E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Cranks/no start/ABS light trifecta. (Partially solved)

03-30-2023, 12:05 PM   #1
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Yellow brake light
ABS light
DTC light

These come on with the ignition on, or engine started. When I drive the car, everything is fine, but at every stop sign, stoplight, parked, they come back. The lights keep repeating with the cluster turning off/on again.

The gauge cluster temporarily shuts off, aside from the RPM. CC works. DTC works. The car drives normally. Wipers are working.

Please go to the end of the post for current codes.

Partial solution.

For anyone looking at no start/crank threads. My DME plugs on the short side(the two long ones) were swapped. Apparently they can go in the wrong way with a little force. You shouldn't have to use any force on the DME plugs, and they slide right in like butter in the proper channels. Lesson learned.

My car will now start/drive, but I am still looking for advice on my ABS light trifecta issues.

I am still updating this thread for that purpose.

Thanks for the help so far to everyone, and please read my last few posts for the current codes and chime in if you have any good leads for me.

Thanks.

Last edited by VehementCrom; 04-06-2023 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: Partially solved.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 12:51 PM   #2
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Fuel gauge was turning off and on. That stopped.
Attached Images

Last edited by VehementCrom; 04-04-2023 at 10:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 01:14 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by VehementCrom View Post
Pulled the motor/engine harness. Haven’t started this car in like 2 years 4 months. Finally back to that point, and I am doing my coolant bleeding procedure. The cluster is flashing all sorts of stuff and seems angry...
Your post IMPLIES that the engine was NOT running at the time the "Light Show" appeared on your Instrument Cluster. ALL of the displays (except ambient Temp) on the Instrument Cluster are from reading signals on K-CAN Bus, as opposed to "Hard-wired" signals on dedicated wires.

So first impression (see below for tests needed) is that you have an issue with bad connection, short to Ground or to B+ in K-CAN bus wiring somewhere. We can suggest HOW to test that IF further Diagnostics confirm such an issue.

Please provide answers to following questions, so we can suggest "Next Steps":
1) Last-7 Characters of VIN of your vehicle;
2) Make/Model of any Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software (INPA/ ISTA) available;
3) Whether engine was running or NOT when those photos taken showing warning lights on Cluster;
4) Does Starter Crank Engine?
5) Does Engine fire/ start when Starter Cranks for 2 seconds?
6) Does RPM value (~200 RPM or less) appear on Tach or Scan Tool Live Data for RPM during Starter Cranking?
7) Did you have any "Power Supply" external to battery attached when Light Show occurred? If so, does SAME thing happen when you simply charge battery and then disconnect Charger? Voltage Spikes can cause Cluster "Light Show" by interfering with K-CAN bus signals. Bad Voltage Regulator, causing "Over-voltage" or voltage spikes can do SAME when engine running.
George
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 01:39 PM   #4
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
Your post IMPLIES that the engine was NOT running at the time the "Light Show" appeared on your Instrument Cluster. ALL of the displays (except ambient Temp) on the Instrument Cluster are from reading signals on K-CAN Bus, as opposed to "Hard-wired" signals on dedicated wires.

So first impression (see below for tests needed) is that you have an issue with bad connection, short to Ground or to B+ in K-CAN bus wiring somewhere. We can suggest HOW to test that IF further Diagnostics confirm such an issue.

Please provide answers to following questions, so we can suggest "Next Steps":
1) Last-7 Characters of VIN of your vehicle;
2) Make/Model of any Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software (INPA/ ISTA) available;
3) Whether engine was running or NOT when those photos taken showing warning lights on Cluster;
6) Does RPM value (~200 RPM or less) appear on Tach or Scan Tool Live Data for RPM during Starter Cranking?
7) Did you have any "Power Supply" external to battery attached when Light Show occurred? If so, does SAME thing happen when you simply charge battery and then disconnect Charger? Voltage Spikes can cause Cluster "Light Show" by interfering with K-CAN bus signals. Bad Voltage Regulator, causing "Over-voltage" or voltage spikes can do SAME when engine running.
1: AZ85827

2: I have the Carly bluetooth OBD2 adaptor. I also have a BimmerGeeks cable but haven't used it yet.

3: The engine was not running. The water pump was running (bleeding procedure)

8: The car was running off of the battery only. I did mess with that 13mm nut on the positive battery terminal, it was loose. That my have caused some voltage spikes.

This is a brand new battery, as my original was dead. I have not registered it yet, but it is the exact same one as was in the car previously.

Last edited by VehementCrom; 03-30-2023 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2023, 05:48 PM   #5
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

4/5: The starter does crank the engine, and will keep cranking. I let it go for about 8 seconds two times, and I didn't hear the engine fire at all.

Carly can’t connect to the engine.

I'm wondering if I connected something wrong in the engine harness box. I had all the wiring out to pull the motor out of the car. There is one connector towards the front of the harness box, where 3 red wires all plug in, and it seems like they could be swapped.

If anyone has any ideas please lmk.

Backstory on the car. I drove it home one day fine. Next day it wouldn't start.
I pulled the intake manifold and the starter. The starter was filled with grease.(Bad dual mass flywheel) The little power flaps (I always forget the name of those for the 3 stage manifold) were broken.

I ended up deciding to pull the motor out, because my oil pan gasket was leaking as well. I pulled it and replaced these parts.

-Starter
-Intake manifold flaps(OEM)
-OFHG
-Oil pan gasket
-Aluminum flywheel/clutch/related parts
-Mickey mouse flange
-Battery (Same battery but haven't registered it yet)
-Headers
-The diaphragm/hoses under intake manifold(OEM)
-Hose behind the valve cover
-One coolant hose
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 02:04 PM   #6
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

6: The tachometer doesn’t show anything when the car was cranking.

Here’s are my current codes from Carly today, after I disconnected the battery for a bit. I was checking some fuses/wiring.

00A3AD,
00A3AE,
00A0B3,
00D030,
00CED4

I tried to start the car again, it will sit there and crank, but doesn’t fire or stumble whatsoever.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them. I really need to get this car back on the road, so I can fix my other car, and start working again. (Delivery)

Thanks.

Last edited by VehementCrom; 04-04-2023 at 10:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 05:29 PM   #7
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Replaced the DS ground strap. No change.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2023, 09:09 PM   #8
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The tachometer doesn’t show anything when the car was cranking. Here’s are my current codes from Carly today... I tried to start the car again, it will sit there and crank, but doesn’t fire or stumble whatsoever. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them...
Carly show NO Fault Memory for the DME (Engine Control) Module. If you CANNOT connect to the DME & View Live Data, such as Engine RPM during Starter Cranking, then the first likelihood is there is NO Power to the DME when Ignition is ON.

INPA or ISTA would quickly show if DME is Powered or Connected by PT-CAN bus to JBE "Hub". I do not know anything about Carly, except it SHOULD be able to read Fault Codes in ALL ~ 20 Modules in your vehicle. Three of the Fault Codes you posted indicate that the KOMBI and EKPS Modules (Instrument Cluster & Fuel Pump Modules), are NOT receiving expected "Messages" from the DME, suggesting it may NOT be powered. Same for NO Tach Signal.

In post #5 you stated: "I'm wondering if I connected something wrong in the engine harness box. I had all the wiring out to pull the motor out of the car. There is one connector towards the front of the harness box, where 3 red wires all plug in, and it seems like they could be swapped."

Attached to NEXT Post, so as NOT to destroy Margins here, are SIX (6) ScreenPrints from ISTA of the DME Power Supply for your 2006 330i. The 4th ScreenPrint shows A2076, B+ Potential Distributor, which receives Battery Power from fuse F54, & supplies CONSTANT power for DME function to X60003/1, Red Wire. A2076 also supplies power to K6300 DME Main Relay, which when activated by DME Ground signal to relay Electromagnet, supplies the MAIN Power to X60003/3, Orange wire at DME.

Please let me know if any questions,
George
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2023, 09:12 PM   #9
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Attached are 6 ISTA ScreenPrints related to 2006 330i, referenced in Prior post.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-01-2023, 06:25 PM   #10
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Mistakes were made. I had the *ground wire from the last ISTA pic X6454 tucked up in the injector harness (Loose but probably making contact with the VC or other metal).

I bolted the wire where it was supposed to go, and put the other ground along with it (Pretty sure they go together there.)

I tried to start the car but it sounded the same, no stumbling, no tach.

I also checked the power wires from ISTA pic #4 and they seem to be plugged in correctly.

Its still throwing the same 5 codes. Carly cant connect to the engine, says it needs to be running.
Attached Images

Last edited by VehementCrom; 04-04-2023 at 10:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2023, 09:02 PM   #11
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok so I didn't have the 2 longer plugs on the right side of the DME plugged in all the way.

Now that I have the Ecu all plugged in properly, its still not starting.

I can hear one of the relays clicking in the engine compartment every 7 seconds. I took a pic of the relay. The one with the blue bottom in front.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 03:56 PM   #12
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Missed a wire with connector on the battery box near the 13mm nut. It plugs in opposite another connector.

After connecting said plug, the car still just cranking with no start.

I checked the 60amp fuse(F54) and it was good. I checked the black box with the 5 fuses in it, next to the DME, they were all good.

The relay I posted the pic of is clicking every seven seconds when I have the battery hooked up.

I read that its possible to swap some of connectors to the DME. At least one shop has done it. I’m going to double check all of that tomorrow.

Gbalthrop, send me your paypal for a donation, your help is invaluable on this forum. I see your name pop up in every thread I look through.

Last edited by VehementCrom; 04-04-2023 at 10:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 04:54 PM   #13
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Got some new codes.

00A3AD,

00A3AE,

00A3AC,

00A3B9

00A550.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 11:02 PM   #14
Bmw1939
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 328i, 2008 BMW X3

Is the gas in the car 2 and half years old?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 07:11 AM   #15
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw1939 View Post
Is the gas in the car 2 and half years old?
Yes and unfortunately I had a full tank when it died.

I don’t think the gas itself is causing my issues though, I clearly have an electrical problem that needs to be sorted.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 12:24 PM   #16
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Carly shows NO Fault Memory for the DME (Engine Control) Module. If you CANNOT connect to the DME & View Live Data, such as Engine RPM during Starter Cranking, then the first likelihood is there is NO Power to the DME when Ignition is ON...
Quote:
... Its still throwing the same 5 codes. Carly cant connect to the engine, says it needs to be running.
Quote:
... I can hear one of the relays clicking in the engine compartment every 7 seconds. I took a pic of the relay. The one with the blue bottom in front.
Quote:
Got some new codes: 00A3AD, 00A3AE, 00A3AC, 00A3B9, 00A550.
Those "new" codes are ALL "Message" errors indicating the KOMBI/Instrument Cluster Module is NOT receiving expected messages from DME & DSC (PT-CAN bus). You report "Carly can't connect to DME" (engine Module). Carly doesn't (SHOULDN'T) say "it needs to be running". Simply with Ignition ON (engine NOT running) Carly would be able to communicate with DME (Engine Module) IF:
1) DME is POWERED (including proper Ground Wire attachment), AND
2) DME is properly connected by PT-CAN bus (Network connection) to the JBE Module.

"Crank, NO Start" condition, No Fault Codes read in DME, AND NO Communication by Scan Tool with DME (to read Live Data, such as Coolant Temp, System Voltage..) ALL indicate that you either have NO Power/Ground to DME or NO PT-CAN bus connection.

RECOMMENDATION:
Fuggedebout everything else, and simply test for DME (1) Power; (2) Bus Connection.
ISTA ScreenPrint, showing Modules on the PT-CAN bus is attached to NEXT Post. Since your first post in this thread showed apparent Bus Faults by the "Light Show" on the Instrument Cluster, usually caused by scrambled Bus Signals (Bus = Computer Network between Modules/computers), and NOW you show "Message Faults" where KOMBI is NOT receiving messages/ communications from DME & DSC (both on PT-CAN bus) I would suggest that you do the following and report findings:

1) Identify what Modules shown on the PT-CAN bus in ISTA ScreenPrint that YOUR 330i has. As example, we know it has DME & EKPS (Fuel Pump) Modules, but NO AT (Automatic Transmission) Module. Can Carly "Connect to" or read Live Data (Ignition ON) in the EKPS or ANY of the other Modules of your vehicle that are shown as being on PT-CAN bus?

2) Do you still have the cover off the E-box holding the DME?

3) Do you have a Multimeter? If NOT any cheap Multimeter will do, such as $7 at HFT or $12 at Amazon:
https://www.harborfreight.com/7-func...g_q=multimeter
https://www.amazon.com/Plusivo-Digit...s%2C157&sr=8-5

4) Before, During or AFTER Engine work, did you disconnect ANY of the connectors inside the E-box where the DME is located? If so, please try to identify what was disconnected, with Photos or based upon the X60001 Location & Connector View attached to NEXT Post.

5) Can you now identify the two PT-CAN wires at Connector X60001? That would be Red wire at X60001/1 (Pin #1 of Connector X60001 at DME) and Blue/Red wire at X60001/14. Those are the two pins/sockets on end of each of two rows. If so:

6) Please check DME Pins & X60001 Sockets for any corrosion, damage, moisture, etc., supplying photos if possible.

You've done the heavy-lifting already. Time to learn a new skill: making sense of Wiring Diagrams, and how to test using a multimeter (NEXT Step ;-)
George
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2023, 12:27 PM   #17
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Attached are three (3) ISTA ScreenPrints related to PT-CAN Bus on 2005 330i, per prior post.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-04-2023, 05:38 PM   #18
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Those "new" codes are ALL "Message" errors indicating the KOMBI/Instrument Cluster Module is NOT receiving expected messages from DME & DSC (PT-CAN bus). You report "Carly can't connect to DME" (engine Module). Carly doesn't (SHOULDN'T) say "it needs to be running". Simply with Ignition ON (engine NOT running) Carly would be able to communicate with DME (Engine Module) IF:
1) DME is POWERED (including proper Ground Wire attachment), AND
2) DME is properly connected by PT-CAN bus (Network connection) to the JBE Module.

"Crank, NO Start" condition, No Fault Codes read in DME, AND NO Communication by Scan Tool with DME (to read Live Data, such as Coolant Temp, System Voltage..) ALL indicate that you either have NO Power/Ground to DME or NO PT-CAN bus connection.

RECOMMENDATION:
Fuggedebout everything else, and simply test for DME (1) Power; (2) Bus Connection.
ISTA ScreenPrint, showing Modules on the PT-CAN bus is attached to NEXT Post. Since your first post in this thread showed apparent Bus Faults by the "Light Show" on the Instrument Cluster, usually caused by scrambled Bus Signals (Bus = Computer Network between Modules/computers), and NOW you show "Message Faults" where KOMBI is NOT receiving messages/ communications from DME & DSC (both on PT-CAN bus) I would suggest that you do the following and report findings:

1) Identify what Modules shown on the PT-CAN bus in ISTA ScreenPrint that YOUR 330i has. As example, we know it has DME & EKPS (Fuel Pump) Modules, but NO AT (Automatic Transmission) Module. Can Carly "Connect to" or read Live Data (Ignition ON) in the EKPS or ANY of the other Modules of your vehicle that are shown as being on PT-CAN bus?

2) Do you still have the cover off the E-box holding the DME?

3) Do you have a Multimeter? If NOT any cheap Multimeter will do, such as $7 at HFT or $12 at Amazon:
https://www.harborfreight.com/7-func...g_q=multimeter
https://www.amazon.com/Plusivo-Digit...s%2C157&sr=8-5

4) Before, During or AFTER Engine work, did you disconnect ANY of the connectors inside the E-box where the DME is located? If so, please try to identify what was disconnected, with Photos or based upon the X60001 Location & Connector View attached to NEXT Post.

5) Can you now identify the two PT-CAN wires at Connector X60001? That would be Red wire at X60001/1 (Pin #1 of Connector X60001 at DME) and Blue/Red wire at X60001/14. Those are the two pins/sockets on end of each of two rows. If so:

6) Please check DME Pins & X60001 Sockets for any corrosion, damage, moisture, etc., supplying photos if possible.

You've done the heavy-lifting already. Time to learn a new skill: making sense of Wiring Diagrams, and how to test using a multimeter (NEXT Step ;-)
George
Alright George, I figured part of the problem out. I had the two longer plugs on the right side of the DME switched. (ISTA # 3) Apparently if you press hard enough they will go in on the opposite sides

I carefully plugged it all back in and checked the car with Carly, and now it could now see all of the modules. (Yes, it can see them and look at some of the data. I have the free version so its limited)

I registered the battery, and started the car. Fired up immediately.

Its running, but I need to rotate the orientation of the driveshaft because, its vibrating.

I'm still randomly getting the "tree lights/fuel gauge off/on/etc" bus errors.

It was making some weird noises through the speakers as well. (Related?)

How do you think I should go about troubleshooting the light issue now that the car runs and drives?

Check engine light comes on//off (No Cat)

00D030 is the only code I currently have.

"Message (Status of the Kombi, 0x1B4) faulty, receiver LDM, transmitter KOMBI"

Thanks for all the help, so far...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 10:00 PM   #19
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drove the car around for a bit. Runs down the highway fine.

The headlights were flickering and one went out temporarily.

When it’s parked idling, it usually starts doing the light show. Sounded like it was idling pretty rough.

I got some new codes. The struggle is real.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 10:40 PM   #20
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Forgot to mention, I looked at the connections underneath the car, into the battery compartment.

Honestly they look pretty nasty outside.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2023, 10:53 PM   #21
Bmw1939
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 328i, 2008 BMW X3

Get some fresh gas in there. Poor gas might explain poor idle.
Appreciate 1
      04-06-2023, 07:39 AM   #22
VehementCrom
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw1939 View Post
Get some fresh gas in there. Poor gas might explain poor idle.
I will today, I just feel bad driving the car. It seems fine cruising along aside from the dash light thing.

It’s not happy about something low rpm tho, as when I parked it to check my tire pressures, I could hear vibration/chatter.

Some may be from my aluminum flywheel, but it was excessive.

I did have a cyl 6 miss code yesterday.

I love this car, I’m learning so much I’ll probably keep it forever, if I can get it back to its former glory. (Maybe even better)
Appreciate 0