E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Winter and sun roofs

03-13-2014, 02:56 PM   #1
Foghorn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335XI

Winter and sun roofs

Sometimes the best person to poke fun at is yourself, so here goes.

Off I went to the dealer yesterday morning to pick up parts before going to work, it was a pretty nice morning in the context of winter in Montreal. Got the parts I needed so for the drive to the train I open the sun roof tilt and enjoyed a nice morning drive with the tunes on. Might as well enjoy it I thought since the forecast was for 20cm of snow with 60 to 80 km winds starting in the early afternoon.

The day went well enough and there were no delays on the train ride home. As I arrive at my car I see a nice snow bank forming over the roof and over the driver's side door. Oh well, I'll just jump in to start her up then clean her off.

I brushed off some snow around the door and window before opening the door so I don't get too much snow in the car. What a colloasal waste of time that was!

As I opened the door I saw a snow bank from door to door across the front seats and console about 20cm deep! OMFG! I had forgotten to close the sun roof!!!

I first tried to close the sun roof with no success, there was so much snow packed in around it that it would just re-open right away. After cleaning with my hands from inside and out, after about 6 attemps it mostly closed.

I took the snow brush and brushed out as much as I could from the interior, cleaned off the car and drove home without heat so as not to melt the snow.

Once home I got changed and headed for the shop vac in the garage. Of course I'd used it for construction jobs so I had to empty and clean it out before using it for wet.

I had to stuff the hose down the sides of the accordian seal on each side of the sun roof making sure to reach all the way forward while poking at the seal inside to loosen up the now wind packed snow. Once the roof was closed I could go onto vacuuming the rest of the interior - with the door open - while it's snowing and blowing right back into the car

The worst part? I had reprogrammed the key fob to close the windows and sun roof on lock. Did I hold the lock button? No. Did I look back to make sure I hadn't forgotten aything? No. Feel like a dumbass? YES!!!

I'm ready for spring now.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #2
dulak
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Montego Blue

OMG, I'm sorry but I am dying laughing right now . That's terrible, hopefully you were able to clean it all off.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 03:46 PM   #3
dassub
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 328xi sport line

Garage List
I had the sunroof wide open 2 days ago in +10 weather! Now? Closed until further notice.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 07:10 AM   #4
Briancanadiano
Brian335tt
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i premium package 19"ri

I'm sorry to hear op, but that is a funny story
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 12:54 PM   #5
335alive
i accidentally the verb
Canada
Rep
Drives: 13 Subaru BRZ

Dang. I did the same thing a couple of summers ago. Left the sunroof vented (not open, but raised) when I went into work. Torrential downpour happened out of nowhere. Thought nothing of it...until 10 minutes after it stopped when I went to my car to get something, and found an inch of water on my seats, water marks on the headliner, and splash-back EVERYWHERE! On the steering wheel, radio, even on the rearview mirror!

Told my boss I was off the clock for half an hour and went out right away with a chamois to clean it up. Luckily no lasting damage. I was mostly worried about water-marks on the light-gray headliner, but I lucked out and there is no trace.

Hope everything turns out okay!
'08 E90 335i 6MT - SOLD
'13 BRZ SportTech 6MT - current
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 12:56 PM   #6
Foghorn
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335XI

It's all good guys, I posted it for a laugh

Took the car out last night for a run to warm up the interior since she lives outside. A balmy -12° C last night, windows open a crack, think I got almost all the moisture out now, at least the interior of all the windows wasn't iced over this morning at -17° C
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 06:46 PM   #7
Stone_Mtl
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335xi

pics would of been even better thx for the lolll
Appreciate 0