E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Would you recommend Nokian WRG3?

11-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
Nirvanatude
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Would you recommend Nokian WRG3?

So I am about to make purchase on the winter tires and this is the quote I got from KAL TIRES
Nokian WRG3 - $205 per tire.

So the sales guy raved about these tires and how consumer report have rated them as their best "winter performance tires". But later at home when i did some research on these tires I was surprised to find that these are actually '"All-Weather Tires". The sales guy should have mentioned this to me. But I did found that these tires are more geared towards winters and bear the severe service snowflake mountain symbol. Here is the link to the consumer report review of these tires.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...ance/index.htm

But what would you guys suggest for winter tires in GTA. I drive a 335is and my daily commute is about 30km each way on QEW->427N->401W. I know these highways get clear of snow very quickly but other than this most of my driving will be on major streets of Toronto. Also though they are all weather tires but I do not intent to use them for summers.

This will be the first time for me using winter tires (I recently moved here from Jersey where all seasons did the job for me) so please guide me if WRG3 is the right way to go or should I go with something like Michelin x-ice or bridgestone LM's which are more dedicated snow tires?

2015 435xi GC: AW on CR, Premium, Executive, M Performance I
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
Kid Eh
I used to be conceited, now I'm perfect.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvanatude View Post
So I am about to make purchase on the winter tires and this is the quote I got from KAL TIRES
Nokian WRG3 - $205 per tire.

So the sales guy raved about these tires and how consumer report have rated them as their best "winter performance tires". But later at home when i did some research on these tires I was surprised to find that these are actually '"All-Weather Tires". The sales guy should have mentioned this to me. But I did found that these tires are more geared towards winters and bear the severe service snowflake mountain symbol. Here is the link to the consumer report review of these tires.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...ance/index.htm

But what would you guys suggest for winter tires in GTA. I drive a 335is and my daily commute is about 30km each way on QEW->427N->401W. I know these highways get clear of snow very quickly but other than this most of my driving will be on major streets of Toronto. Also though they are all weather tires but I do not intent to use them for summers.

This will be the first time for me using winter tires (I recently moved here from Jersey where all seasons did the job for me) so please guide me if WRG3 is the right way to go or should I go with something like Michelin x-ice or bridgestone LM's which are more dedicated snow tires?
Those are great tires. I had the Hakka on my old car which is more of a dedicated winter tire. If you're going to get Nokians I think you can get them cheaper here. Kal Tire is overpriced. http://www.mtctire.ca/

"I used to be conceited. Now I'm perfect"
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #3
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

wrg3 are classified 'all weather' tire. You can drive them in the summer time too but the handling is going to be really crappy (cornering) & noisy. I am not sure why you would choose a tire that is 1/2 winter & 1/2 summer.

For dedicated winter, Hakka R2
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
Nirvanatude
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
wrg3 are classified 'all weather' tire. You can drive them in the summer time too but the handling is going to be really crappy (cornering) & noisy. I am not sure why you would choose a tire that is 1/2 winter & 1/2 summer.

For dedicated winter, Hakka R2
I am not planning on to use them for summers (in summers I will go back to oem's 19s) The sales guy at Kaltires was praising very highly of these tires.
But this is what I am trying to ask local GTA ppl on this forum that if my daily commute is qew/427/401 do I need tires that are dedicated snow tires because these highways get clean of snow very quickly. Also these tires are really good on dry/wet pavement and slushy roads versus dedicated snow tires that are very good on actual snow/ice but not so good on dry pavement. Based on consumer report and other reviews I found these tires are more like 75% winter and 25% summer. Based on my driving needs in GTA do I need 100% dedicated snow tires? I live in downtown so roads near my home are quickly cleaned.

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
I am not planning on to use them for summers (in summers I will go back to oem's 19s) The sales guy at Kaltires was praising very highly of these tires.
But this is what I am trying to ask local GTA ppl on this forum that if my daily commute is qew/427/401 do I need tires that are dedicated snow tires because these highways get clean of snow very quickly. Also these tires are really good on dry/wet pavement and slushy roads versus dedicated snow tires that are very good on actual snow/ice but not so good on dry pavement. Based on consumer report and other reviews I found these tires are more like 75% winter and 25% summer. Based on my driving needs in GTA do I need 100% dedicated snow tires? I live in downtown so roads near my home are quickly cleaned.
If you arent going to use them in the summer (good idea) why not get a dedicated pure winter tire. They say it is a winter tire but can be used all year....that sounds all season to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
BigFoig
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 335is

Get the Michelin pilot alpine pa4. I ran pa3 last year and loved em. The refresh should be even better.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #7
MyF15+F85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 and 2015 F15

winter tires

Get something better than those Nokian tires.
I have installed a few of them for my customers, and it seems that that they do not, have the same consistency as other brands ( Michelin, Dunlop ,Bridgestone ) They tend to use more than normal amount of weights, and they do not spin true and round.
It is a fantastic tire for a Dodge caravan not your BMW.

YES, they have a fantastic warranty..... so does Hyundai !

I stick behind what I have written here.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
Kid Eh
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by myE70 View Post
Get something better than those Nokian tires.
I have installed a few of them for my customers, and it seems that that they do not, have the same consistency as other brands ( Michelin, Dunlop ,Bridgestone ) They tend to use more than normal amount of weights, and they do not spin true and round.
It is a fantastic tire for a Dodge caravan not your BMW.

YES, they have a fantastic warranty..... so does Hyundai !

I stick behind what I have written here.
I strongly disagree. I have had 3 sets of them and they are by far the best winter tire I've ever had. If you see any reviews or best of lists that include Nokians they are always at the top. I guess they are all using Caravans in their testing.

Last edited by Kid Eh; 11-25-2013 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 08:07 PM   #9
MyF15+F85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 and 2015 F15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Eh View Post
I strongly disagree. I have had 3 sets of them and they are by far the best winter tire I've ever had. If you see any reviews or best of lists that include Nokians they are always at the top. I guess they are all using Caravans in their testing.
NOW, I have had Nokian tires HAKKA SIPE two different times on two different vehicles, both of which presented me with a constant inability to get them balanced. And no .... there was no problem with the car, as soon as I have replaced the tires with a competitive brand all the vibrations want away.
I WILL never buy them again, but again you must have had good experience with them.... more power to you.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Blizzacks
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #11
m42stanle
N52B25
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 LCI (323i)

Quote:
We have almost an identical commute, so I think you are looking (like me) for a tire that will primarily be driven on cold, dry roads but still need to handle occasional snow covered roads and slush.

I don't think the Nokian tire is what you are looking for - that is an all weather tire aimed at soccer moms who don't want to switch over the tires on their RAV4 twice a year but still want the security of the mountain/snowflake logo on their tires. Nokian makes some great winter tires but these are not them.

You have already stated these will be a dedicated winter set, so you probably want to look at tires in the performance winter category. I run Dunlop Winter Sport 3Ds which I have had a great experience with (on my third season). Grippy dry road performance in the cold, fairly quiet, and far better than all seasons if you are caught in the odd storm. Take a look also at Michelin Primacy or Pilot Alpins. Blizzak LM-25 is an OE fitment for E90 I believe although I have not had first hand experience with those.

FWIW it seems those tires are a little overpriced - I think I paid ~$200/tire for my Dunlops from SimplyTire installed and balanced and those were the BMW blessed "star spec" RFTs which usually carry a big premium. Check Tire Rack as well as even shipped to your door with tax and duty + paying a local tire shop for install/balance they can save you some big $$.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 06:13 PM   #12
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Lm60>3d
I've had both, still run the blizzacks
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #13
Nirvanatude
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

So I have decided to go with Nokian Hakkas R2. I hope they are as good as they say...

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 12:43 AM   #14
ciagw
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 335i xdrive

For those still interested, I have the WRG3 on my 2009 BMW 335 i X drive. While the performance is great in straight line in the snow, I have to say the handling is a bit scary in spirited driving on wet surfaces compared to other tires I have run. Very significant oversteer and the rear just walks out on almost all corners. I can barely keep up with my wife's TDI golf on twisty roads in the rain! ... No it is not the shocks or anything else with the car - I just pulled off a set of Michelin Pilot Ultra Sport and it handled like a dream including in the rain with those. I know I can't compare those to the Nokians... but something seems a bit off. Wouldn't recommend them for spirited driving in the rain for what it is worth.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 02:29 PM   #15
The Geezer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi

Quote:
So I have decided to go with Nokian Hakkas R2. I hope they are as good as they say...
You will not be disappointed mate, best winter tire you can buy.
      11-04-2017, 09:11 PM   #16
Kid Eh
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Geezer View Post
Quote:
You will not be disappointed mate, best winter tire you can buy.
He probably isn't considering he bought them 4 years ago

Appreciate 0