E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > E92 08 335xi Starting Issues/Alternator Issues/Misfires Please Help

01-20-2020, 12:57 AM   #1
graphitegrey
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi E92

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
E92 08 335xi Starting Issues/Alternator Issues/Misfires Please Help

Hello guys i have an 08 335xi e92 with 118,000 miles. Ive been having a series of issues and i am having a hard time diagnosing what the issue is. My main issue is the vehicle will not always start even when the battery is charged enough to start it is very confusing. My voltage fluctuates between 12.5-14.5 volts but is typically between 13.5-14.5. When i am driving it will be fine for a little bit after i charge the battery but after driving for about a half hour my brake light, 4x4 light, and abs light comes on but with no apparent issues to the systems so my thoughts are it is voltage related. When i dont charge up the battery the car wont wont run properly sometimes like no power at all about to stall. I have installed a rebuilt alternator with a new bosch voltage regulator didnt make a difference i still get the code 2e97 DME generator. I believe maybe i got a faulty voltage regulator but i am not sure car stays running when i disconnect from the battery. I am extremly confused at this point my CAS does not work right away on my car it only works if i start it with key in ignition and then take key out and start it back up with it out of it. Doors cas feautures never work. Not sure if this is related to the issue. The codes i have are intermittent and dont always come back right away but these are the ones that come up most often. I also will occasionally get sparks on my negative jump terminal when jumping it under the hood. I have yet to figure out why but believe that is related to the issue as well.
2e97 DME generator
2c78 DME OXGEN SENSOR 2 after catalytic converter signal
2a17 DME DMTL system fault
2e1b DME firing cylinder 4
2e1c DME firing cylinder 5
30a3 DME ignition coil cylinder 4 activation
30a4 DME ignition coil cylinder 5 activation

DME shadow code
2FDB crankshaft sensor signal not plausible.

I do have a misfire that is confusing as well i have installed new ngk spark plugs and did a dme repair on mosfet for cylinder 4 msd80 ecu. I just want to know whats up i love the car but i need it to be reliable and i need to get rid of these misfires. Im aware i need to change the 02 sensors but the misfire was there before that code ever showed up. I have mhd but have flashed car back to stock. If you have any questions that could help you help me figure this out let me know i appreciate all the help in advance. At this point i am ready to buy a brand new alternator and upgrade ecu to msd81 and install new index 12 injectors. I just need the car to be reliable before i go wasting all that money and still have the issues.

I have installed a new battery and i have also done intake valve cleaning when changing out alternator to rule those things out.

Appreciate 0