E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Pre LCI Halogen to LCI Halogen - please verify if I have this right?

04-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
Mwishlist
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Pre LCI Halogen to LCI Halogen - please verify if I have this right?

I hate to ask, but after pouring through posts and DIYs for about two hours last night I think I finally understand what to do. I didn't realize OEM LCI was even an option for my 2008 till last night. So now that I have figured that out, here is what I plan on doing:

I currently have a 2008 e90 328i with basic halogens / no angel eyes.
I plan on buying this OEM LCI Halogen Headlights - Set from ECS tuning:
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-328...Lci/ES2538074/

I also plan on buying the Lux Halogens shown here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651035
to replace the stock yellowish with whiter light.

My questions for anyone who has done this or at least upgraded their stock halogens to the lux are as follow:
  • This should be pretty much plug and play, correct?
  • Can I re-use the bulbs from my current halogens for the low and high beams or what other lights would you suggest?
  • What would anyone suggest for the fog lights, just so they match / are closer to the headlights?
  • Anything I am missing?

I don't need xenons and I don't need the car to send off solar flares from the brightness, but I would like the angel eye look to update the car a bit and I would rather it be whiter are opposed to yellow. I don't mind spending the money on the Lux but if there are lesser costing alternatives I am open.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Before I drop $800 on lights, I wanted to make sure I had this straight.
Kimi: Now.

Last edited by Mwishlist; 04-30-2012 at 01:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
Mwishlist
Private First Class
Rep

Bump!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

From what I have read, it should be 100% plug and play with no coding.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
Trooper9009
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 XI coupe M sport

I have done the exact mod and yes they should be Plug and Play . I went with Lux 5.0 AE and bought bright bulbs for headlights and fog lights and repalced them with halogens...Hope this answers your question.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
Mwishlist
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
From what I have read, it should be 100% plug and play with no coding.
That what I think too. I also plan on adding these:
http://www.bimmian.com/WeissLicht-PY...W-E90-3-Series

So it will be sweet angel eyes and led turn signals. I have the weisslicht led smoked sidemarkers.

Only thing left now is trying to figure out what to get for the foglights and if I should upgrade to HID looking halogens for the hi and low beams or just leave all of that stock. I see the GP Thunder stuff is cheap but I haven't looked into it to see if its any good. I just want to get everything, load up the new headlights and install them in one shot, instead of having to change out bulbs later etc. Since I will be pulling the front bumper it will be way easier to knock it out at one time.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #6
Mwishlist
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper9009 View Post
I have done the exact mod and yes they should be Plug and Play . I went with Lux 5.0 AE and bought bright bulbs for headlights and fog lights and repalced them with halogens...Hope this answers your question.
THANK YOU! That is exactly what I was looking for. If you don't mind, what bulbs did you use for the low, highs and fogs?

Also, I don't think I can use the Lux 5 cause I am getting the Valeo headlights, not the ZKWs. But the Lux halogens should work and I can't really see a difference in any photos.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
Trooper9009
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 XI coupe M sport

I think I used GP thunders ..I beleive I used H11 for Fogs and H7 for headlights .
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
_shim
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: an e90

Should all be plug and play.

OP, why don't you look into some MTEC bulbs for the headlights and fogs? The 4350K is pretty white.
      05-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
Mwishlist
Private First Class
Rep

Cool, thats what I thought. Thanks Trooper.

Well I am going back and forth between the GP Thunders and the Mtechs. It seems, from reading, they are both good matches depending on who you talk to. Seems the Mtechs have a little bit better reliability but the Gp might match just a bit better. Halogen is never going to look just like LED, I just don't want it to be an obvious mis-match.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #10
Mwishlist
Private First Class
Rep

Holy Shit, just got my first light done and plugged up for testing and it looks amazing!

I didn't snap pics cause it looked so good I wanted to knock out the second one, which I am about to do now. I will post a bunch of before and after pics when I do the actual install on Thursday night.

To summarize I bought a pair of OEM Halogen LCI Headlights with stock angel eyes. Then I bought MTech 4350 super white bulbs for hi, lo and fog lights; Wiesslicht PY24W LED Turn signals and Lux Halogen Angel Eye LEDs. So I basically upgraded every bulb. I know its not xenon / projectors / OSS led rings but they look great with very even light and they are super bright. The Mtechs seem to match the Lux perfectly. Plus, it is a hell of a lot easier replacing all the bulbs in a brand new un-installed headlight then doing it on the car.

Oh, also no codes or problems when I tested all the functions just now. Literally just plugged it in and bam. I will get them in the car on Thursday and then get someone to code the AEs as DRL with corner delete and I will be in business.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 10:55 PM   #11
Mwishlist
Private First Class
Rep

Old:

New:
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
nyczbmw
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

OP can you post a picture of the angel eyes in daylight please? Also, a picture of the lowbeams on + angel eyes..

I'm currently running a halogen set up as well, have the MTECH h7 bulbs and RD Angel Eye V2.. not too happy about the brightness of the AE's during the day. I'm thinking of switching over to the lux AE's if they look bright enough in daytime from your pictures.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #13
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetaudio View Post
Holy Shit, just got my first light done and plugged up for testing and it looks amazing!

I didn't snap pics cause it looked so good I wanted to knock out the second one, which I am about to do now. I will post a bunch of before and after pics when I do the actual install on Thursday night.

To summarize I bought a pair of OEM Halogen LCI Headlights with stock angel eyes. Then I bought MTech 4350 super white bulbs for hi, lo and fog lights; Wiesslicht PY24W LED Turn signals and Lux Halogen Angel Eye LEDs. So I basically upgraded every bulb. I know its not xenon / projectors / OSS led rings but they look great with very even light and they are super bright. The Mtechs seem to match the Lux perfectly. Plus, it is a hell of a lot easier replacing all the bulbs in a brand new un-installed headlight then doing it on the car.

Oh, also no codes or problems when I tested all the functions just now. Literally just plugged it in and bam. I will get them in the car on Thursday and then get someone to code the AEs as DRL with corner delete and I will be in business.
I hate to break it to you, but you kind of got shafted with the Weisslicht turn signals. They're extremely expensive, and definitely not as bright as the OEM halogen. If you want something much closer to OEM brightness, I'd go with the HighPerformanceBulbs.com 7.5W turn signal bulbs
http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/bmwpy5amulhi.html

But besides that, you made an awesome buy, LCI halogens are a fantastic stop-gap between getting DEPOs with crappy projectors, or a legitimate projector retrofit/BMW OEM bixenon headlights.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #14
Mwishlist
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
I hate to break it to you, but you kind of got shafted with the Weisslicht turn signals. They're extremely expensive, and definitely not as bright as the OEM halogen. If you want something much closer to OEM brightness, I'd go with the HighPerformanceBulbs.com 7.5W turn signal bulbs
http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/bmwpy5amulhi.html

But besides that, you made an awesome buy, LCI halogens are a fantastic stop-gap between getting DEPOs with crappy projectors, or a legitimate projector retrofit/BMW OEM bixenon headlights.
Dude, where were you in this thread a week ago?

I will have to check those out. The weisslichts are only $59 from E92 Lighting and they seemed way brighter than my current stock halogen turn signals. But, I was excited to see the LED working so I appreciate the heads up. I will compare them before I install because I want to make sure the turn signals are nice and bright. I like the look, but I don't want looks over function.

I will install them Thursday night and shoot some pics on my phone Friday in the daylight. I am still looking for someone to remote code so it will be with the corner leds. I am not expecting much in the daylight since its LCI OEM and not a true LED ring, but as rollingstone said its a really nice upgrade without all the headache of the full on xenon switch out etc.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #15
Mwishlist
Private First Class
Rep

So I did the install with the help of a friend and some Guinness. 2.5 hours because the two screws holding the corner of the bumpers and the one screw under the headlight attached to the headlight support bracket are a total bitch to get to.

Beyond that, it was a pretty easy install. Couple of notes:
1. I need to get a flat wall with 25 ft to fully adjust the lights. They are pretty damn close but I think I need to adjust the second adjustment on the driver side. I can adjust the lights up and down easily, but the lights have two adjustments each and you pretty much can't get to the second set without un-installing the light again. I am sure an LCI frame has an access hole but I don't see anyway to get to the second set of adjustment screws right now. Luckily, they are almost right on where the old lights were. Otherwise you would have to fit them, adjust them and then install them again.

2. The Lux halogens rule but they don't utilize the stock grey thingy shown here:

which locks the two angel eye tubes together. On one of the lights it seemed fine but on the other light the angel eyes wanted to slip apart making one further away from the Lux shown here:

This didn't look promising so at first I hacked up one of the grey plastic pieces, but that didn't work so I simply used a zip tie to tie the ends together. There are raised places on them so the zip tie pretty much holds them together perfectly. With both lights tied up they sit super close to the Lux.

Finally for nyczbmw here is a pics of the AEs this morning about 9 with the sun hitting the side of the car. I forgot to get one with the low beams on but that should give you an idea of what they look like. I don't know how they compare to yours, but they are pretty much exactly what I expected for OEM in the sunlight. At night they look amazing, the Lux really are super bright and all the Mtechs really do match the lux well. Everything is very white.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #16
voxxan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328xi

Nice job man -- the lights look great. Would also be interested in seeing the AEs w/ low beams.

Had a few questions:

- Which exact Lux AE's did you get? LUX E90 LCI Halogen angel eyes designed for the 2009-2012 E90 3-series? I have an 07 E90.

- Are the AE's along w/ low beams part of DRL or just AE's? If so, how was this setup? And are the corners on all the time or were you able to code the delete?

- Were the headlights OEMs or aftermarket? Have they fogged out during rain or wash?

And thanks for providing all this info.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #17
Mwishlist
Private First Class
Rep

Wow, back from the dead. Thanks, I am super happy with them.

Well first off, you can access the second adjustment, they are under the fender plugs so I needed to edit that anyway.

They are OEM LCI headlights, 2009 -2012. They are plug and play for the pre-LCI cars. Simply uninstall the old headlights, fender etc. and plug in the new headlights. The link where I bought them should be up further in the thread. They are LCI but fit pre-LCI cars perfectly.

They are indeed the Lux E90 LCI Halogen bulbs. Since the headlight assemblies are actually 2009 to 2012 headlights, the E90 bulbs work fine. The link to those should be up there too.

The headlights aren't fogged out at all, they look great but really; they are still pretty much new.

I looked forever for someone to locally code for me but could only find remote coders that charged a ton to do it. I toyed with getting a cable and coding myself since I like that kind of thing but after going through the coding faq and sites; I don't think I want to invest that much time in it at this point. Between my day gig, bands, studio and my family that is just another time suck waiting to happen. So I haven't done anything with them yet.

So totally stock, the parking lights are the angel eyes and the yellow corner lights. However the angel eyes are so freaking bright the yellow really doesn't bother me being on like I thought they would. The yellow LEDs are fine for signalling but not nearly as bright as the stock bulbs. Don't get me wrong, if I found someone I trusted to code it for me I would in a heartbeat But I think it looks fine with the yellow for now. The low beams are the low beam lights plus angel eyes and that looks pretty sweet too.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 01:39 PM   #18
adrianrt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 530i

Garage List
08 328xi stock halogen

Hi.. I Want to upgrade my headlights.. My car doesnt have angel eyes.. Just old fashioned yellow halógen... So i Want angel eyes, white light on them and the light itself.. Is it possible? also can I run the eyes at all times? Do I need extra wiring for angel eyes since my car doesn't have it now...? Where can I get all this stuff including the whole headlight? Thank you...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #19
adrianrt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 530i

Garage List
08 328xi... Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwishlist
Wow, back from the dead. Thanks, I am super happy with them.

Well first off, you can access the second adjustment, they are under the fender plugs so I needed to edit that anyway.

They are OEM LCI headlights, 2009 -2012. They are plug and play for the pre-LCI cars. Simply uninstall the old headlights, fender etc. and plug in the new headlights. The link where I bought them should be up further in the thread. They are LCI but fit pre-LCI cars perfectly.

They are indeed the Lux E90 LCI Halogen bulbs. Since the headlight assemblies are actually 2009 to 2012 headlights, the E90 bulbs work fine. The link to those should be up there too.

The headlights aren't fogged out at all, they look great but really; they are still pretty much new.

I looked forever for someone to locally code for me but could only find remote coders that charged a ton to do it. I toyed with getting a cable and coding myself since I like that kind of thing but after going through the coding faq and sites; I don't think I want to invest that much time in it at this point. Between my day gig, bands, studio and my family that is just another time suck waiting to happen. So I haven't done anything with them yet.

So totally stock, the parking lights are the angel eyes and the yellow corner lights. However the angel eyes are so freaking bright the yellow really doesn't bother me being on like I thought they would. The yellow LEDs are fine for signalling but not nearly as bright as the stock bulbs. Don't get me wrong, if I found someone I trusted to code it for me I would in a heartbeat But I think it looks fine with the yellow for now. The low beams are the low beam lights plus angel eyes and that looks pretty sweet too.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Hi.. I Want to upgrade my headlights.. My car doesnt have angel eyes.. Just old fashioned yellow halógen... So i Want angel eyes, white light on them and the light itself.. Is it possible? also can I run the eyes at all times? Do I need extra wiring for angel eyes since my car doesn't have it now...? Where can I get all this stuff including the whole headlight? Thank you...
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 10:33 PM   #20
Mwishlist
Private First Class
Rep

The links in my fist post work, those are OEM headlights with angel eyes and they are plug and play no additional wiring.

You can get brighter aftermarket ones but these work with no issues whatsoever because they are BMW oem.

If you want the angel eyes to be your daytime driving lights, you need to get your car coded, otherwise, your parking light setting are your angel eyes.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 03:48 PM   #21
Lee_C
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Also have a 2008 E90, pre-lci halogen headlights are pretty beat up and hazy at this point so starting to consider swapping for the lci halogens. Great content here and planning to follow what you did. Only question I have is if you have had any issues with the car throwing errors/codes as a result of any of the bulb changes? In particular the LED turn signals?

Thanks
Appreciate 0