E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Waxing/sealing Alpine White

01-28-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
Steve vRS
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d ED

Waxing/sealing Alpine White

My new car is ordered and hopefully due in April.

I have always used Swissol products on previous cars (even Skodas ) but wondered what your opinion is for an alternative product.

I don't want to spend a fortune nor waste a full weekend on a detail but also don't want to suffer tar spots up the flanks of the car!

Thanks

Steve
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
I have now been caring for an Alpine White E90 M3 for almost 2 years now, and can defo say it will be my last white car ever!!

Tar spots show up on it, along with just about everything else! The bottom of the sills/sideskirts are the worst area just behind the front wheels - I use a tar remover quite regularly here, but the paint is also chipping a bit as well.

As for sealing I use DoDo Juice 'Light Fantastic' hard wax topped up weekly by Meguiares Quik Detail spray (used after every wash)

The car gets snowfoamed and pressure washed regularly (every wash) as it is easier to keep on top of it IMO. Every 6 months or so I clay the car and use DoDo juice Lime Prime Lite to give the paint a thorough clean before re-applying Megs Polish, Megs Carnuba Wax and then seal with DoDo Light Fantastic.

I am planing this year to do a full machine polish, just waiting for the spring to arrive!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
Steve vRS
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d ED

Hmm.

It was either white or black.My wife has a black A3 and that is a nightmare to keep clean so I wanted to go white.

Thanks for you input!

Steve
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
I have now been caring for an Alpine White E90 M3 for almost 2 years now, and can defo say it will be my last white car ever!!
Can't believe you have had it 2 years Paul!

Have you decided on the next car yet?
      01-29-2011, 04:16 AM   #5
EddieL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport

This is my third white car and I love them, but I do spend a lot of time keeping them clean and protected. Unfortunately it is time consuming, but so is any colour. Once you have done the initial clean it is then a matter of little and often and like M3 Fast says a good clean once every six months (I tend to do it more often). Very rewarding it is too on a summers day.

You may want to consider G techniq products. They seem to be getting excellent reviews for long lasting protections. The C2 you use a sealant can then be diluted and used as a QD with top up protection after each wash.

http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars...ing-bada-boom/
      01-29-2011, 08:20 AM   #6
Pioneer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: e92 320d M sport

With the car being white i'd advise sticking to sealants as they always look better on lighter cars. With me detailing cars i've cut my products down to using mainly G techniq products but also keep some of the top end waxes from swissvax and most of the customers i get are choosing to go with G techniq more and more now. The G techniq products are very good and easy to use, the c2 is probably the easiest to use out of the range and works so well. 1 layer applied neat should get you 6-8 months of protection.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 09:04 AM   #7
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
The G techniq products are very good and easy to use, the c2 is probably the easiest to use out of the range and works so well. 1 layer applied neat should get you 6-8 months of protection.
The G Techiq products seem to get a good write on many forums including Detailing World.

What products from the range would you recommend prior to finishing off with C2?
I'd be grateful for a mini write up on a good wash regime using G Techniq products.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #8
kdiz
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve vRS View Post

I have always used Swissol products on previous cars (even Skodas ) but wondered what your opinion is for an alternative product.

I don't want to spend a fortune nor waste a full weekend on a detail but also don't want to suffer tar spots up the flanks of the car!

Thanks

Steve
I use dodo wax a lot, really good for a lower price, lasts a good 2 months or so for their soft wax. I havent used a full pot of wax yet in 14 months when using it on two cars, it's about £35 a pot.

Don't forget to buy yourself some good shampoo and most importantly clay. Clay will help get rid of any tar spots etc to keep your white car white.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post

Fack me that's just what I was thinking!
      01-29-2011, 10:15 AM   #10
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve vRS View Post

Thanks

Steve
White might be a bit boring, but it's so easy to maintain and, seeing as the primer's the same colour, stone chips are considerably less visible than on darker cars.
From day one I used Werkstat Acrylic Jett - cheap, dead easy to use, spray on/wipe off and no residue on rubber seals.
For tar spots, brake dust and road grime etc., I use Autosmart Tardis, spray on and watch the muck melt away.
I use these guys because they're local and give good advice, check their informative website: http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 10:20 AM   #11
Pioneer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

What products from the range would you recommend prior to finishing off with C2?
I'd be grateful for a mini write up on a good wash regime using G Techniq products. [/QUOTE]

It depends on weather or not the paint needs corrected to remove swirls.
G techniq has no shampoo so any good quality shampoo will do for washing, but one without gloss enhancers as you don't want to cover the coating on a car that has c1 or c2 applied. G techniq do clay bars but any clay bar will do the same job. The p1 polish is very good even by hand but is better again when using a machine. p2 is for refining the paint even further if it needs done.

Once polished the c2 can be applied straight on top of the polish. If using another polish other than G techniq the paint will need an IPA wipedown before applying c2. Good thing about c2 is it can be applied to trim and glass , and also every 3 or 4 washes you can mix a very small amount of c2 with distilled water to make up a quick detailer to keep the c2 coating fresh. There is videos on G techniq web site off all the products. The glass, wheel, and trim products are top class too.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #12
Scud
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 320d coupe m sport

I would recommend Jeffs acrylic kit, you can find it at PolishedBliss.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2011, 05:52 PM   #13
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Fack me that's just what I was thinking!
Well not quite 2 yrs yet, but will be 2 yrs in April I think. Time flies when your having fun

Not sure what to get yet, prob something bigger like an F10 5 series. I will see what deal I can get on the new M5 probably BUT I also have the Porsche itch I want to scratch so I may get a 997 for the summer and then get the 5 series after. Get it over and done with now whilst the little fella is still young and can fit in the back seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
It depends on weather or not the paint needs corrected to remove swirls.
G techniq has no shampoo so any good quality shampoo will do for washing, but one without gloss enhancers as you don't want to cover the coating on a car that has c1 or c2 applied. G techniq do clay bars but any clay bar will do the same job. The p1 polish is very good even by hand but is better again when using a machine. p2 is for refining the paint even further if it needs done.

Once polished the c2 can be applied straight on top of the polish. If using another polish other than G techniq the paint will need an IPA wipedown before applying c2. Good thing about c2 is it can be applied to trim and glass , and also every 3 or 4 washes you can mix a very small amount of c2 with distilled water to make up a quick detailer to keep the c2 coating fresh. There is videos on G techniq web site off all the products. The glass, wheel, and trim products are top class too.

Interesting stuff, will keep an eye out for these products. Which supplier do you use?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 11:26 AM   #14
Pioneer
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Interesting stuff, will keep an eye out for these products. Which supplier do you use?[/QUOTE]

I just buy direct from G Techniq web site. some of the products only have 15-25ml in the bottle but with these products a little goes a long way. Look the products up on detailing world forum for reviews. It's the only thing i use on my own car and i have a choice of some quite expensive waxes.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 03:24 AM   #15
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
I can definitely recommend the BMW hard wax with nano protection; it can be bought off ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-HARD-WAX-n...item45f8224044
Appreciate 0