo lag down low, however it’s then great once your moving with some boost. Your waste gates are probably just open a little
Longer now as the boost builds with the bigger intercooler. Just a side effect. I stuck with a 5 inch one for this reason and it has been great.
I have xhp stage 3 as well. Did you try launching in 2nd gear? Next time trying brake boosting, 2nd gear Manual mode. Shift right before 6k.
1. 7.5 fmic wont make u have a bad launch, especially in a AWD

2. AWD launch from 1st not 2nd
      08-14-2020, 04:42 PM   #14
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Launch control limits torque.....I would think that with an x-drive, traction isn't an issue...you want as much power to the tires as you can give it.
Appreciate 0