E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Scuffed Bumper Lip

10-24-2023, 04:09 PM   #1
ejade
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Scuffed Bumper Lip

Hey everyone, first time poster! I got this 2008 328i a little over a week ago, I know basically all BMWs have scraping on the lower bumper lip from going over speed bumps but I think it looks really ugly! I am planning on getting an ez lip or something similar but I would like to fix the scuffs before doing so. I know nothing about cars so I turned to YouTube, I thought there would be tons of videos but I only found one relayed to this issue surprisingly. In the video a plastic bumper repair kit was used to sand, fill in any dings/deep scrapes then primer was applied along with the vehicle’s paint (aerosol spray) and a clear coat. Seems like it would be fairly easy but I’ve never done anything like that before so I’m a little on the fence. Does anyone have any other suggestions how to fix the scuffs?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2023, 06:25 PM   #2
codeterrorist
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

Without actually fixing it, which you know would require a good amount of time and accepting that the end result might not look very professional since you stated you have never done such thing before, the next best thing would be to get splitters like this one

https://www.amazon.ca/Except-Bumper-...f-fa04f1ca0da8

That one will require paint, but you can also get some that look like carbonfiber or you can get them paint matched. I believe on ebay.

just make sure that it is for a pre-LCI car (2006 ~ 2008 3 series) since the standard bumper changed style in 2009.
Appreciate 1
ejade0.00
      10-24-2023, 06:27 PM   #3
ejade
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeterrorist View Post
Without actually fixing it, which you know would require a good amount of time and accepting that the end result might not look very professional since you stated you have never done such thing before, the next best thing would be to get splitters like this one

https://www.amazon.ca/Except-Bumper-...f-fa04f1ca0da8

That one will require paint, but you can also get some that look like carbonfiber or you can get them paint matched. I believe on ebay.

just make sure that it is for a pre-LCI car (2006 ~ 2008 3 series) since the standard bumper changed style in 2009.
Not sure if I’m doing this right, but thanks for the info!!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 07:03 AM   #4
KKevin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejade View Post
Not sure if I’m doing this right, but thanks for the info!!
My E90 has those same marks underneath on both sides. I bought the lip referenced above and painted it to cover the marks up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 03:20 PM   #5
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

An Aero lip would be my choice to cover it up, I had one on my car before replacing with a Sport bumper.