E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335d touring evolved

02-03-2011, 08:45 AM   #1
elucid
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

335d touring evolved

Combining two popular topics it’s another remap and tyre thread

My Michelin Pilot Sport 2 RFT (on 18” MV3 alloys) were due replacement. Decided to ditch the run flats and go with Continental Sport Contact 3 last Friday. As per the numerous threads on this simple update the ride quality over ruts and bumps in the road is *much* improved. Day to day driving is more relaxed and enjoyable. Used Event Tyres, good price and the fitter had zero fuss swapping RFT for normal rubber. Also purchased a Slime mobility kit from eBay http://bit.ly/gy8nCC

Yesterday I popped over to Evolve HQ. I had the 335d touring remapped with a switch box and dyno’d at the same time too. Pre map the car ‘only’ put down 276 bhp which is at the lower end of a standard 335d scale. Post map however it’s running at 340 bhp and the difference is well… sublime. Power delivery in town traffic is unaffected it’s as smooth to drive as it was before. Get an open stretch of clear road and the build up to speed (NSL obviously) is a whole new experience. The car feels like an elastic band being flicked and the surge available from the new found torque utterly addictive. Big thank you to Imran and Rizwan at Evolve

Lucky for me no Clio’s seen on the way home and Dave’s over there -->

Last edited by elucid; 02-03-2011 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: pre map bhp figure updated
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
elucid
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Dyno results:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
Billyray911
Brigadier General
Venezuela
Rep
Drives: Blah

Can't wait to get mine remapped too-glad your enjoying the extra oomph!
How do you find the traction with the extra power?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
elucid
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyray911 View Post
Can't wait to get mine remapped too-glad your enjoying the extra oomph!
How do you find the traction with the extra power?
There was light rain on the way home after the remap however the extra power doesn’t kick if you’re progressive with the throttle, it’s just a pure joyous surge… oh yes.

Depending on driving style you could easily break traction out of every junction and even spin the wheels on a roll in a straight line. It’s all down to driving style I suppose. My wife has driven the car and didn’t feel it was too different to before, quote ‘it goes faster a bit quicker’

How soon before you get yours mapped and who are you going with?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #5
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d sapphire black

That's the thing with a remapped 335d......... light progressive throttle (90% of my driving style TBH) just going with the flow etc & the car is so so tame. Even reasonably fast acceleration probably only requires 50% throttle.

However, press the accelerator all the way to the floor as fast as you can & jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus................

I know the sounds obvious but it's not something I do all that often but when I do it's unreal.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

The shape of the pre-remap power curve looks a bit freaky. Why the hump at about 3,400rpm? The spec sheet for the 335d gives peak power at 4,400rpm.

Also how is flywheel power calculated, since the measurement has to be done at the wheels?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #7
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: All of them

Thanks for the feedback. It was nice meeting you.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #8
Imran@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: All of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
The shape of the pre-remap power curve looks a bit freaky. Why the hump at about 3,400rpm? The spec sheet for the 335d gives peak power at 4,400rpm.

Also how is flywheel power calculated, since the measurement has to be done at the wheels?
Flywheel figures are calculated by the dyno using the shootout mode.
The wheel figures are recorded too for the same runs but because of the 'flywheel' culture in this country we tend to give these out only.

The pre remap curve is not quite normal at the higher rpm's. The reason for this is because the touring has extra weight at the rear and as the torque drops off the tyres make more contact with the rear roller (non reading) and thus increasing frictional losses.

It would be safe to say that the standard car was making close to 280-290hp if you extrapolate the graph in a way which the car would make natural power.

After the remap the additional power/torque is enough to hold the car in a stable position on the front roller to give a far more accurate and natural power curve.

Same thing happens with some cabriolets and on cars where people have something very heavy in the boot.... like dead bodies.
.... Or big stereo equipment.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
hmi1750
Major
Rep
Drives: M135i

fantastic! look forward to a spin
Appreciate 0