E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest > OK Really really this time, No more Chickening out. Tint Tomorrow.

09-08-2007, 12:34 AM   #45
alistair
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 ///M

Garage List
2013 BMW X5///M  [0.00]
Keep us posted. We're all keen to find a good result in the area

The white scratch lines / marks / looks like dirt under the tint on the photographed area of your rear screen - are those artifacts, or a variation of the "psychedelic effect" ?

As for lunch on Monday - would love to, but I'm going to pick up my new car
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2007, 12:47 AM   #46
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistair View Post
Keep us posted. We're all keen to find a good result in the area

The white scratch lines / marks / looks like dirt under the tint on the photographed area of your rear screen - are those artifacts, or a variation of the "psychedelic effect" ?

As for lunch on Monday - would love to, but I'm going to pick up my new car
I believe the little scratch lines/ marks are leftovers from the microfibre I used just prior to taking the photo.

Hey have you been keeping track of the CAN-AM get together? It's looking like the 13th of October will be the day. Likely we'll all learn just how well our Heaters work, but it should be a good drive.

Congrats on picking up your ride, should be a very good day... The anticipation is rough...
      09-10-2007, 11:14 PM   #47
Revlis
United_States
Rep

OK, I got Good News and Bad.

First the bad news, I no longer have Johnson's Insulator film on my car. Apparently there is a problem with the film when heated with a heat gun to mold it to the compound curves on the insides of many windows. The weird patterning I saw is the result and Johnson's is working on a fix. The 50% is apparently just fine, it's only the 40 and 30% that has issues. Pisser.

OK

Good News. I got Johnson's Greystone Film installed today and it looks fantastic. Just like last time there is a bit of curing time needed and I have to go back and have the dot matrix flattened. I'll be doing this next Monday.

Pictures to follow.

Once again I cannot say enough about Jim and Bellevue Auto Tint. Not only did Jim fix it without question, he also offered to pick up my lunch tab, and do a 50% insulator under a 50% GreyStone at no charge. I declined, as I also suspected the Insulator of causing some intermittent CA problems and although I loved the effectiveness of the insulator Ceramic film I didn't want to run the risk of having it look all weird again.

So, Jim at Bellevue Auto Tint takes great pride in getting things done right and taking pride in his work. He Spent from 1130 today until about 4pm removing the old tint and applying the new.

Cost? Cost him whatever a days work plus the $100 in cash he insisted I take. $100 being the cost difference between the ceramic film and regular. Stand up guy to a fault.

Car looks terrific, I'll post up more pics, it's a more normal look, but still pretty nice.

Just wish I could find more businesses ran this way. Customer First, pride in the work, and integrity. Rare commodity.
      09-11-2007, 12:03 AM   #48
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
how much would a regular tint be like the one you had applied on after the first one... i need tint X|
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 10:28 AM   #49
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdflkijd View Post
how much would a regular tint be like the one you had applied on after the first one... i need tint X|
Well I'm not sure, but I am guessing I paid right around $270 or so for the coupe. Sedans are a little more money. Just give him a call, he's easy to deal with and friendly. They use Johnson's Window films which by all accounts are really good stuff, there just happens to be some issues with the Insulator right now.

My only caution is to NOT be put off by the appearance of the shop surroundings. First time I pulled in back there I almost pulled right back out, after speaking to Jim for 5 minutes though I was comfortable enough to just walk over to the Mall and not worry about my car. So just speak to Jim.

The Tint bay is WAAAY behind Pontiac/Buick of Bellevue.

Here's a quick before and after... I really wish the Insulator Tint wasn't screwing up, I liked it a lot. The GreyStone is nice though clean and simple.
Attached Images

09-12-2007, 10:34 AM   #50
alistair
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5///M  [0.00]
It's amazing the difference that the tint type makes, isn't it?

Still looks great, and thanks for the writeup!
What tint % did you end up with with the Greystone?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2007, 04:11 PM   #51
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alistair View Post
It's amazing the difference that the tint type makes, isn't it?

Still looks great, and thanks for the writeup!
What tint % did you end up with with the Greystone?
30% in the Greystone, The picture I posted above is a little deceiving makes the new tint look lighter than it is with the sun shooting in the windshield.

I'll post up more in a little bit, I shot a couple more pics today, I'll see what I got.
      09-13-2007, 12:34 PM   #52
ATG
Major
Cuba
Rep
Drives: f30 328 xdrive, e90 335i gone

Garage List
Jim is the man. Now I'm wondering what he had installed on my car: Greystone or Insulator?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 03:29 PM   #53
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG View Post
Jim is the man. Now I'm wondering what he had installed on my car: Greystone or Insulator?
If you are not having any problems then I wouldn't worry about it. The Insulator has a slightly blue tint to it and is much more reflective than the Greystone.

Also the Insulator was much much better at blocking heat...
      09-20-2007, 10:09 AM   #54
Revlis
United_States
Rep

Important! Ceramic Films WILL interfere with with CA. Everything else seemed to work just dandy with the Ceramic tint in place (FM, AM, GPS, CELL) but there was a pretty noticeable reduction in performance after having the ceramic installed.

I wasn't positive at first, but I just got unfortunate confirmation from Alistair that he too is suffering from reduced CA performance. So it's not in my head. I wasn't positive that it just wasn't me looking for issues. However, after having the Greystone put on in place of the Insulator my CA was suddenly telepathic and working much better. Combined with Alistairs experience and I am certain now that most tint manufacturers may NOT understand Comfort access or similar systems.

So certainly no Johnson's Insulator if you are CA equipped. No Huper or Pinnacle either if you value your CA's performance most likely. Anyone able to back me up on this? They are all a sputtered metal formula tint that while "NON" metallic are still based on metals and will likely interfere with the operation of CA as well.

Theres a Poll here. Tint Questions

Last edited by Revlis; 09-20-2007 at 10:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2007, 02:42 PM   #55
alistair
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW X5///M  [0.00]
As Revlis pointed out - it doesn't work well. (CA is such a cool toy too!).

I'm going to have the ceramic tint removed, and am strongly considering just leaving the car without tint at all.

I had the 50% tint, and even without my driver's window tinted yet (they ran out of tint!) the CA on the driver's side is very patchy, both inside and outside the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2007, 10:43 AM   #56
Rocket07
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 335i Coupe, 94Ford Probe GT

I have the greystone too...does it seem greenish when sunlight shines through to you...don't know if it's just me. Have had no problems with CA though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
Well I'm not sure, but I am guessing I paid right around $270 or so for the coupe. Sedans are a little more money. Just give him a call, he's easy to deal with and friendly. They use Johnson's Window films which by all accounts are really good stuff, there just happens to be some issues with the Insulator right now.

My only caution is to NOT be put off by the appearance of the shop surroundings. First time I pulled in back there I almost pulled right back out, after speaking to Jim for 5 minutes though I was comfortable enough to just walk over to the Mall and not worry about my car. So just speak to Jim.

The Tint bay is WAAAY behind Pontiac/Buick of Bellevue.

Here's a quick before and after... I really wish the Insulator Tint wasn't screwing up, I liked it a lot. The GreyStone is nice though clean and simple.
Appreciate 0