E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > TSB on rear seat rattle?

01-03-2008, 09:08 AM   #1
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

TSB on rear seat rattle?

Happy new year all!

Quick question(s) - car is due to go to dealer in the next few weeks to resolve a squealing sound coming from the brakes - i think (rear left) its been mentioned in another post but some ppl say it may need de-glazing or something like that - acutally I can do that - i eat copious amounts of krisspy kremes!

Onto the question - Does anyone know if there is a TSB on the rear seat rattle issue, i think e92fan or viv maybe able to help here?
I had some work done on this in the summer, and whilst the noise is better it still happens (creaking sound) especially in cold weather. (note - don't think its the rear vent issue or leather creak)

someone on the US forums alluded to the fact that a tsb may exist (e92)

cheers
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 03:09 PM   #2
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Wink

Tony knows more about rear seat e92 rattles than anyone else I know, and I know a lot of people.

He'll be here soon, I'm sure.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
I doubt it... i heard he'd been sat at a bar all day getting wasted !

SJ
      01-03-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serjames View Post
I doubt it... i heard he'd been sat at a bar all day getting wasted !

SJ
Meee? In a bar getting wasted?! Couldn't possibly know what you're talking about fecker..

Right, someone ask about rear seat rattles? To date, there is no official TSB on rear seat rattles on the E92. Having said that, BMW Customer Services are aware that there have been a few cases (mine in particular) that have warranted very in depth investigation.

Basically, there are FIVE main causes of rattles and squeaks from the back:

1) rear parcel shelf - on very early E92s there was a tolerance issue with the rear parcel shelf and this could creak slightly over sharp bumps. Where this is an apparent fault, BMW dealers know to replace this.

2) rear vent on parcel shelf - again, tolerance issues and if this is a problem, it's a known dealer fix

3) rear seat locks - where the folding rear seats engage the metal locks, sometimes there is need for adjustment to make the latching tighter. However, this only partially solves the rattle problem, because it can sometimes be the internal lock mechanism that is rattling, and adjustment of the seat won't cure that. A quick spray of silicone or something similar can help, but it's a bit of a irritation still.

4) rear seat frame - if you listen carefully I am almost certain that the creaks/rattles will be coming from the left rear of the cabin, and not the right rear. That is because the seats are a 60/40 split, and because the left hand part of the rear seat is the 60 portion, it can have excessive movement in the frame. This can be exacerbated by a tolerance issue with the lower seat pivot (which is all in one piece) - there have been cases where the tolerance here is not tight enough and therefore that portion of the seat back is free to move about on the pivot. The only solution is for a replacement rear seat frame (the whole thing).

5) rear armrest and rear console - the rear armrest might need tightening up, and the rear console plastic sliding cover may also be rattling. If it is, there is no adjustment possible - just a replacement part. As a temporary measure, try wedging a tennis ball under the cover - it needs a bit of squeezing to fit, but it does stop the rattle. A little inelegant though as a solution!

There is another potential source of a rattling noise, but isn't from the cabin itself. It can stem from the rear brake pads rattling around in the caliper. This also seems linked to a squeaking sound from the brakes. Dealer investigation required and reseating of the pads will probably be necessary.

You should also try the following experiment - sit a passenger in the front passenger seat and drive over sharp bumps. Has the noise disappeared substantially? It could be that the front passenger seat is slightly loose on the base and requires tightening. Also, sit a passenger on the left rear seat, leaning back. Drive over a bumpy road again and see if the noise disappears. If it does, then it's definitely the rear seat frame and/or seat locking mechanism..

Good luck!

Last edited by E92Fan; 01-10-2008 at 09:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 08:33 AM   #5
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Thanks viv, Tony,

Fantastic info! I think you should be a master tech!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
mine squeeks when i park up sometimes from the rarm cant be arsed for the dealer to keep it weeks on end tho.
      01-25-2008, 10:26 PM   #7
Luongo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera T

Mine makes creaking noise if the car is left out in the cold weather for a while.

While the interior of the car warms up, there is pretty annoying creaking/clicking noise from the rear.

Funny thing is, the noise is present even when the car isn't moving and it subsides when I turn the ventilation off.

BMW has some serious quality control issues and I am so close to just trading this car away for something else.

I'll take a hit trading it in, but I just can't take this anymore.

I took my car in for service over 3 times with no success. It is definitely coming from the rear shelf somewhere, but I just can't figure out where.

I $%^ing give up...
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2008, 06:21 AM   #8
yatesey
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320 SE cab

Garage List
just had the folding rear seat on my E93 refitted as it was creaking over all the road bumps!!!!...i think it was to do with the catches when it locks into place, although id heard the lower hinges could be causing the rattle too.....local dealer just nodded when i mentioned it to him..as if i wasnt the 1st!!!..al fixed and quiet now!

Y

"sex on legs!...well.. wheels!!..."
Appreciate 0