E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > extended warranty offered by BMW

02-25-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
TwinPowerF30
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Coupe

extended warranty offered by BMW

Can I buy BMW extended warranty from a different dealer than where I originally purchased the car? I have a 2011 with a little over a year of the original warranty left. Also is the price negotiable?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
Andrewah05
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i TiAg

Pretty sure you can, don't see why not, call and double check.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
Havok_2011
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2011 M3 Coupe

You can buy a third party warranty from any shop that sells them.

I picked up mine from Ron at StreetXtreme.

NationWide Warranty, full coverage up to 200,000 km, no limit on years.

Beats anything BMW will pillage your pockets for.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #4
m42stanle
N52B25
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 LCI (323i)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weiweiwei View Post
Can I buy BMW extended warranty from a different dealer than where I originally purchased the car? I have a 2011 with a little over a year of the original warranty left. Also is the price negotiable?

Thanks.
Yes, you can even buy it online - I got mine (7 yr / 160 km) from bmwshop.ca at the end of last year with a discount code which saved about 12% ($3699 - $3249 = $450 off). You should be getting these discount offers for warranty and service inclusive mailed to you on a regular basis by BMW (I would usually get one toward the end of each year with an expiry of Dec 31st).

You may be able to do better than this if you go in and haggle with the dealer directly - I know they have a lot of margin on these products.

If you do buy online it's super easy - you just enter in all your info, it gets validated by BMW and you get a PDF e-mailed to you in a few days with the contract signed by BMW. If you are putting it on a credit card for the points, let your CC company know in advance - mine got held up at first due to a fraud alert.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 09:44 AM   #5
awarhold
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT2RS

Be careful with extended warranties. The list of exclusions is exhaustive. This is especially the case with 3rd party providers. Read any such warranty very carefully...
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #6
m42stanle
N52B25
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 LCI (323i)

Quote:
Originally Posted by awarhold View Post
Be careful with extended warranties. The list of exclusions is exhaustive. This is especially the case with 3rd party providers. Read any such warranty very carefully...
This is a very good point, and it's part of the reason in the end I went with the BMW factory option even though it has a big premium over some of the third party offerings out there.

OP, I shopped around for quite a while before deciding and the two big things that steered me away from the third party warranties like NationWide were:

1) Exclusions: all of the third party warranties set out a list of what *is* covered and anything that is not on the list is explicitly excluded. Looking at the PDF contract for the BMW product and it is a very simply worded blanket extension of the new car limited warranty, including the same [IMHO reasonable] exclusions (paint finish; vibrations/rattles; we won't cover your car if you race it on a track, etc, etc).

2) Limits: all of the third party warranties that I looked at had upper limits on coverage, even the so called "cadillac" premium policies. They would cover up to something like $3500 per claim or the value of the car and after that you were on your own. I hope it doesn't happen, but knowing BMW parts and labour prices I don't think it would be too hard to exceed this even for a single claim. Again, looking at my PDF contract right now and there is no such exclusion - it's a blanket extension of the factory warranty.

There is a small advantage also of this being an all-BMW agreement... there is no need to have approval from any third party for large repairs but I have also heard stories that BMW SAs work well with third party warranty reps anyway (they used to sell these before 2011 themselves) so not sure how big a differentiator this is in the end.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
MrPig
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 STI, '90 325iS

Garage List
1990 BMW 325is  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok_2011 View Post
You can buy a third party warranty from any shop that sells them.

I picked up mine from Ron at StreetXtreme.

NationWide Warranty, full coverage up to 200,000 km, no limit on years.

Beats anything BMW will pillage your pockets for.
How are they with modded cars? Debating on whether to get extended power train warranty on my sexually transmitted infection. I mean STI.
      03-07-2014, 10:38 AM   #8
LAFNGAS
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 335I, 09 Twin Turbo GCSRT8

so who would you guys suggest in alberta for this?
Appreciate 0