E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Dyno Day - Pt 2

12-19-2007, 07:07 AM   #111
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Hi Simon, hope you're well.

I'm very pleased with the re-map you did on my car and it is now seriously quick. The torque is quite breathtaking TBH and makes the car ideal for all round road use

The video footage clearly confirms no drop of power after 3700 rpm. My car does not feel as if any drop of power is occuring after these revs. either - just progressive power and acceleration.

I'm well chuffed Simon

Happy Christmas

Helen.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 07:13 AM   #112
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Tried the car this morning on the way to work and 'floored it' in both DS and manual mode. First attempt in DS, it didn't fully rev to the red line. Second attempt after establishing some rear end traction it revved all the way to 5000 rpm in 2nd, 3rd and 4th by which point I had to brake unfortunately. Repeated in manual mode and yes it red lines. Buggered up the mpg but so what. So maybe the gearbox has 'learned' on its own accord as TBH I haven't really been taking it to the red line. No need to IMO, you don't gain anything. Point is it will do it.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 07:37 AM   #113
e-maps
Banned
Rep
Drives: Seat

Thanks for the reply Helen, I am pleased you are happy with the results as with everyone else who has the same map reading the comments on the forum.

If you look at the plot and follow the bhp up from where the power drops off then the engine would make the quoted 340-350bhp. The reason the power drops off is due to the safety limiters imposed in the map by BMW. These safety maps are within the engine mapping, DSC, gearbox and steering angle system. If we wanted we could switch off these limiters which only come into effect when on the dyno. I chose to leave these limiters in place as they are safety limiters and do not come into effect when on the road. The only other way to switch these safety limiters off is through the factory tester by putting the car into dyno mode. This is why the ABS, DSC faults come up on the dash when you take the car off the dyno. These will clear and erase from the memory after the car has worked out it is off the dyno and back on the road.

The remap we use for all 335d's is a development file we obtained from BMW's development centre in Germany. This was done to see what the engine was capable of making and well within the limits of the engine and drive train. All BMW development files are tested for emmsions and reliability.

If we lowered the power then the car would most likely make the full power on the dyno and would not stop climbing at 3700rpm as the power is within the safety margins. As soon as the power climbs over the safety margins then the safety system will pull the power down to protect the car whilst on the dyno. The dyno cannot replicate road conditions which is why BMW have a dyno mode on the BMW tester for the 335d.

We first seen these limiters on the E46 M3. When on the dyno the car wont rev past 6200rpm, just stops reving. Put the car into dyno mode and the engine will rev cleanly to the limiters or as we know move the 6200rpm limiter to the standard engine limiter.

The auto gearbox on the 335d LCI again has a safety limiter in 1st gear which stops it reving to the redline to protect the engine and gearbox
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 09:15 AM   #114
BoBBoB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Clio 200 Full Fat

Simon

Welcome to the forum, hopefully your comments will enable us to close this thread, I'm happy with the explanation and I personally think that you have enough happy customers on this forum alone to justify the quality of the map. I'll see you on the 2nd !

Simon
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 09:44 AM   #115
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
Simon that's REALLY interesting stuff. and it matches what we've suspected for some time. i.e. the engine nanny kicks in.

Is there a way to defeat this on the Dyno without using the GT1 ?

What would be the ramifications of doing this ? - assuming we had good cool air and a gentle operator ?

Since you're here and so knowledgale, what do you know about the 335i ?
Is there an equivilent "test" map development for the petrol engine ?

When we ran the hartge we saw a very similar nanny effect in action that completely flumoxed me and kevin Bird. i.e. revs climbing massivley but power smoothly dropping off.

I can only assume since it's a BMW derived flash it might be using the same protection routines ?

SJ
      12-19-2007, 09:50 AM   #116
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

Simon

Thanks for jumping on and setting matters straight.

When I accidentally set this hare running I was anticipating that the majority of contributions would be positive and I suppose they are on balance.

Iam totally happy with your work and would not hesitate to recommend you to others.

The change speaks for itself on the road and I was surprised at the rev limit on the dyno - I can totally confirm that this does not happen on the road.

I will see if I can post a vid to confirm as well to put the matter to bed.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 10:06 AM   #117
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Guys don't worry about the discussions, I think people raised valid points.

However it looks like they've been answered now, which is even better

In effect people were RIGHT to question the dyno graph because it does NOT represent the results of the map.

I wished we'd asked you to mention to Simon that we demanded Dyno's, he'd have probably said it wouldn't work without a "dyno mode" setting.

Thinking along this line how come the Tuned 335i's don't have this kind of nanny ?

Is it that the Piggyback interceptor negates any nanny effect or did BMW just not expect people to tune and Dyno them ?

SJ
      12-19-2007, 10:14 AM   #118
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

I would have thought that the petrol is different to the diesel - it has a free reving engine and puts out a fraction of the torque - even with a piggy!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 10:16 AM   #119
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Squeal Little piggy Squeal !
      12-19-2007, 10:18 AM   #120
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M

I can`t speak for the 335d but the E46 M3 doesn`t loose power at 6200 rpm it just wont rev past it. There are plenty of dyno operators that can dyno them to 8400 rpm `tho ?

The fact that when you come off a dyno and the abs etc. lights are on, is nothing to do with this nanny protection as even my old E90 used to do it, its simply because the front wheels aren`t turning and confuses the wheel speed sensors. (The car thinks your doing a 120 mph burn-out )
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 11:31 AM   #121
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Anyway sod you Densil heads

Simon have you got anything for the M3 in the pipeline???
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 11:35 AM   #122
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

There is a map that takes the new M3 to 475 hp but its a lot of bucks at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 11:45 AM   #123
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem View Post
There is a map that takes the new M3 to 475 hp but its a lot of bucks at the moment.

Just had Bm mag thru this morning,DMS to new E92 M3 tested on the front just gonna have a read thru
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 11:55 AM   #124
mikem
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezebm View Post
Just had Bm mag thru this morning,DMS to new E92 M3 tested on the front just gonna have a read thru
Off to the airport shortly, hope Smiths have it.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 12:15 PM   #125
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
beemerbird Hi Simon, hope you're well.

I'm very pleased with the re-map you did on my car and it is now seriously quick. The torque is quite breathtaking TBH and makes the car ideal for all round road use

The video footage clearly confirms no drop of power after 3700 rpm. My car does not feel as if any drop of power is occuring after these revs. either - just progressive power and acceleration.

I'm well chuffed Simon

Happy Christmas

Helen.
Quote:
Evil Diesel Simon

Thanks for jumping on and setting matters straight.

When I accidentally set this hare running I was anticipating that the majority of contributions would be positive and I suppose they are on balance.

Iam totally happy with your work and would not hesitate to recommend you to others.

The change speaks for itself on the road and I was surprised at the rev limit on the dyno - I can totally confirm that this does not happen on the road.

I will see if I can post a vid to confirm as well to put the matter to bed.
Welcome Simon, glad you finally come out of the closet

Anyway Helen and Tony have said it all really,so 'nuff' said!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 12:15 PM   #126
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Simon @ E-maps, welcome to e90post. I know you have been a regular ''lurker'' as such and its good to finally see you here

I am still confused by it all (have read all todays posts in 5 mins after just waking up from nights, im mullered) so the power does or does not drop off sharply after 3700rpm?

Why is it we cant ''dyno'' the 335d well after a re-map but beforehand mapping the 335d ''dyno's'' well?!

I do like the relative ''rev-happy'' nature of the stock 335d and am very worried of losing that aspect of a fine motor. This along with lack of HP (I know the torque is good, but not quite well into the 500 ib-ft mark like advertised) is what is making me struggle to make up my mind on what to do next.

Carlos
      12-19-2007, 12:19 PM   #127
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
dxb335d Simon @ E-maps, welcome to e90post. I know you have been a regular ''lurker'' as such and its good to finally see you here

I am still confused by it all (have read all todays posts in 5 mins after just waking up from nights, im mullered) so the power does or does not drop off sharply after 3700rpm?

Why is it we cant ''dyno'' the 335d well after a re-map but beforehand mapping the 335d ''dyno's'' well?!

I do like the relative ''rev-happy'' nature of the stock 335d and am very worried of losing that aspect of a fine motor. This along with lack of HP (I know the torque is good, but not quite well into the 500 ib-ft mark like advertised) is what is making me struggle to make up my mind on what to do next.

Carlos
Carlos, you're obviously still mullered, go back to bed for an hour, get up again, and re-read Simon's posts.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 12:19 PM   #128
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-maps View Post
Thanks for the welcome

The power will start to tail off at around 4200rpm, even the stock map does this as fuelling tails off. You can see this on the stock dyno plot. We bring the fuelling back down to stock values around this rpm to protect the engine, as with the standard BMW map.

If you study the video you can see the traction kicks in at 90mph, around 4100rpm. If you look at the dyno plot and compare this to the video do you think the traction would kick in if the power was dropping so sharply as on the plot :sad0147:
Traction control simon would step in when there is an uneven road surface or if a surface change took place with less grip no matter what revs and what speed..

So the traction control light thing is irrelevant really..

The traction control light can come on at 1500rpm at 15 mph.
      12-19-2007, 12:22 PM   #129
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Carlos, you're obviously still mullered, go back to bed for an hour, get up again, and re-read Simon's posts.
I have re-read, and am it seems the car is 350bhp but power drops off because ''its on a dyno''....?!

Ian, your car still made considerably less Rear wheel horsepower than Peppernicks tho. If you made the same if not a little more as you did stock, i would be happy.

Carlos
      12-19-2007, 12:26 PM   #130
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
dxb335d Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe

I have re-read, and am it seems the car is 350bhp but power drops off because ''its on a dyno''....?!

Ian, your car still made considerably less Rear wheel horsepower than Peppernicks tho. If you made the same if not a little more as you did stock, i would be happy.

Carlos
Really, I don't think that's the case Carl.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2007, 12:27 PM   #131
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
What was your RWHP Ian?
      12-19-2007, 12:28 PM   #132
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Helen, so why does every other car Dyno well? MikeM says the M3 dynos to over 8k ewasily enough.