E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Rear rotors stuck, parking brake ?

08-12-2018, 01:08 AM   #1
master_yugi
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Rear rotors stuck, parking brake ?

Hello,

First off, it’s a 2011 328i xDrive 72K Kilometers (45K miles) on it.

So I parked the car for about 2 months and when I tried using it this week, the rear wheels were stuck, but the front worked fine (or so it seemed, with the drag going on). So I checked and the calipers are not the problem, but the rear rotor, when attempting to remove them, was stuck (only checked the rear left as of now). Tried hitting on it with a soft hammer, many times, but unfortunately it won’t get off. When I try pulling on it, it feels as if I’m also pulling another part with it. Can’t rotate much the rotor and now can’t even reassemble the wheel, as the rotor is not aligned with the holes and I can’t rotate it enough for it to be.

The parking brake, during the 2 months I was not using it, was never engaged. I only used it once I attempted to use the car, there were tons of eror codes due to the battery being disconnected, so that is one of the things I did, only temporarily.

Any way of knowing if it is indeed the parking brake that is the problem ? If so, what can I do to unstick it. I can try hitting some more if need be, but I’ve already done it a ton.

Thank you !
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 01:07 PM   #2
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

Did you apply the parking brake before you tried to move the vehicle? Does pulling the parking brake and releasing it feel like it is not doing anything? If so then I would think it is the cable/mechanism that had been clogged up with corrosion and then stuck in the on position once you applied the brake.

If it was stuck before you tried to apply the parking brake, then I would think it was the shoes stuck to the drum. Perhaps moisture got in there and there is enough corrosion to cause the shoes to rub hard against the drum.

I would think the first scenario is most likely. There is a way to adjust the brake through one of the bolt holes... but you need to line up the disc again to do it. Can you continue to rotate the disc it has already moved until the next hole lines up? Parking brakes will brake much more effectively in one direction. Do a google search on how to adjust. It has been a long time since I did it and don't recall the detail.

I would also spray the inside of the drum with wd-40 or some other light lube and try to work the brake loose by pulling and releasing the handle. Yes, you will contaminate the shoes, but a good cleaning/soak with brake cleaner should take care of it. And besides, it is just a parking brake shoe.

I don't recall any exposed cable(like old school cars and trucks), but if you can see any that would be a good way to see if there is any slack in it when the parking brake handle is released to help determine if there is a seizure downstream.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #3
master_yugi
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

I tried adjusting using the adjuster, and I went both ways to make sure, yet, the rotor still doesn’t want to come off, and it does feel like I’m pulling something else everytime I try pulling it off. I’m not very knowledgeable with parking brakes, but it does feel like it’s the shoe I’m pulling with the rotor. It does dangle, on the left (driver side), I can pull the right side of the brake rotor, but the left side seems stuck.

I did try applying WD-40 through the lug nut holes but it doesn’t help.

Anything else left that I can try ?

I feel like I’m missing something/doing something wrong, but I don’t quite have the knowledge to figure it out.
Appreciate 0