E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Yeerrrrrrr help me

08-04-2018, 08:18 AM   #1
iFlytwice
Ran out of blinker fluid
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i coupe

Yeerrrrrrr help me

So my car had to be towed because while changing the spark plugs a little bearing from the extension I was using fell into the cylinder and was sitting on top of the piston and I wasnt home to get it out. Before all of this the battery was fine, no electrical problems what so ever but as soon as I got to my house it seemed like the battery was drained so the next day I had it recharged and put it back into the car....... still no start so does this mean I have a short in the car?????

also when the guy came to tow the car it wasn't a flatbed (I know big mistake)so I had to put the car in neutral and leave the key in the ignition.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 02:02 PM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

So you mean the little ball that locks the socket on the extension bar fell into the cylinder? Why didn't you just go buy a gooseneck magnetic pickup tool?

Anyway, you need the scan the car with a BMW scan tool to see if there are any codes present, then start diagnosing from there.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 09:16 PM   #3
iFlytwice
Ran out of blinker fluid
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So you mean the little ball that locks the socket on the extension bar fell into the cylinder? Why didn't you just go buy a gooseneck magnetic pickup tool?

Anyway, you need the scan the car with a BMW scan tool to see if there are any codes present, then start diagnosing from there.
Excuse my lack of knowledge but it'll scan the car even tho the caR won't start?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 07:01 AM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFlytwice View Post
Excuse my lack of knowledge but it'll scan the car even tho the caR won't start?
As long as there is a good battery supplying voltage the the car, yes.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 09:31 AM   #5
iFlytwice
Ran out of blinker fluid
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
As long as there is a good battery supplying voltage the the car, yes.
That’s the thing though there’s no power what so ever. It’s not the ibs or the battery or the module that sits on top of the battery. My next thing to check is the ground cable and the alternator. Any other suggestions
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 10:43 AM   #6
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That’s the thing though there’s no power what so ever. It’s not the ibs or the battery or the module that sits on top of the battery. My next thing to check is the ground cable and the alternator. Any other suggestions
Have you tried to scan the car regardless of the battery condition? Have you tried to jump start the car? I guess the transmission is an automatic. I'm not clear on it, but I think there is a situation where the ignition can be disabled because the car thinks it is being stolen. A friend of mine with a 2010 E90 automatic 328i had her car have the same problem as you. She googled it and found a solution. It had something to do with an ignition lockout. She did some weird sequence of removing and inserting the ignition key when the car was in (automatic) neutral. Considering you had the car towed, it may have the same problem.

A scan of the car with a BMW scan tool my provide a way to unlock the disabled ignition.

Just a guess.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 07:20 PM   #7
iFlytwice
Ran out of blinker fluid
United_States
Rep

yea its a 2011 335i automatic and ive tried jumpstarting the car I even had the battery checked but still nothing im gonna have to keep searching until I find the problem. but thanks man you've been a big help

Last edited by iFlytwice; 08-05-2018 at 07:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 05:04 AM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yea its a 2011 335i automatic and ive tried jumpstarting the car I even had the battery checked but still nothing im gonna have to keep searching until I find the problem. but thanks man you've been a big help
I'll see her today and ask what she found for her problem. It sounds similar to yours.
Appreciate 0