E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > DMS remap on 325d

04-13-2008, 01:07 PM   #45
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Scooba,your not pissing anyone off, just trying one's patience a tad

There is no reason why you can't have a remap, there are plenty of very experienced mappers out there and lots of advice has already been offered.

Quote:
scooba0010 I dont want to piss HC or any body off

but my car has the GA6HP19Z BOX rated at 400nm now the maps we have discussed are well over the 20% safety margin i think 600nm is mentioned.

Where are you getting the 600nm figure from?
If you look at the figures from E-maps, Simon quotes a figure of 465 nm post map and Evolveyourcar quote 480 nm post map.

I spoke to kevin bird via reccomendation on here and was told LSD was a pre requisit as you will have probs getting the power down .and the cost went through the roof.machining rear axle etc.

Whilst I would not disagree with the statement about transferring the power to the road,I would disagree that a LSD is of paramount importance, my 335D is mapped, so are plenty of other members 335D's, I can only think of one member with a 335D running a LSD.

I just fancy changing my stock car a little not buying my self trouble ,If things go wrong i have learnt that im 99% of the time left on my own to resolve i am not saying simon would disapear but also wouldnt expect him to say send me the bill either.

And as I've said, it's possible, but no mapper will give you a 100% warranty on a map causing a potential problem, nor would I expect a respectable mapper to give you something that would lead to potential problems with your gearbox or anything else for that matter.
If a cast iron warranty is what you are after,forget a remap.

My neighbour who worked for chandlers btn bmw for 24 yrs. asked off the record if it was ok to map a 325d to 330d limits and there senior tech said NO and he was 100 certain it would be detected on a warrenty related box issue to replace auto box with new £5k box was £3800 plus labour around £!200
so please understand my concerns.

Scooba, you are very sensible in weighing up the pros and cons of a remap, and your concerns over the gearbox are valid, but I say again, speak to the professionals,only they will be able to take onboard your issues, and as Carlos has stated, could offer you a softer map or at least give you some confidence in their standard maps.

I wont mention my interest in remaps on here again i have asked enough advise from everyone and no one can stop me from having concerns over the gearbox
Scooba, forums are here to offer advice, some you take with a pinch of salt, some you take onboard, don't be put off mate, none of us bite that hard.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 01:09 PM   #46
Ant397
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 4.8is, Lambo Gallardo

Scooba is ovbiously being very cautious, but usually when you raise your concerns, other peoples professional advice can help make your mind up in most cases... But when you dont beleive/understand/accept what you are told, what more can people do?

RE the rusty brakes, you should have known better really. A salesman is absolutely nothing to do with service dept and isnt warranty trained, so you should have never listened to him in the first place. If you do think that he is just blowing smoke up your arse to get you to buy the car and appear like your best friend, ask for it in writing if it means that much to you or drag his ass to the service dept and ask for confirmation.

RE wasting a salesman's time, what is the benefit to anyone including you here? Your just wasting your time too and if you never speak of your concerns and just carry on a facarde of wanting to buy a car, then more fool you, what closure can it give you?

RE the remap and your advice from a long standing employee, dont beleive for one minute that if you have a fault and are towed to the dealership that tehy are going to straight away think 'eye up, we got another remap here'. It just doesnt happen. Give them some reason to think there could be fowl play and they will then investigate, but you dont strike me as someone thats going to broadcast your re-mapped car. If you want more power and driveability, how can you expect BMW to just roll over and pay? You know deep down inside that its a grey area, so surely you cant expect to have no come back at all and that others are going to simply fork out.

You take the rough with the smooth i'm afraid. If you want a non complicated life, dont mod cars, always watch your speed and never pick your nose while driving.

Now that you have read some of my blable, if you want my advice:

Call the re-map companies mentioned above back, express your views/concerns once more and politely ask that if you do ever have a problem, would they remove the map before it goes into BMW? They may just agree. Its a small favour to ask and then there is absolutely nothing for a BMW service department to winge about...

ant.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 01:20 PM   #47
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
I agree wholeheartedly with you scooba.

From every evidence you have there is the possibility that you would be exceeding the safe limits on the gearbox. Fine if you can take the hit of a new box on the chin if the worst happens, but like you I'd want to be sure that it wasn't me that was goign to have to get the chequebook out.

I'd certainly wait and see just what the BMW Performance range actually offers when it's launched before making any hasty decisions.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 01:21 PM   #48
Ant397
United Kingdom
Rep

By the way guys I have a Quaife LSD in the current d3 and the difference is chalk and cheese. The sheer drive and punch out of corners is staggering and well worth investing in.

Just for an example, last Sunday at Donnington Park at the Gumball trackday, powering out of Coppice the long right hander onto the back straight, a Gallardo had no more drive than we did in the d3 with the Automatic Torque Biasing Quaife LSD, they went no-where.

It is truely stunning and that's not even mentioning the drifting and donut action...

A worthwhile investment that I use every day pulling out of junctions and flowing around roundabouts, it handles totaly different.

Our demo d3 will be at UK5 and is there for all to have a play with if they like, you wont be dissappointed.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 01:23 PM   #49
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Yup, power is all well and good, but you have to put it down somehow.

Tony has proven that point by posting times within a gnats genitalia of James when Tony has been concentrating on power deilvery and handling whilst (at the time) James was concentrating on raw power.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 01:27 PM   #50
Ant397
United Kingdom
Rep

And whoever quoted 600Nm on a simple remap from a 325d is talking Sh!te by the way. You can ignore that figure and forget it was ever mentioned my friend, 450-500Nm is the figure to work from.

Torque in Nm or Ft Lb's is only a calculated figure anyway and cant be measured directly. It is also worth noting that your engine will only produce its max torque figure at around 2,000 to 2,500rpms depending on the map.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 01:59 PM   #51
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

600nm shit

Ok i said i wouldnt mention again but look at post 25 on this thread by dagjohnson i quote ess now remap 325d 280 bhp and 600nm .

If i did have a box failure do you think emaps would want to come out and remove the map on the back of a repair truck F---ME GET REAL .

My neighbour worked for chandlers bmw group from 1984 till the end of march 2008 and i would take his advise every time over so called bmw experts on certain web sites im guessing every one likes to think they know best .

I accept there is room for improvement in all areas and its a compromise what you get has to be reliable /affordable/and also return bmw a profit

To be honest i only ever wanted a bmw map from hartge as i was advised months ago they were the bees knees but to start fitting lsd etc i only wanted a few extra bhp released from my ecu .I have opened a can of worms

I am more than Happy to piss the salesman about build his hopes up then tell him to do one .

I was advised the hub issue was resolved Call me a naieve c--- .Water off a ducks back .

I have enough time to do the hubs properly my self but why should i plenty of you have had them done for free .I may be a tw*t for thinking i should be treated better than just joe bloggs as i have purchased 7 new bmws from them since 1993 YES i do expect a little bit of special consideration . Like i said im happy to waste there time just like they have mine

The service at chandlers bmw has become a joke

maybe another reason i am carefull with my 325d e90 is i paid for mine with cash .my cash not financed not companys mine and i will be the one paying when things go wrong
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 02:19 PM   #52
Ant397
United Kingdom
Rep

Many of us pay for our own cars with our own cash, not finance and what does that matter anyway?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 02:39 PM   #53
Ant397
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba0010 View Post
Ok i said i wouldnt mention again but look at post 25 on this thread by dagjohnson i quote ess now remap 325d 280 bhp and 600nm .

If i did have a box failure do you think emaps would want to come out and remove the map on the back of a repair truck F---ME GET REAL .

My neighbour worked for chandlers bmw group from 1984 till the end of march 2008 and i would take his advise every time over so called bmw experts on certain web sites im guessing every one likes to think they know best .

I accept there is room for improvement in all areas and its a compromise what you get has to be reliable /affordable/and also return bmw a profit

To be honest i only ever wanted a bmw map from hartge as i was advised months ago they were the bees knees but to start fitting lsd etc i only wanted a few extra bhp released from my ecu .I have opened a can of worms

I am more than Happy to piss the salesman about build his hopes up then tell him to do one .

I was advised the hub issue was resolved Call me a naieve c--- .Water off a ducks back .

I have enough time to do the hubs properly my self but why should i plenty of you have had them done for free .I may be a tw*t for thinking i should be treated better than just joe bloggs as i have purchased 7 new bmws from them since 1993 YES i do expect a little bit of special consideration . Like i said im happy to waste there time just like they have mine

The service at chandlers bmw has become a joke

maybe another reason i am carefull with my 325d e90 is i paid for mine with cash .my cash not financed not companys mine and i will be the one paying when things go wrong
Anyway, who rattled your cage? I never gave you a derogatory remark, so please dont snap back. My points are true and valied and thanks for pointing out the dagjohnsen was talking Sh!te!

RE removing the map on the back of a repair truck and fook me get real, is it really such a stupid comment?

You can still get just a remap from Hartge with Kevin at Birds. Im sure if you say firmly that you only want the remap, im sure he'll do it, but you cant call him for giving you advice and his professional opinion can you? Gees

I never called you a naieve C--- either, there was no profanity in my post. Seriously though, did you honestly hand on heart beleive a salesman would stay true to his word on such a controversial topic that he probably knows nothing about?

I also never thought you where a t*at, if I did I wouldnt have wasted my time in the first place although now im not too sure to be really honest with you.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 02:44 PM   #54
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

its mine

As its mine i care that little bit more .And if i feel hard done by my local stealer i will waste there time ,I was more than happy to explain how dissapointed i was with there attitude to the rusty hubs and other niggly faults .I also dont care to much if they dont care because there will always be another dealer willing to take my money .

Funny you mention loads own there own car im sure you are correct.I have it on good authority 90% bmw are subject to some sort of finance .But as i have to pay for my own i tend to be extra careful and look after the bmw i buy .So if i am pissed about my hubs so be it my problem .
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 02:46 PM   #55
Ant397
United Kingdom
Rep

So are all 4 of mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba0010 View Post
So if i am pissed about my hubs so be it my problem .
Here here

So, you getting it remapped then or not?

I'd hate to think we havent helped you at all!
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 02:53 PM   #56
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Alpina d3

Hi antz
sorry you feel i am having a go. I am not i have spoken to dms i did speak to k bird i also asked bmw and it sounds like i have limited potential and should have bought something different like your d3 .To be honest i didnt know they was available in the uk.awesome car.

I will wait for bmw performance range to become available on the 21 april and see what is offered by them before i go down any route .But if im going to spend some £ on a car im not 100% happy with im proberbly better using that £to add to the exchange
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 03:08 PM   #57
Ant397
United Kingdom
Rep

You are right, you do have limited potential, but that doesn't mean your car cant be totally transformed for very little outlay.

Seriously, hand on heart, you have very little to worry about if you did choose to have your car re-mapped.

I dont want to seem like I've got a big head, cause its only 57cm around, but I have done things to and pretty much down right abused BMW's proucts to where you would expect something to let go and we have never had a single component failure apart from wear and tear like clutches for instance. Certainly never a Gearbox or drivetrain.

I can assure you that BMW over engineer by more than people realise. From what I've found, the engines that BMW put in their cars cant produce enough power to simply obliterate other parts. It just does not happen.

Our current d3 is our own creation, based on a 3.0L 330d manual, not an Alpina 2.0L. Its unfortunate, but we have been using the d3 badge since 2004, we should have patented it! Our d3's now produce 50% more power and torque over a standard car and we have never had a failure, even after covering over 30,000 miles of hard driving with high prolonged loads on the engines, nothing.

Your 325d would be absolutely fine and be a totally transformed car, if you want it, do it.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 03:28 PM   #58
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
dagjohnsen Quote:
Hans Christian Andersen belongs to the world of the UK tuners, they have no clue how to remap this engine due to serious lack of knowledge.
Over to you Ant, but what the f**k do you know about anything huh
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 03:34 PM   #59
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Who would you use

Thanks ant so who would you use ? and what should i pay? in terms of the map what is important to me is it has to be smooth not a huge lump all at once . I dont want it to be just about getting as much as possible .just to release a bit more in terms of bhp and torque .

Sorry to be thick but i thought they turned up with a standard upgraded map and tried to wring every last once out of the car . I will hold fire until bmw performance show there hand later this month .

I was also told 3 or 4 months ago the new 2008 ed spec cars ecu was just about impossible to get in to due to the latest encryption ? is this nonsense as well .It was suggested it was bmw attempting to stop third party map companys playing with there ecus .As it was going to be bmw performance depts new revenue route ?

I am sure all the guys on here have offered sound advise and thankyou to all who have contributed to this thread

Chandlers bmw btn are still getting my anger
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 03:37 PM   #60
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

oops

Hi is there some mileage restriction on mapping ie running in standard car for some amount of miles .mine has done 1450mls to date
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 03:38 PM   #61
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
Scooba you could always go for a reduced tune ?

If you are truly worried about the transmission then LSD is NOT for you. It will convert all the torque to the ground, therefore give you more torque reaction and then that's when you endanger the gearbox, don't get me wrong, I have LSD on mine now, because I WANT to get all the power down, and not spin the wheels, but Spinning wheels do not damage the gearbox if that makes sense.

I'd just go for the map. Simon at e-maps is your best bet.

SJ
      04-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #62
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant397 View Post
You are right, you do have limited potential, but that doesn't mean your car cant be totally transformed for very little outlay.

Seriously, hand on heart, you have very little to worry about if you did choose to have your car re-mapped.

I dont want to seem like I've got a big head, cause its only 57cm around, but I have done things to and pretty much down right abused BMW's proucts to where you would expect something to let go and we have never had a single component failure apart from wear and tear like clutches for instance. Certainly never a Gearbox or drivetrain.

I can assure you that BMW over engineer by more than people realise. From what I've found, the engines that BMW put in their cars cant produce enough power to simply obliterate other parts. It just does not happen.

Our current d3 is our own creation, based on a 3.0L 330d manual, not an Alpina 2.0L. Its unfortunate, but we have been using the d3 badge since 2004, we should have patented it! Our d3's now produce 50% more power and torque over a standard car and we have never had a failure, even after covering over 30,000 miles of hard driving with high prolonged loads on the engines, nothing.

Your 325d would be absolutely fine and be a totally transformed car, if you want it, do it.
You make me larf mate 57 cm around lol

04-13-2008, 05:32 PM   #63
Ant397
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
You make me larf mate 57 cm around lol

Arai tells me that...

Scooba: Who would I use for a re-map? The one and only Superchips ofcourse. They are the market leaders and we have been working side by side with them for years. They are truely the market leaders in my eyes and their customer service and backup is second to none.
We use them because its a named brand that you can trust and is going no where. They are here for the long term and they do not quote performance figures that are pie in the sky. What they say is what you get. We have re-mapped hundreds of cars using their software without 1 single complaint or problem. Yes they offer the warranty where if the car manufacturer wont cover a fault that is proved to be the re-maps sole cause, they will. They also offer a 7 day money back guarantee on all their products for total peace of mind.
For your car, they quote a 35bhp increase and 80Nm. We can also offer you and any other member of E90Post a discounted price as well, not a group buy or limited time offer, full time. All the details will be on our new site at www.speedreligion.net with a very extensive tuning area, but until then, the offer of our services is still here.

RE the 2008 ecu's, its only a matter of time and once you know how these things work, it will be possible some day for sure. Until then, its all an unknown as to how and whats involved.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 05:35 PM   #64
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant397 View Post
Arai tells me that...

Scooba: Who would I use for a re-map? The one and only Superchips ofcourse. They are the market leaders and we have been working side by side with them for years. They are truely the market leaders in my eyes and their customer service and backup is second to none.
We use them because its a named brand that you can trust and is going no where. They are here for the long term and they do not quote performance figures that are pie in the sky. What they say is what you get. We have re-mapped hundreds of cars using their software without 1 single complaint or problem. Yes they offer the warranty where if the car manufacturer wont cover a fault that is proved to be the re-maps sole cause, they will. They also offer a 7 day money back guarantee on all their products for total peace of mind.
For your car, they quote a 35bhp increase and 80Nm. We can also offer you and any other member of E90Post a discounted price as well, not a group buy or limited time offer, full time. All the details will be on our new site at www.speedreligion.net with a very extensive tuning area, but until then, the offer of our services is still here.

RE the 2008 ecu's, its only a matter of time and once you know how these things work, it will be possible some day for sure. Until then, its all an unknown as to how and whats involved.

What Arai do you have? I have an An old skool GP3K i had from new in 2ooo.

Snell SA 2000 at the time so pretty safe. I do like the Arai Skid lids. Very good indeedy
      04-13-2008, 05:51 PM   #65
Ant397
United Kingdom
Rep

Edwards RX-7 RR. Should be changed now tho, as its over its use date, but I cant find anything else in their range that I like the look of. Here's pics:

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2008, 06:00 PM   #66
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Oh mine was standard white, not a motorbike helmet but a racing car helmet. slightly different, also with satety ratings also. Mine was safe for formula one lol.

You look like your going seriously quick in the pics mate! She a 750 or a 1000? A Mte had a 750 a few years back. Nice bike for sure