E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > No Gong Sound

09-02-2023, 12:31 PM   #1
OptoFr3nk
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d E90 Sedan

No Gong Sound

Dear all,

I am writing here in order to receive your help in fixing an issue I am facing since long time.

Actually, I have a BMW 320d Sedan E90 (12/2007) that present an issue with indicator sound and gong sound for about a little over a year.

In the hidden menu, at the point 13 I can not hear any sound.
Just today I fixed the indicator sound by replacing the speaker cluster following this video instructions:

The issue related with the absent gong sound is still present. I was looking for a new gong speaker in order to replace it but I noticed that I do not have any gong speaker under the steering wheel (near the FRM module).

My car originally has a Business Head Unit which I replaced with an aftermarket Professional Head Unit (maybe three years ago) but without coding anything, just plug and play. For what I remember, everything worked fine at the very beginning. Do you think is something related with the coding?

I also have rear PDC and the PDC sound works properly, I hear them coming from the back of the car (probably from the speakers). I can tell you that this sound sometimes seems to be not normal, kind of distorted sound.

Thank you in advance for your kind help, have a great weekend.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 03:03 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

When you change modules they have to be default coded to your car.
Which means the configruation values stored in your VO that reside
in the CAS and FRM modules must be coded into the module you replaced.

Only the 2006 in the US had a separate gong or warning speaker after that they
made the stereo handle those noises.

When you say aftermarket what do you mean , because any true aftermarket Head Unit will not support BMW functions. A BMW Pro Unit should but it must be programmed correctly . And since you started out with a different model Head unit and you are in Europe even the VO programming may not be correct for the Head unit you now have
if it's a BMW Pro cd73.

Last edited by ctuna; 09-02-2023 at 03:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 03:10 PM   #3
OptoFr3nk
Rep

Thank you very much for your kind reply, I really appreciate that.

So you think that I am not hearing the gong because I did not code the Professional Head Unit?

Is it something I can do on my own via NCS Expert?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 01:56 AM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

That would be the first place to go .
Since it's a Euro Car the variations are no known in the US.
We only get the pro radio or idrive here.

Last edited by ctuna; 09-03-2023 at 02:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 03:17 PM   #5
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZMZ LCI | 850i/6

What year is your Professional head unit from?

You can try following the coding instructions here to make the head unit produce the gongs.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=823053

If your head unit is from an early production E90 it might not be able to produce the gongs needed.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2023, 04:30 PM   #6
OptoFr3nk
Rep

Will post a picture by tomorrow, it is an Alpine head unit.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 01:54 PM   #7
OptoFr3nk
Rep

Finally I am able to upload few pictures of my Professional HU.

According to few posts in the forum, I managed to code 663 to the VO, I did not have coded the 662 so I hadn't to remove anything. Of course, I did FA_write to both CAS and NFRM modules.

By doing that, the module RAD2 appears in NCS Expert and now I am able to read the RAD2 without issues.

What I was not able to do is to execute a job to RAD2 with file man empty.
Can you help me doing that?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 04:44 PM   #8
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

This empty file stuff is a source of much confusion.
What this really means is it loads the files from the VO instead of a man file that
you have edited. When you change the VO it has list of the basic things
needed to run that module.
If you want to be sure of what is in module in your case the Rad file you should read
it out and use a text editor to see how its setup. ( Or you could use NCSdummy to read
and edit a file and then save it to a Man file.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 01:39 PM   #9
OptoFr3nk
Rep

Thank you for your help ctuna. I still did not understand the story of the empty file. I think it is needed because another HU could have been coded differently (for different optionals) and probably I could not have them in my car. So, take the device back to a default state by loading an empty MAN file would be a good idea. Am I right?

By the way, just today I tried to install back my old Business CD Head Unit and the (new) gong worked properly (obviously I moved from $663 to $662 in both CAS and NFRM). I did nothing again about the empty MAN file, I do not know what to do. The only thing is that now I am not able to read RAD1 with NCS Expert, I got an error when executing the read job.

At this point, I think that I need a most recent BMW Professional CD Head Unit (or at least with a new firmware), something before 07/2007.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 08:54 PM   #10
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

I don't know if you where listening to what I said because there is not such thing
as and empty file. There is a stock file that comes with the module which is contained
in the VO . What would be the purpose of loading a blank file this make no sense.
When you do a default code it pulls default values out of the VO default values are not blank . They are a combination of the basic functions of the module and when fully integrated with the rest of the VO values in the VO from the the other modules.

When you change the VO you no longer have default values that apply to the whole
car.

So you will have to edit the Rad files and look for the functions you need to enable.

The business unit likely had the proper programming in it for your initial VO .

You should get a local coder to do this for you if you can find one.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 03:36 PM   #11
OptoFr3nk
Rep

Dear ctuna, thank you for your kind explanation.
Now it is more clear for me, I just read in other posts about the empty MAN file and, as I was not able to do that, I thought that this was causing me all this issues.
I will check for a local coder, do not want to cause trouble.
For the moment the gong is working with my Business CD Head unit.
Thank you again for your help, have a great day!
Appreciate 0